Wolfgang Fred Rump
Re: Grandfather Left To Avoid The Army
Datum 1999/11/14 18:52:42
Thomas Salein
Re: Black Hussars Guard
1999/11/14 06:23:34
Mary Popovich
Re: Revolution of 1848
Betreff 1999/11/27 15:17:22
Wolfgang Naujocks
Riesenerfolg fuer neue Genealogiemailingliste FaMOS
1999/11/14 18:02:59
Wolfgang Fred Rump
Re: Grandfather Left To Avoid The Army
Autor 1999/11/15 03:42:51
Wolfgang Fred Rump
Re: Elbing/Bonin

Re: Revolution of 1848

Date: 1999/11/14 18:47:03
From: Wolfgang Fred Rump <fredrump(a)...

On 13 Nov 99, at 22:21, Mary Popovich wrote:

> The 1848 revolution was not a peasants' revolt. On the contrary, many
> of Germany's intelligentsia were part of it, particularly college
> students. I happened to be in college during the early 1970s studying
> 19th century European history and found that things don't change much.
> The students referred to the German police as pigs back then, and
> burned a pig's tail as a symbol of their contempt for civil authority.
> This happened at Heidelburg University.

Correct. This is in connection with the question as to why a family
would leave in 1854 for being on the "wrong side".

As I was paging through my newest aquisition, the Elbing/Grunau
book, the dictatorial lifestyle people tried to resist came through
again loud and clear.

A couple examples: Adolph Phillips *2 Feb., 1813 in Königsberg,
+29 Mar., 1877 Elbing. He was the son of a James Phillips of
Birmingham. Was Oberlandesgerichtsassesor and appointed to the
Elbing city council and various other titles. In 1843 he was named
Lordmayor (Oberbürgermeister) of Elbing. Since Phillips
participated in some of the deliberations of 1848 and the city
council itself was on the side of more democracy a lingering battle
between the city and the royal administration in Marienwerder
lasted for years. Finally in 1853 Phillips was canned. He was made
to resign and there were no bones made about why. He simply was
too democratic for the king's taste. There are several pages
devoted to this account. Escapes from the police via Schnellboot to
Kahlberg and on and on. All of this came from the files of the
Geheime Staatsarchiv Berlin-Dahlem where the the various persons
who were deemed dangerous to the crown because of their political
convictions had to be transferred, silenced or otherwise be
eliminated from their seats of influence. All this 'zur Herstellung
eines besseren Geistes unter der Bevölkerung Elbings' as the
Landtagsabgeordeter Eduard Birkner-Cadinen wrote. Censorship,
withdrawal of printing privileges, withholding of funds owed to the
city fathers - all these were part of the repression of dissent in just
one little city in West Prussia.

Jacon von Riesen was another of the many who were influencial,
wealthy and among the intelligencia. He owned shipping
companies, newspapers and sat on city council. In 1831 he wrote
a petition to the king for a more representative government as per
the kings own cabinett order of 2 May, 1815. His request for 'eine
repräsentative Verfassung nach solchen Grundsätzen, wie die
jetzige Zeit erfordert' also became the end of his political carrier.
Even in 1831 the fear of repression was so severe that only one
other person, the merchant Heinrich from Königsberg, joined him in
his request with his signature. The response from the Minister of
the Interior von Rochow was summary in that a mere subject of the
king has no understanding of the situation: "daß es dem
Untertanen nicht zieme, die Handlungen des Staatsoberhauptes an
den Maßstab seiner beschränkten Einsicht anzulegen". From this
note came the satirical comment which the Elbingers kept dear to
their hearts and what they called: das gepflügelte Wort vom
beschränkten Untertanenverstande. (ie the limited capability to
understand things by a subject of the state).

Prussian history is full of this type of represession of the individual
spirit. Von Riesen was so disgusted that he wanted to join his
older brother in America. He had already visited him in 1811 and
now thought it was time to remove himself also but his business
interests kept him in Elbing until he died in 1864.

One could go on with example after example to show some of the
other reasons people left for other countries where censorship and
governmental repression did not exist. Freedom was not just a
slogan to these people.

Fred