Monatsdigest

Venghaus

Date: 1999/09/04 02:15:09
From: Veasleyd <Veasleyd(a)aol.com>

For a cousin, I'm researching a Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus, born about 1818 in
the Kingdom of Hannover; by 1846 in St. Louis, Missouri, where he married at
the Evangelical Church of the Holy Spirit to Johanna Catherina Louisa Rose,
born in the Kingdom of Prussia.  He was a pump-manufacturer and brass
finisher; by the 1850 census he employed 5 other blacksmiths; he later
diversified into manufacturing locks.

Is anyone familiar with a parish where one might find a conjuncture of this
family name, religion, and occupation?  Virginia

Re: Venghaus + Gifhorn, Wolfsburg and Brausnchweig

Date: 1999/09/04 16:10:11
From: Maria und Jared Jobs <M.J.JOBS(a)t-online.de>

I looked into the German telephone directory. The name VENGHAUS appears a
lot in the Bielefeld aera, also "Ruhrpott" : Duesseldorf, Koeln, etc. --
Found the name ROSE in the Braunschweig aera, but not the fitting name. Is
somebody doing research in Gifhorn, Wolfsburg and Braunschweig aera ?

Kind regards,

Jared

> For a cousin, I'm researching a Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus, born about 1818
in
> the Kingdom of Hannover; by 1846 in St. Louis, Missouri, where he married
at
> the Evangelical Church of the Holy Spirit to Johanna Catherina Louisa
Rose,
> born in the Kingdom of Prussia.  He was a pump-manufacturer and brass
> finisher; by the 1850 census he employed 5 other blacksmiths; he later
> diversified into manufacturing locks.
>
> Is anyone familiar with a parish where one might find a conjuncture of
this
> family name, religion, and occupation?  Virginia

Bockhorn, Oldenburg - Janssen/Bredehorn/Witt/Brunken

Date: 1999/09/04 22:21:54
From: Eileen Johnson <ejohnson(a)forbin.com>

Hi,
    I just found our I have an ancestor born in Brockhorn, Oldenburg.
His name was Johann Freidrick Janssen.  He was born in 1849 and his
parents were Herman Janssen and Geske Brunken.  His wife was Katherine
Lena Bredehorn and her parents were Herman Bredehorn and Lena Witt.
She was 8 december 1855 in Oldenburg but no specific town listed.
They came to America in about1896.  A son Fredrieck, came with them.
He was a son by a previous marriage but I'm not sure who was married
before.
    Anyone else researching any of these people?  Do you know where I
can get more information?  Does anyone know if the LDS has film from
that area?  I looked in their web site and couldn't find the town.
    Any information will be appreciated.
Eileen

Wendt Family

Date: 1999/09/05 01:50:06
From: WBL435 <WBL435(a)aol.com>

I'm looking for information on August Wendt who came to America in the middle
1850's with his mother and later a couple of brothers followed them.  The
father, Henry Wendt, stayed in Germany as did the oldest son, Henry Wendt.
The oldest son came to America after his father died, in the 1870's I think.
The family came from Hannover or possibly Braunschweig.

I'm also looking for information on the family of August Wendt's wife.  Her
maiden name was Louise Tappa or Toppa (not sure of the spelling of the name).
 She came from Braunschweig, probably in the period of 1855 to 1865.

Am interested in contact with any relatives to these family members and any
additional information on them.  My email address is wbl435(a)aol.com
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Family that went to Holland

Date: 1999/09/05 03:20:55
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

I have an anniversary book.  It was written to celebrate 150 anniversary of
the town of Slagharen, Hardenberg, OVerijssel, Holland.

The book

Slagharen 150 Jaar (years) by Ricus Hertsenberg.  Published 4 March 1990.

The reason I want to share this book with others who have ancestors from the
Old Kingdom of Hanover, Germany is people from Hanover settled the town of
Slagharen.  Most lived close to the Holland border.  I believe they went to
Holland about 1830 to help build a dam, and dig canals.  Many stayed on to
dig peat.  My ancestors Johann Herman Rensing and his family went in 1830 and
stayed until 1838.  In 1838 they sailed from Bremen to New Orleans.

On page 7 of the book is a list of Germans who settled Slagharen.  They were
Catholic, and were collecting money to build a church.  When the book was
written a list was found, of Germans -- most were from Meppen and Lingen area
of Kingdom of Hanover, Germany -- who contributed money for the church fund.
The list was found in the church archives.  The list was incorporated into
the book, on pg. 7.   Below are the names, but the spelling is Dutch and many
are misspelled.  My Ancestor Johann Herman Rensing is named as Joan Hend.
Rensink.  I looked for my Kingdom of Hanover Germans for 30 years, so I hope
I can save someone years of research -- maybe your Germans went to Holland.

The list is as follows:

Dunhof,
Geert Herm Rowelz
Joan Berend Germer
Berend Hendrik Wellen
Geert Hendrik Wellen
Josephus Kolker
Joan Henrik Eenhuis
Derk Hagel
Herm Hendrik Fokke
Martinus Kul
Berend Hendrik Rolink
Joan Hein Boek
Berend Hein Wolke
Herm Berend Looman
Berend Leggedoor
Josephus Bosker (umlaut over the o)
Vrijs Wibbeling
Antoon Loffers
Karel Kersen
Joan Hendrik van Har
Joan Berend Luken
Joan Herm Kerperien
Lammert Berend Hend
Bernes
Joan Berend Dolkmeijer
Joan Eilert Jansen
Joan Hein Peters
Joan Hein Dolkmeijer
Hein Korterink
Berend Pringer
Joan Berend Brinkler
Wessel Moorman
Antoon Eiken
Willem Vierdag
Joan Dunhof
Joan Berend Dal
Joan Herm Moorman
Antoon Dreiszing
Stijn Kaszvrij
K.... Haverkort
Herman Derk Hageman
Jan van Wat
........ Hoet
J. A. Rokin
Herm Tekelenborg
Joan Herm Seinen
Frans Siedes
Derk Berg
wed. Egbrink,
wed. Troklaage
Joan Derk Rolink
Herm Wesselink
Joan Eilers
Joan Hend. Rensink
Geert Rensink
Joan Berend Moes
Frederik Arkes
Herm Hendrik Vonke
Joan Herm Koel
Bernard Koker
Herm Hendrik Koelders
Berent Eikens
Hendrik Willemsen
.... Veltrop
Herm Veltrop
....Berentsen
Hendrik Sieljes
Hendrik Schaper
.... Lammers
.... Poolman
Wubbert Siebon
Joan Gobel
.... Hudepohl
Joan Kottbrik
Albertus Veltrop
Joan Berend Luken
Herm Prenger
Herm Hend. Kerperien
Derk Koorman
Hendrik Kortne?
Joan Albert Rolink
Tiew Drent
Hendrik Middendorp
Joseph Hogemeijer
Antoon Lange
Joan Hendrik Sterreman
Geert Meijer
Frans Berentsen
Frans Vaarwick
Hendrik Stortman
Steffen Wittendorp
Joan Albert Determan
Herm Rolink
G. Wopken (umlaut over the o)
H. Prenger
L. A. Berendsen
W. Hulsbergen
F. Wibbeling
Poolman en Zoonen
Hendrik Detmans Kemper
Derk Stortman
Hendrikus Wevelaar
.... Loohuis
wed. Starreman
...  Bruggeweerd
......... Drente
Jan Rientijes
Kasper of Imesch
..... Bouwhuis,
Joan Dall

I hope this helps someone.   A few from this list, including my ancestors
went to Clinton Co., IL.

Diana Rensing Hancock

LANGHORST/SCHORLING b.1819/1826

Date: 1999/09/05 04:04:09
From: RWP <rwestp(a)mail.usmo.com>

Looking for information on Heinrich Wilhelm LANGHORST, born 1819 in
Strohem, Germany, wife Rebecca Adelhaid SCHORLING born 1826 in Germany,
Heinrich immigrated in 1848.  1850 Census lists family in Cincinnati.

Re: Bockhorn, Oldenburg - Janssen/Bredehorn/Witt/Brunken

Date: 1999/09/05 08:33:34
From: angie-web <angie-web(a)webtv.net>

coincidentally, i'm trying to help a coworker who is researching her ggf
willam/wilhelm janssen born 5 oct 1839 married 5/11/1867 to "meta" who
was born in jever,oldenburg. lds fhc only has catholic films for jever
(they were lutheran.) ive ordered the film anyway. does anyone know the
region's history and i believe it was under danish rule back then? was
there a catholicism-only rule in effect? searching the lds website for
janssen i managed to find a mother father and daughter janssen of or
about jever which my instinct says will wind up being the
parents/sibling of my coworker's ggf. i searched the lds catalog using a
map to try all the towns close by-never found an evang. kirchebuch-were
there any in that region? thanks, angie

Re: Bockhorn, Oldenburg - Janssen/Bredehorn/Witt/Brunken

Date: 1999/09/05 16:02:35
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

Jever would have been overwhelmingly Lutheran. More than likely Werner can
point you to a good source but you have to ask in the proper group, ie
oldenburg-l(a)genealogy.net

The Herrschaft Jever goes way back to the Middle Ages and the entire region
is still known as the Jeverland. There is also the city of Jever so you may
need to know more than just the word Jever but the city is a start.
Fred
Fred(a)compu.com

Date: 1999/09/05 17:04:50
From: Larry Ledebur <larryled(a)erols.com>

On 4 Sep 1999, RWP wrote:
>Looking for information on Heinrich Wilhelm LANGHORST, born 1819 in
>Strohem, Germany . . ..

A list of villages in Hannover[The Atlantic Bridge to Germany, Vol. X
(Hannover)] does not show any place called Strohem. Could the correct name
be Ströhen (Stro"hen)? This is a small village (now part of Wagenfeld) very
close to the border with Northrhine Westphalia, but not to be confused with
another village of the same name located about 5 km. southwest across the
border. The latter is now known as Preussisch Ströhen.
The surname Langhorst appears twice in (Hannover) Ströhen in a household
listing of 1799 (Johann Cord Langhorst and Johann Ludewig Langhorst) and
three times in a similar listing of 1842.
If you believe this may be the correct village, I can advise that the
parish registers are (up to 1869) maintained in St. Mary's Lutheran Church
in Varrel, a town about 10 km. to the north.

Regards,

Larry Ledebur (larryled(a)erols.com)
Alexandria, VA

Re: Bockhorn, Oldenburg - Janssen/Bredehorn/Witt/Brunken

Date: 1999/09/05 19:31:38
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

Something else to the question. In 1815 there were two political Jevers in
Oldenburg. The Stadt had a population of 1604 with 275 Feuerstellen
(typically hearths in houses). The Amt or district of Jever had a population
of 7032 and 1420 hearths.

In fact the Herrschaft Jever came to Oldenburg in 1815 and with the enclosed
Herrschaft Kniphausen it's total population was 16934 with 3407 hearths. The
actual integration of the Herrschaft did not happen until 1818, yet it was
managed by Oldenburg since 1813. A bit confusing I know.

There is precious little information available about this secluded area. A
1791 population register survives which gives statistics over the following
places in Jever:

Kirchspiel                Population
Clevems                    412
Heppens                    298
Hohenkirchen            1514
Jever, city w/garrison    1588
Jever, suburbs and Glockenschlag  1198
Middoge                     292
Neuende                      793
Oldorf                            302
Pakens                        641
Sande mit Oberarm    784
Sandel                            258
St Jost                            279
Schortens                        1130
Sillenstede                    712
Tettens                            1141
Waddewarden                690
Wangerooge                    175
Westrum                            116
Wiarden                            619
Wiefels                                252
Wüppels                            350

total population at that time: 14,581

Within these parishes there are even smaller groups of farms associated as
Bauernschaften. I won't list these unless there is an interest.

As to history - in 1575, as a result of a conflict between Oldenburg and
East Frisia, the Herrschaft fell to Oldenburg because of testamentary
wishes. The Oldenburg line dies out in 1667 the duchy went to Anhalt-Zerbst
which in turn became property of the Zarina Catherin II who was the sister
of the last duke of Anhalt-Zerbst. So now Oldenburg was a Russian province.
This 6 sq mile 'country' of Jever as a part of a larger Oldenburg was then
formally given to realtives of the Zar Alexander I who were the current
Dukes in Oldenburg.

fred
Fred(a)compu.com

We have 157 addresses in the Germany phone directory, most around Bielefeld.
look: www.teleauskunft.de

Werner

Veasleyd(a)aol.com schrieb:
> For a cousin, I'm researching a Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus, born about 1818 in
> the Kingdom of Hannover; by 1846 in St. Louis, Missouri, where he married at
> the Evangelical Church of the Holy Spirit to Johanna Catherina Louisa Rose,
> born in the Kingdom of Prussia.  He was a pump-manufacturer and brass
> finisher; by the 1850 census he employed 5 other blacksmiths; he later
> diversified into manufacturing locks.
>
> Is anyone familiar with a parish where one might find a conjuncture of this
> family name, religion, and occupation?  Virginia

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

AW: Venghaus

Date: 1999/09/05 21:00:08
From: Michael Ortmann <michael.ortmann(a)uni-muenster.de>

Venghaus was a big farm in the village Werther, parish of Werther near Bielefeld.
Michael

Re: LANGHORST/SCHORLING b.1819/1826

Date: 1999/09/05 22:38:00
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

I think it should be Ströhen (or Stroehen), a part of Wagenfeld county Diepholz.
Between Bremen and Osnabrück.

Werner

Date: 1999/09/05 22:38:02
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Jever is located on the province Oldenburg.
I believe, the evang.lutheran church books are archived in Staatsarchiv
Oldenburg. I think Jever have a website, try www.jever.de
Werner

angie-web(a)webtv.net schrieb:
> coincidentally, i'm trying to help a coworker who is researching her ggf
> willam/wilhelm janssen born 5 oct 1839 married 5/11/1867 to "meta" who
> was born in jever,oldenburg. lds fhc only has catholic films for jever
> (they were lutheran.) ive ordered the film anyway. does anyone know the
> region's history and i believe it was under danish rule back then? was
> there a catholicism-only rule in effect? searching the lds website for
> janssen i managed to find a mother father and daughter janssen of or
> about jever which my instinct says will wind up being the
> parents/sibling of my coworker's ggf. i searched the lds catalog using a
> map to try all the towns close by-never found an evang. kirchebuch-were
> there any in that region? thanks, angie

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Surnames MEYER & SCHULTZ

Date: 1999/09/06 06:01:26
From: Grammalp <Grammalp(a)aol.com>

I'm new to this listing & I'm hoping to find some help on a branch that has
hit a dead end.

My gggrandfather Christoph MEYER (born 1830, but I don't know where) married
my gggrandmother Wilhelmine SCHULTZ in Hannover - don't have a date.  She was
born July 23, 1831 in Mecklenburg, Germany and later moved to Hannover, where
she met Christoph.  In 1854 they immigrated to America, settling in Clinton
County, Iowa.  He was a farmer. The first and last Iowa census he was
recorded on was 1860, as he died in Feb, 1870.  He is a real mystery and I
haven't been able to find either of them on any passenger lists. I have no
other info on parents or siblings. If anybody can help me with Hannover or
other German info I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance - Lynda

Re: AW: Venghaus

Date: 1999/09/06 15:10:53
From: Veasleyd <Veasleyd(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 09/05/1999 12:00:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
michael.ortmann(a)uni-muenster.de writes:

<< Venghaus was a big farm in the village Werther, parish of Werther near
Bielefeld.
 Michael >>

War Werther jemals im Koenigreich Hannover?  Ich finde Werther immer unter
"Westfalen."  Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus gab als Geburtsort immer "Kr.
Hannover."

Vielen Dank, Virginia

Re: Venghaus

Date: 1999/09/06 15:10:57
From: Veasleyd <Veasleyd(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 09/05/1999 11:43:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de writes:

<< We have 157 addresses in the Germany phone directory, most around
Bielefeld.
 look: www.teleauskunft.de

War Bielefeld jemals im Koenigreich Hannover?  Ich finde Bielefeld immer
unter "Westfalen."  Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus gab als Geburtsort immer "Kr.
Hannover."  Ich habe die Website http://www.bielefeld.de besucht.  Ich fand
aber keine Ortsgeschichte.

Vielen Dank, Virginia

Re: Bockhorn, Oldenburg - Janssen/Bredehorn/Witt/Brunken

Date: 1999/09/06 17:08:25
From: angie-web <angie-web(a)webtv.net>

thanks, i  found several very good websites for jever. angie

Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/06 21:03:56
From: Maurianne Webster <mauriane(a)slip.net>

My great grandfathers biography said he was from someplace named
Humboldt and the census says Hannover.  I have been unable to find a
town named Humboldt so does anyone have any ideas what this may mean?

My G-grandfather was Henry Christopher Kruse b 6 Aug 1847 came to New
York on 23 Oct, 1869 m 10 Aug 1875 d 30 June 1928.  He lived most of his
life in Southern Minnesota.

Mauri Webster

AW: AW: Venghaus

Date: 1999/09/06 21:24:30
From: Michael Ortmann <michael.ortmann(a)uni-muenster.de>

The answer is No ! Werther was part of the former county of Ravensberg.
Ravensberg came in 1648 to the Kurfurstentum Brandenburg, which was called
Prussia since 1702. So Werther was part of Prussia up to 1874.

Michael

Gesendet am:	Montag, 6. September 1999 15:10
An:	hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
Betreff:	Re: AW: Venghaus

In a message dated 09/05/1999 12:00:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
michael.ortmann(a)uni-muenster.de writes:

<< Venghaus was a big farm in the village Werther, parish of Werther near
Bielefeld.
 Michael >>

War Werther jemals im Koenigreich Hannover?  Ich finde Werther immer unter
"Westfalen."  Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus gab als Geburtsort immer "Kr.
Hannover."

Vielen Dank, Virginia

Address Assistance

Date: 1999/09/06 22:29:58
From: XAMUSED <XAMUSED(a)aol.com>

I have a list of names and addresses from the online German Telephone
directory to which I would like to send queries on the name Baumhuter.  I'm
not familiar with how to properly use this information to convert it to a
snail mail address.  All the names and addresses appear to be in Bielefeld
Gutersloh.  Could someone assist me?

Thank you very much.  Laura

Re: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/07 02:48:46
From: angie-web <angie-web(a)webtv.net>

Humboldt, Iowa, USA? you might try finding out where it's name came from
if he really, really never lived in Iowa. Go Hawks! :-)

Re: AW: AW: Venghaus

Date: 1999/09/07 04:07:25
From: Veasleyd <Veasleyd(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 09/06/1999 5:50:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
michael.ortmann(a)uni-muenster.de writes:

<< Ravensberg came in 1648 to the Kurfurstentum Brandenburg, which was called
 Prussia since 1702. So Werther was part of Prussia up to 1874.

Thank you.  Heinrich Wilhelm Venghaus definitely wrote "Kingdom of Hannover"
as his birthplace in the marriage record, and the census said the same.
Virginia

Re: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/07 05:23:20
From: steven c. wehling <al78412(a)caller.infi.net>

Maurianne Webster wrote:

> My great grandfathers biography said he was from someplace named
> Humboldt and the census says Hannover.  I have been unable to find a
> town named Humboldt so does anyone have any ideas what this may mean?
>
> My G-grandfather was Henry Christopher Kruse b 6 Aug 1847 came to New
> York on 23 Oct, 1869 m 10 Aug 1875 d 30 June 1928.  He lived most of his
> life in Southern Minnesota.
>
> Mauri Webster

Hi Mauri
I thought I had seen the KRUSE name before and I have microfilm records
from 1853 to 1875 in the Lage Parish of Rieste, Germany and surounding
villiages although I do not have the year for Henry I did find the
following Baptismal records and I thought there may be the possibility
this may be a brothers or cousins of your Henry

Lage Catholic Parish Baptismal Record July 2, 1853

Johan Bernard Joseph KRUSE, Baptised July 2, 1853, Rieste, Hannover,
Germany
His father is Johan Gerhard KRUSE and his mother is Maria Elisabeth
GRAMKE
they are both from Bieste [note: Bieste is about two miles from Rieste]
Godparents are: Johan Bernard ROLFES from Neuenkirchen and Elisabeth
KRUSE
from Bersenbruck

Lage Catholic Parish Baptismal Record March 19, 1860, Rieste, Hannover,
Germany

Bernard Heinrich KRUSE, Baptised March 19, 1860, Rieste, hannover,
Germany
Father Johan Gerhard KRUSE and mother Elisabeth GRAMKE, both from Bieste
Godparents: Bernard BOHNE from Rieste and Heinrich WELLMANN from
Bersenbruck
I also checked my death recoeds and marriage records and had nothing
listed from the years I mentioned above but you do have some good clues
to check out Neuenkirchen and Bersenbruck for more Kruse family. I also
looked in the Death records listed in Cincinnati Ohio and found there
are several KRUSE lised. [My family came from Rieste to Cincinnati to
Iowa and South Dakota.

                                 Good luck I hape this helps
                                   Steven Wehling

Re: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/07 09:25:14
From: Maria und Jared Jobs <M.J.JOBS(a)t-online.de>

Hello Mauri,

Humboldt sounds like a family name, it is not a typical place name. There is
a "HUMBOLDTstreet" in Hannover. Still a found a HUMBOLDT in my telephone
directory. It seems to be a part of the town Colonge now. ANother place
Humboldtshoehe belongs to Vallendar now. Are you sure it was read correct in
the original source?

Jared

Vallendar Humboldtshoehe
Humboldt next to KOELn
> My great grandfathers biography said he was from someplace named
> Humboldt and the census says Hannover.  I have been unable to find a
> town named Humboldt so does anyone have any ideas what this may mean?
>
> My G-grandfather was Henry Christopher Kruse b 6 Aug 1847 came to New
> York on 23 Oct, 1869 m 10 Aug 1875 d 30 June 1928.  He lived most of his
> life in Southern Minnesota.
>
> Mauri Webster

Re: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/07 17:09:46
From: Errol/Mary Sandler <eesand(a)email.msn.com>

This is a good source for checking on place names
http://www.expediamaps.com/ and from there go to Place Finder, type in the
word, and a variety of choices are shown.  It's only good, I think, for
current places, though, but still might help.

Mary Koelzer

> My great grandfathers biography said he was from someplace named
> Humboldt and the census says Hannover.  I have been unable to find a
> town named Humboldt so does anyone have any ideas what this may mean?
>
> My G-grandfather was Henry Christopher Kruse b 6 Aug 1847 came to New
> York on 23 Oct, 1869 m 10 Aug 1875 d 30 June 1928.  He lived most of his
> life in Southern Minnesota.
>
> Mauri Webster

Re: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/07 18:30:31
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/6/99 12:41:48 PM, mauriane(a)slip.net writes:

<< My great grandfathers biography said he was from someplace named
Humboldt and the census says Hannover.  I have been unable to find a
town named Humboldt so does anyone have any ideas what this may mean?

My G-grandfather was Henry Christopher Kruse b 6 Aug 1847 came to New
York on 23 Oct, 1869 m 10 Aug 1875 d 30 June 1928.  He lived most of his
life in Southern Minnesota.

Mauri Webster >>

Hi Marui,

My Hanover Germans ended up in Chanute, KS, and next door is Humboldt, KS.
Could he have gone to Kansas.

Diana

Re: Address Assistance

Date: 1999/09/07 19:48:31
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

The German address form is:

Firstname Surname
Street Nr
zip Town
Germany

see my own address.

Werner

Date: 1999/09/07 20:12:19
From: XAMUSED <XAMUSED(a)aol.com>

Thank you very much for your assistance, Werner.  Now I can send out these
letters.

Re: Address Assistance

Date: 1999/09/07 20:19:38
From: Klaus Vahlbruch <klausvahlbruch(a)z.zgs.de>

Werner, Du bist einfach Klasse.
Da habe ich selbst eben lange dran rumgedrucks, wie ich´s denn machen könnte und
Du machst es einfach. Toll!
Ich beobachte schon lange Deine hilfreichen Antworten und das fast täglich.
...so, daß mußte ich mal loswerden.
For all our amerikan freinds:
I just told Werner that he is a pretty good man. He helped all of us in so many
times that it is rather unbeleaveble.
This is no information but only to say: "Thank you Werner Honkomp!"

Klaus Vahlbruch
Uhlandstr. 3
D-73779 Deizisau (near Stuttgart - Germany)
e-mail: <klausvahlbruch(a)z.zgs.de>
(looking for all Vahlbruch - Fahlbruch - Vahlbrauck - Vahlbruk - etc. in the
world)
Werner Honkomp schrieb:

> The German address form is:
>
> Firstname Surname
> Street Nr
> zip Town
> Germany
>
> see my own address.
>
> Werner
> XAMUSED(a)aol.com schrieb:
> > I have a list of names and addresses from the online German Telephone
> > directory to which I would like to send queries on the name Baumhuter.  I'm
> > not familiar with how to properly use this information to convert it to a
> > snail mail address.  All the names and addresses appear to be in Bielefeld
> > Gutersloh.  Could someone assist me?
> >
> > Thank you very much.  Laura

> Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
> Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
> 26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Badbergen/Vehslage help

Date: 1999/09/07 20:57:05
From: Cristie Reed <creed(a)artic.edu>

Anna Katherine VEHSLAGE (b. 1/1/1815 in Badbergen) m. Hermann H. ROTHERT.
I believe that Anna and Hermann were married in Hannover, and emigrated
between 1835 and 1843.  He died in Louisville, KY  between 1845 and 1849.
She remarried Johann Frederich MEIER in Louisville in 1849, and moved to
Jackson Co., IN.

I've searched Family History Center films for Bippen and Uffeln in
Bersenbruck, and Badbergen, but have had no luck.  I'm looking for birth,
confirmation, (and hopefully) marriage records for the period 1810 to 1840.
 The Badbergen records had many Vehslages, but not mine.  Anna Katherine
VEHSLAGE's marriage certificate states that she was born in Badbergen,
Konigreich Hannover -- am I looking in the wrong place?

Is there another district that would have Evangelische records for Badbergen?

Can anyone offer any help or ideas?

Thank you --

Re: Address Assistance

Date: 1999/09/07 22:00:38
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Hallo Klaus,
vielen Dank für die Blumen / thank you for the flower!
eMail ist ja so spontan, da soll man nicht lange überlegen.
Werner

Klaus Vahlbruch schrieb:
> Werner, Du bist einfach Klasse.
> Da habe ich selbst eben lange dran rumgedrucks, wie ich´s denn machen könnte
>  und
> Du machst es einfach. Toll!
> Ich beobachte schon lange Deine hilfreichen Antworten und das fast täglich.
> ...so, daß mußte ich mal loswerden.

> For all our amerikan freinds:
> I just told Werner that he is a pretty good man. He helped all of us in so
>  many
> times that it is rather unbeleaveble.
> This is no information but only to say: "Thank you Werner Honkomp!"
>
> Klaus Vahlbruch
> Uhlandstr. 3
> D-73779 Deizisau (near Stuttgart - Germany)
> e-mail: <klausvahlbruch(a)z.zgs.de>
> (looking for all Vahlbruch - Fahlbruch - Vahlbrauck - Vahlbruk - etc. in the
> world)
> Werner Honkomp schrieb:
>
> > The German address form is:
> >
> > Firstname Surname
> > Street Nr
> > zip Town
> > Germany
> >
> > see my own address.
> >
> > Werner
> > XAMUSED(a)aol.com schrieb:
> > > I have a list of names and addresses from the online German Telephone
> > > directory to which I would like to send queries on the name Baumhuter.
>  I'm
>
> > > not familiar with how to properly use this information to convert it to a
> > > snail mail address.  All the names and addresses appear to be in Bielefeld
> > > Gutersloh.  Could someone assist me?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much.  Laura

> > Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
> > Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
> > 26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

RE: Address Assistance

Date: 1999/09/07 22:22:15
From: oma <oma(a)ktsnet.com>

HELP!!!! how do I stop all these e-mail messages... oma(a)ktsnet.com

RE: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/07 22:22:16
From: oma <oma(a)ktsnet.com>

I can no longer keep up with all of the messages coming to my
e-mail...please help me to be taken off the list...oma(a)ktsnet.com

Brown Co., lookups

Date: 1999/09/08 04:19:22
From: Richard F Strait <rfstrait(a)juno.com>

I emailed you about removing my email address for lookups for Brown Co.
Please remove my name.

Thank you,

rfstrait(a)juno.com

Where is STRATEN?

Date: 1999/09/08 05:13:04
From: Sunset Hayes <sunset(a)digizen.net>

Greetings...

I just received this information, and it does appear based on the ages,
the Port he supposedly entered, and the timeframe to be my
GG-Grandfather and his family (below).

The only problem is, it appears they city they were living in and
left from is "Straten" if I am reading it right. I have tried finding
it on the map, and have not been able to locate it. Originally we
thought they were from the Ankum/Alfhausen area... can anyone here
explain if "Straten" was an older city that no longer exists, and if
so, where it was located??  I would truly APPRECIATE it!

This is what was passed along to me: The Ship Lucilla arr in Richmond
from Bremen, 3rd qtr of 1837:

  25 Gerhd H. Borgman     Straten   farmer    32
  26 Lucy Marg Borgman  * Straten   wife      2?
  27 Joh Hein Borgman     Straten   son       16
  28 Caroline Borgman     Straten   daughter   2

Any help, or link to a map showing the town if it still exists would be
appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
 -=*> Sunset <*=-

Re: Where is STRATEN?

Date: 1999/09/08 16:01:43
From: Larry Ledebur <larryled(a)erols.com>

At 11:20 PM 9/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings...
>
>I just received this information, and it does appear based on the ages,
>the Port he supposedly entered, and the timeframe to be my
>GG-Grandfather and his family (below).
>
>The only problem is, it appears they city they were living in and
>left from is "Straten" if I am reading it right. I have tried finding
>it on the map, and have not been able to locate it.

Could there be a misreading or a misspelling? There is a "Ströhen" in Kreis
Diepholz (now part of Gemeinde Wagenfeld), and a "Strücken" in Kreis
Schaumburg.

Re: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/08 16:28:12
From: Mauri Webster <mauriane(a)slip.net>

Everyone is so sure that this location is in Germany.  The Bio says
Humboldt Germany.  I have looked at all of the maps and consulted the
Family History Librarians in Salt Lake.  I thought may be someone from a
German email list would recognize an former town or something but there
must be a mistake in all of the information my grandfather left.

Does anyone know where I can find older maps on line?

Errol/Mary Sandler wrote:

> This is a good source for checking on place names
> http://www.expediamaps.com/ and from there go to Place Finder, type in the
> word, and a variety of choices are shown.  It's only good, I think, for
> current places, though, but still might help.
>
> Mary Koelzer

Re: Where is STRATEN?

Date: 1999/09/08 18:07:09
From: Errol/Mary Sandler <eesand(a)email.msn.com>

Hi Sunset

Interesting question, as I'm the person who transcribed the Lucilla 1837 for
the ISTG http://istg.rootsweb.com/ (the Lucilla is in volume 2.)

Be sure to check the whole passenger list, if you haven't already.  There
were some other passengers from what is probably the same town, but this
time the captain (or whoever) wrote the town as Starten, which is probably
the same place as your passengers were from.

And if you check this site  http://www.expediamaps.com/ (go to place
finder from that home page) Straeten seems to be the
closest possibility.  It's in Westfalen, a bit west of Cologne.  (Although
expediamaps are probably only good for current towns, so keep open other
possibilities.)

Hope it helps!  Glad you found somebody on one of "our" ships!
Mary Koelzer

Date: 1999/09/08 18:24:59
From: redaktionsbro <Redaktionsbuero.Froboese(a)innternet.de>

Hello from Germany,

I didn´t believe, that there is a place named Humboldt in Germany. Then I
checked at the postal code book for Germany and found out, that Humboldt really
exists. Now it´s a part of the city of Köln (Cologne). With other words: Your
grandfather was absolutely right.

Good luck
Rolf

Mauri Webster schrieb:

> Everyone is so sure that this location is in Germany.  The Bio says
> Humboldt Germany.  I have looked at all of the maps and consulted the
> Family History Librarians in Salt Lake.  I thought may be someone from a
> German email list would recognize an former town or something but there
> must be a mistake in all of the information my grandfather left.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find older maps on line?
>
> Errol/Mary Sandler wrote:
> >
> > This is a good source for checking on place names
> > http://www.expediamaps.com/ and from there go to Place Finder, type in the
> > word, and a variety of choices are shown.  It's only good, I think, for
> > current places, though, but still might help.
> >
> > Mary Koelzer

Re: RE: Geographical question

Date: 1999/09/08 19:29:54
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/7/99 1:27:44 PM, oma(a)ktsnet.com writes:

<< I can no longer keep up with all of the messages coming to my
e-mail...please help me to be taken off the list...oma(a)ktsnet.com

Hi,

I new at this also, but believe you put non-subscribe in the subject, and
e-mail it to hannover-l(a)genealogy.net

Re: Badbergen/Vehslage help

Date: 1999/09/08 20:05:09
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Badbergen is located in county Osnabrück, former Königreich Hannover, thats ok.
Have you searched for the catholic church register also?

Werner

Date: 1999/09/08 20:43:19
From: Cristie Reed <creed(a)artic.edu>

Hi Werner,

Thanks for your reply.  I haven't checked the catholic registers; they
seemed to be firmly Evangelical when I picked up their paper trail in the
U.S.  But it's a good idea -- perhaps they were baptised in the Catholic
church.
Thanks again,

Cristie

Date: 1999/09/08 23:37:27
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/8/99 8:10:02 AM, eesand(a)email.msn.com writes:

<< And if you check this site  http://www.expediamaps.com/ (go to place
finder from that home page) Straeten seems to be the
closest possibility.  It's in Westfalen, a bit west of Cologne.  (Although
expediamaps are probably only good for current towns, so keep open other
possibilities.)

Hope it helps!  Glad you found somebody on one of "our" ships!
Mary Koelzer >>

Hi Mary Koelzer,

Thanks you for sending out this website -- it is great.

Diana Rensing Hancock

Froboese/CDs 354 and 356

Date: 1999/09/09 14:57:36
From: redaktionsbro <Redaktionsbuero.Froboese(a)innternet.de>

Hello,

I am searching the name Froboese. Does anyone have the CDs No. 354 and
356 from "Family Tree Maker" in order to look at the name. I will be
very delighted, if someone can help me.

Best regards
Rolf

Re: Where is STRATEN?

Date: 1999/09/10 03:51:30
From: Sunset Hayes <sunset(a)digizen.net>

My thanks to Larry, for suggesting some alternatives, and to you Mary
for directing me to the full ship listing of "Ship Lucilla" on ISTG, and
the expedia map link, they were so helpful!! As for the the Ship info,
it was good being able to find it on-line. A distant cousin had sent
the family info I showed here, but didn't say where it was from, so
thank you for leading me to it, and for doing the WONDERFUL job of
transcribing it!! You (and the others that transcribe ship info) of
our ancestors that came here 150+ years ago are true angels!!! By
being able to see all the names, and finding others in the grouping
(like her sister that was married to an Ahrens) confirmed for me it
was DEFINITELY my ancestors!!

To others on this Listserv looking for ancestors from Kingdom of
Hannover...PLEASE be sure to check at the ISTG site if you have the
approximate timeframe they came to America. The Lucilla had 145
passengers, so maybe some of you will get lucky and find your ancestors
there, or on one of the MANY other ships from Bremen & Bremerhaven.

> Interesting question, as I'm the person who transcribed the Lucilla
> 1837 for the ISTG http://istg.rootsweb.com/ (the Lucilla is in
> volume 2)

Sunset gives Mary a tight Hug and thanks her for generously transcribing
this particular ship!!

Re: Where is STRATEN?

Date: 1999/09/10 16:25:23
From: Errol/Mary Sandler <eesand(a)email.msn.com>

Sunset,

That's just great!  I'm really glad you found the right ship!

It's an ongoing project, no end in sight that I can see...and it's really
fun to make the lists available for searching.  Truly a project whose time
has come!

Those ships with German passengers were just great in that very often they
gave the exact origin of the passengers.  Hope the village name turns out
not to lead you in the wrong direction, as you mentioned you thought they
were from near Ankum.  Remember that the one on the expediamaps could be
incorrect for yours as it is only current information.

(By the way, Sunset, if you would like an email link to your ancestors which
would direct other researchers to you, maybe other descendants you don't
know of, it can be done.  We can put in a footnote for your ancestors, and
if you want, a little of their biographical information as well.  It's
entirely up to you, just let me know.  We've started doing that with
descendants of passengers, if they wish to do so.)

Thanks for all the kind words.  It's really appreciated!

Mary Koelzer

My thanks to Larry, for suggesting some alternatives, and to you Mary
for directing me to the full ship listing of "Ship Lucilla" on ISTG, and
the expedia map link, they were so helpful!! As for the the Ship info,
it was good being able to find it on-line. A distant cousin had sent
the family info I showed here, but didn't say where it was from, so
thank you for leading me to it, and for doing the WONDERFUL job of
transcribing it!! You (and the others that transcribe ship info) of
our ancestors that came here 150+ years ago are true angels!!! By
being able to see all the names, and finding others in the grouping
(like her sister that was married to an Ahrens) confirmed for me it
was DEFINITELY my ancestors!!

To others on this Listserv looking for ancestors from Kingdom of
Hannover...PLEASE be sure to check at the ISTG site if you have the
approximate timeframe they came to America. The Lucilla had 145
passengers, so maybe some of you will get lucky and find your ancestors
there, or on one of the MANY other ships from Bremen & Bremerhaven.

> Interesting question, as I'm the person who transcribed the Lucilla
> 1837 for the ISTG http://istg.rootsweb.com/ (the Lucilla is in
> volume 2)

Sunset gives Mary a tight Hug and thanks her for generously transcribing
this particular ship!!

Osterholz again

Date: 1999/09/11 01:26:49
From: Veasleyd <Veasleyd(a)aol.com>

I thank you all for your assistance.  By using the following site, I have
found that in the 19th century there were Jewish families in Osterholz, part
of the Jewish Gemeinde in Scharmbeck.  This may well be the site for which I
was searching.

http://sun1.rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de/hdb-synagogen-nds/OrteFrame.html

Virginia

Re: Osterholz again

Date: 1999/09/11 18:07:36
From: Valerie Karvoski <daisygambel(a)msn.com>

Dear Virginia,
Hello. I saw your message on the list. I am also researching the Osterholz
Scharmbeck area. What surnames are you researching? Thanks.
Sincerely,
Valerie KARVOSKI
DaisyGambel(a)msn.com
http://www.angelfire.com/va/ValsGenealogyPage/index.html
http://www.angelfire.com/va/ValsGenealogyPage/Books.html
> I thank you all for your assistance.  By using the following site, I have
> found that in the 19th century there were Jewish families in Osterholz,
part
> of the Jewish Gemeinde in Scharmbeck.  This may well be the site for which
> was searching.
>
> http://sun1.rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de/hdb-synagogen-nds/OrteFrame.html
>
> Virginia

TACKENBERG / KLEIST aus Bramsche

Date: 1999/09/12 22:21:02
From: Hebert835 <Hebert835(a)aol.com>

Hello all,  is anyone familiar with the Bramsche area?  Specifically, I'm
looking for a real detailed map that would show all the little villages
around.  I have looked at mapquest and those things, but they don't help.
My Tackenbergs lived in Pente and were from Fuerstenau.  I have an unreadable
village name that looks like: tmnmnrreren.  You know what  I mean?  I thought
that if I could find a detailed map I could make a good guess.  The first
letter is a T and there are no g,h,l,s,t, or anything like that, just the
m,n,e,r and the like.

Also, I don't believe that all the years I need for that area are filmed.
Does anyone have the address of the church in Bramsche and the city archives?

Thanks,
Holly
Hebert835(a)aol.com
TACKENBERG / KLEIST / SCHLUETER / SCHLICHTING / TAMMEN / CARSTENS / VON DER
HORST / PAULSEN / KLINTWORTH / GUESE

AW: TACKENBERG / KLEIST aus Bramsche

Date: 1999/09/12 22:39:45
From: Michael Ortmann <michael.ortmann(a)uni-muenster.de>

Hello,
a member of the genealogical society in Osnabrueck has made a local lineage
book of the Bramsche church records. It is not printed yet. Here is his
address:
Udo Niemann
Klausenerplatz 16/17
14059 Berlin
Germany

greetings
Michael Ortmann

Gesendet am:	Sonntag, 12. September 1999 22:20
An:	hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
Betreff:	TACKENBERG / KLEIST aus Bramsche

[...]

Schoenhagen-Kammerborn

Date: 1999/09/12 23:04:00
From: hmulford <hmulford(a)eos.net>

I am seeking information about the KETTLER family of Kammerborn, of Martin
Luther Kirche in Schoenhagen.  When my Kettler ancestors emigrated to (West)
Virginia in 1854 or 1855, the town was Cammerborn.  I have found a website for
the church, but before I e-mail or write I thought I'd check to see if anyone
on this list knows of published records or has done research in
Schoenhagen-Kammerborn.  Any other relevant suggestions welcome.

Thank you.
Mary Ann

Re: Where is STRATEN?

Date: 1999/09/12 23:37:28
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/9/99 5:53:12 PM, sunset(a)digizen.net writes:

<< Interesting question, as I'm the person who transcribed the Lucilla
> 1837 for the ISTG http://istg.rootsweb.com/ (the Lucilla is in
> volume 2)

Sunset gives Mary a tight Hug and thanks her for generously transcribing
this particular ship!!

Thanks a million, great site, and also thanks to Mary.

Diana Rensing hancock

Re: Froboese/CDs 354 and 356

Date: 1999/09/13 16:58:29
From: Bob Niehaus <rniehaus(a)mindspring.com>

Date: 1999/09/13 17:21:24
From: Follmer, Leon <follmer(a)isgs.uiuc.edu>

Dear Holly, which way from Bramsche?  I have been collecting information
about the Engter area, which is SE of Bramsche.  Unfortunately, I don't
recognize any of the names in your message.

Sincerely, Leon Follmer
follmer(a)isgs.uiuc.edu
[...]

Re: [hannover-l] TACKENBERG / KLEIST aus Bramsche

Date: 1999/09/13 17:26:36
From: Jim Eggert <EggertJ(a)LL.mit.edu>

Holly <Hebert835(a)aol.com> wrote:

> Hello all, is anyone familiar with the Bramsche area?  Specifically,
> I'm looking for a real detailed map that would show all the little
> villages around. ... I have an unreadable village name that looks
> like: tmnmnrreren.  You know what I mean?

Probably T"ommern, just west of Bramsche proper.  You can find it on a
current map at http://www.falk-online.de/go_routing.html

--
=Jim Eggert   EggertJ(a)LL.mit.edu

Re: Froboese/CDs 354 and 356

Date: 1999/09/13 19:22:17
From: redaktionsbro <Redaktionsbuero.Froboese(a)innternet.de>

Hello Bob,

1000 thanks.

Best regards
Rolf

Date: 1999/09/13 21:42:57
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Only my greater ADAC map 1:150000 shows a very small village "Tömmern" west of
Bramsche. This village is a part of Bramsche.

Werner
Hebert835(a)aol.com schrieb:
> Hello all,  is anyone familiar with the Bramsche area?  Specifically, I'm
> looking for a real detailed map that would show all the little villages
> around.  I have looked at mapquest and those things, but they don't help.
> My Tackenbergs lived in Pente and were from Fuerstenau.  I have an unreadable
> village name that looks like: tmnmnrreren.  You know what  I mean?  I thought
> that if I could find a detailed map I could make a good guess.  The first
> letter is a T and there are no g,h,l,s,t, or anything like that, just the
> m,n,e,r and the like.
>
> Also, I don't believe that all the years I need for that area are filmed.
> Does anyone have the address of the church in Bramsche and the city archives?
>

> Thanks,
> Holly
> Hebert835(a)aol.com
> TACKENBERG / KLEIST / SCHLUETER / SCHLICHTING / TAMMEN / CARSTENS / VON DER
> HORST / PAULSEN / KLINTWORTH / GUESE

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Name question

Date: 1999/09/13 21:44:08
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Hello Park,
this a hard nut. Therefore I forward a copy also to oldenburg- and
hannover-list.
I can't find any name like Hedge von Theinfeld or Thienfeld.
I have a village as a part of Ganderkesee (Oldenburg) namend Thienfelde and a
village Theinfeld as a part of Thundorf, but this is located in southern of
Germany.
The phone book shows only 5 names GÜT in Krefeld, but the firstname says this
persons are from Turkey.
Güt is not a village or other place.

Have somebody an idea?

Werner

Date: 1999/09/14 22:24:43
From: Hebert835 <Hebert835(a)aol.com>

Leon, thanks for your e-mail.  All of the towns are west of Bramsche.  I have
found them all now.  Achmer, Pente, Toemmern.  Jim Eggerts link for Falk was
great.  It shows all the tiny places.

Holly

RE: HANSMEYER AND MEHRKAMP FAMILIES

Date: 1999/09/16 14:53:27
From: Karla Nurnberg <muessidenn(a)yahoo.com>

Hi,
    We are looking for Johann Henrich/Heinrich Hansmeyer and his wife,
Christina Mehrkamp. They emigrated to the U.S. sometime before 1849,
when their first child, Julia was born in Muscatine County, Iowa.
    Can anyone help us locate more on this couple? Thanks.

                             Karla Nurnberg

RE: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/16 16:52:04
From: JuJuBean11 <JuJuBean11(a)aol.com>

Hello group!

I just found out today that Reusch International has increased their charges
for ordering international bank drafts used for payment of services to $15.00
per draft (up from $3.00)!

About a month ago I write to a German archive for some information and
received a 17DM bill for the search.  I called Reusch to order a DM bankdraft
to send to the archive for payment and was informed that they now charge $15
for a bank draft.  I was floored!

How does one now pay for services billed in DM?  I refuse to pay $15.00 for a
17DM bankdraft!  How else can I pay?  Has anyone else run up against this
problem?

Julie Ploehn-Vigna

Re: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/16 17:13:54
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

Wow! That's a kick in the butt. It'll surely kill most of their business as
$15 is really approaching the amount German banks charge for such a
conversion service. At that point you might as well send a check in $ whith
an additional amount of $15-20 tacked on. I really don't understand what the
difficulty is here.  Why does it cost so much money to cash a check?

I guess my suggestion would be to work out a conversion and just send cash
in dollars. This should work for small amounts. Big dollars will simply have
to assume this additional conversion cost.

Personally I try to restrict purchases to credit cards but I also set up an
account over there via a friend from which I can get credit-card-less
vendors to withdraw what they require. In Germany most payments are made via
some such account withdrawal method rather than credit cards. It's more or
less like a debit card except that it's all intra bank.

Fred

Fred(a)compu.com
Beverly,NJ/Naples,FL

> Hello group!
>
> I just found out today that Reusch International has increased their
charges
> for ordering international bank drafts used for payment of services to
$15.00
> per draft (up from $3.00)!

Re: RE: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/16 18:33:22
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/16/99 6:52:45 AM, JuJuBean11(a)aol.com writes:

<< I just found out today that Reusch International has increased their
charges
for ordering international bank drafts used for payment of services to $15.00
per draft (up from $3.00)!

About a month ago I write to a German archive for some information and
received a 17DM bill for the search.  I called Reusch to order a DM bankdraft
to send to the archive for payment and was informed that they now charge $15
for a bank draft.  I was floored!

How does one now pay for services billed in DM?  I refuse to pay $15.00 for a
17DM bankdraft!  How else can I pay?  Has anyone else run up against this
problem?

Julie Ploehn-Vigna

Hi Julie Ploehn-Vigna,

I pay with cash - DM.  I called my bank to have a check/foreign money order
made out in DM (this is a way to pay, but still cost too much), and found out
I could purchase DM notes.   My bank Wells Fargo, gave me a special number,
which was in Sacramento (I live by San Francisco), which I called.  They
faxed me a form to fill out (I believe this was for my inf., and I didn't
need fax it back -- but maybe I did). I told them the amount I needed in DM,
they figured the exchange rate for me.  They deducted the amount from my
account, and mailed the money to my local branch.  When the DM arrived at my
local bank, I drove down and picked them up.  I now keep a file folder which
holds my DM to mail for payment when doing research.  I have never had a
problem with the DM not arriving at my source in Germany.

Diana Rensing Hancock

Re: RE: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/16 18:42:00
From: Gail Meyer Kilgore <gkilgore(a)primenet.com>

My bank charges me $15.00 per DM draft no matter what the amount.  I guess
it would be a good idea to get the DM itself and keep it on hand especially
if you were sending a lot of money to Germany.  The other thing I have been
told is just to send US$ and send it in different envelopes, say if the bill
is US$ 60.00 then send three envelopes with a 20 in each.  They don't seem
to mind taking our cash even tho it has to be changed too.  I also
encountered by sending a DM bank draft they still charged me 20.00 to
deposit a draft written on B of A in Frankfurt so that one cost me double.

Always.........Searching!!

Gail Meyer Kilgore
Casa Grande, AZ

"Sharing is half the joy of genealogy"

Distributor of Ostfriesen Tee,
Porzellan, und Kaffee from Germany

Re: HANSMEYER AND MEHRKAMP FAMILIES

Date: 1999/09/16 21:18:32
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Hello Karla,
the German phone directory (www.teleauskunft.de) shows 135 Hansmeyer, most
around Bielefeld and Bad Oeynhausen.
I can not find Mehrkamp, but 20 Merkamp, most around Wuppertal

Werner

Date: 1999/09/16 21:27:05
From: James Maxeiner <maxeiner(a)worldnet.att.net>

Fred

That's really a pity if Ruesch charges $15. Similar charges by other US
banks were an incentive to me to have and maintain an account in Germany.
Unfortunately, that's not cheap either--Deutsche Bank charges me DM 25 to
exchange my US dollar check and charges about DM 100 a year in bank fees for
only very occasional checks.

James

Date: 1999/09/16 23:22:42
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

That must be a local thing. I don't pay those charges. It would seem that
the best way for small amounts is to send cash either as DM or dollars as
some people here already do. It's quite amazing really as here in the good
old USA people look you over if you pay with a hundred dollar bill as if
cash were somehow suspect and credit cards are the more normal way to pay a
bill. :-)

 fred

Fred(a)compu.com
Beverly,NJ/Naples,FL

Date: 1999/09/17 05:20:09
From: hmulford <hmulford(a)eos.net>

What is the usual and customary amount, either in dollars or Deutschmarks, to
send when I request records from a specific Lutheran church archives in
Germany?  I know that my immigrant ancestor was the youngest of 12 children.  I
know their names and the names of their parents.  I am interested in any
records - birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage for my ancestor and siblings,
as well as for their parents, grandparents and on back.  Is it better to write
first with the details of my query and ask for information on the cost, or is
it better to send money along with the request for records?
--Mary Ann

Re: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/17 05:45:48
From: JBeck88803 <JBeck88803(a)aol.com>

Hi Fred,

Can you pay for copies of certificates with credit cards in Germany?  Please
reply.

Joan
JBeck88803(a)aol.com

Re: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/17 05:53:55
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

No, the archives don't take them. At least I don't know of any. The credit
card folks are usually businesses and mostly bookstores I deal with.

Fred

Fred(a)compu.com
Beverly,NJ/Naples,FL

Date: 1999/09/17 06:03:30
From: JBeck88803 <JBeck88803(a)aol.com>

Thanks Fred

Joan

Re: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/17 19:42:53
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/16/99 7:22:18 PM, hmulford(a)eos.net writes:

<< What is the usual and customary amount, either in dollars or Deutschmarks,
send when I request records from a specific Lutheran church archives in
Germany?  I know that my immigrant ancestor was the youngest of 12 children.
know their names and the names of their parents.  I am interested in any
records - birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage for my ancestor and siblings,
as well as for their parents, grandparents and on back.  Is it better to write
first with the details of my query and ask for information on the cost, or is
it better to send money along with the request for records?
--Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann,

I belong to a genealogy society and we have a German interest group.  A
German man is our leader, and he tells us to always sent DM with any letter.
People in general will take more interest in your request if money is
included to covers some of the cost.  Just send 10 or 20 DM, and tell them to
please let you know what the cost of all the records you want will be.

Diana Rensing

Eichsfeld

Date: 1999/09/17 22:02:19
From: anbi <anbi(a)zedat.fu-berlin.de>

Wer forscht im Eichsfeld? Ich bitte um eine Nachricht! André Bialk

Re: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/17 23:19:30
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

I have the same problem if I send a check in Dollar to U.S.A., at $50 check has
my bank charges me DM40.
Werner

Date: 1999/09/17 23:33:30
From: Bkercher <Bkercher(a)aol.com>

What about International Postal Money Orders?  I've sent several to Canada
and they only cost me $3.00 each.  I don't know for sure but I would think  a
money order to Germany would cost about the same.  As far as I know the
recipient gets cash and doesn't have to pay anything on the other end.
Just a thought.
Bryan Kercher

Re: Eichsfeld

Date: 1999/09/18 17:15:34
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Ich habe Kontakt zu einer Jacobi Familie in Texas deren Vorfahren Gustav
Jakobi aus Westhausen/Bad Heiligenstadt im Eichsfeld kommen. Der Ortschronist
Heinz Nolte hat mir dazu einige Daten geliefert.
Werner Honkomp

anbi schrieb:
> Wer forscht im Eichsfeld? Ich bitte um eine Nachricht! André Bialk

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Test

Date: 1999/09/18 21:32:33
From: Ernestine Wark <ekraw(a)webtv.net>

Just checking due to the hurricane.

Kemling

Date: 1999/09/19 02:36:59
From: anbi <anbi(a)zedat.fu-berlin.de>

Liebe Mitforscher,

ich suche für eine Familienchronik alle Namensvorkommen (Kemling,
Kemmling,
Kemmelingk etc.). Wer kann mir Hinweise geben? (Telefon-CD´s
Deutschland,
USA sind alle bekannt). Danke!
Viele Grüße André Bialk

Re: Eichsfeld

Date: 1999/09/19 08:24:39
From: Heinz Bredthauer <Heinz.Bredthauer(a)t-online.de>

anbi wrote:

> Wer forscht im Eichsfeld? Ich bitte um eine Nachricht! André Bialk

Lieber André,
das Eichsfeld ist groß, du solltest der mitforschenden
Runde schon etwas mehr Informationen geben, z.B. Orte,
Namen, Zeitraum.

Heinz

P.S. Ich selbst forsche nicht im Eichsfeld
--
Heinz Bredthauer, Spitzerfurth 15, D-25355 Barmstedt, ++49 4123 6302

Re: International bank drafts

Date: 1999/09/19 09:11:21
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Bkercher(a)aol.com schrieb:
> What about International Postal Money Orders?  I've sent several to Canada
> and they only cost me $3.00 each.  I don't know for sure but I would think  a
> money order to Germany would cost about the same.  As far as I know the
> recipient gets cash and doesn't have to pay anything on the other end.
> Just a thought.
> Bryan Kercher
--------------
This was a good way in the earlier time. But now the Post-Office accept the
International Postal Money Orders only for stamps.
I'm sorry, the best way is you send cash by Dollar or DM.
Werner

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: GOEDECKE

Date: 1999/09/20 02:15:05
From: Kathleen Hanna <khanna(a)kearney.net>

We have had our family reunion and I asked the parents of Jill
Rodehorst-Goedeken if anyone in the Goedeken family was researching
their family.  They are going to find out but they think someone in
the family might be.  We'll have to wait and see.  Again!  :-)
Kitty
Date: 1999/09/20 14:12:55
From: david l heller <dlheller(a)fuse.net>

I happened to check the book on emmigrants from the German county or
kreise Lingen written by Walter Tenfelde. There are 13 Godken (umlaut
over the o) that emmigrated from Lingen. This is an area about 1 1/2-2
hour drive going east from Amsterdam in the former state of Hannover. I
can send you the full names if wanted. Mentions their town of origin in
the county, parents, date born and emmigrated. One mentions that he was
going to Iowa.
Dave in Cincy

Kathleen Hanna wrote:

> We have had our family reunion and I asked the parents of Jill
> Rodehorst-Goedeken if anyone in the Goedeken family was researching
> their family.  They are going to find out but they think someone in
> the family might be.  We'll have to wait and see.  Again!  :-)
> Kitty

Re: GOEDECKE

Date: 1999/09/21 01:01:44
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/20/99 4:13:59 AM, dlheller(a)fuse.net writes:

<< I happened to check the book on emmigrants from the German county or
kreise Lingen written by Walter Tenfelde. There are 13 Godken (umlaut
over the o) that emmigrated from Lingen. This is an area about 1 1/2-2
hour drive going east from Amsterdam in the former state of Hannover. I
can send you the full names if wanted. Mentions their town of origin in
the county, parents, date born and emmigrated. One mentions that he was
going to Iowa.
Hi Dave in Cincy

 My ancestors also came from kreise Lingen in the former state of Hannover.
Can you please check Walter Tenfelde book for me.  The surname is Rensing,
also spelled Rensick and Rensinck.   Thanks a million.

Diana Rensing Hancock

Hi Dave in Cincy,

Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/21 04:01:03
From: Tucson Tom <tommytech(a)dakotacom.net>

Hello List

I've observed numerous references to the 'Tenfelde book' which lists
emigration from Königreich Hannover. If an owner of this venerable volume
would be so kind, I have a request to add to the dozens of previous ones:

<any> BUSCHERMÖHLEs from Ankum, Kreis Osnabrück
<any> STRATMANNs from Cloppenberg, Kreis Oldenburg (or Hannover in general)

Any info gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

-=Tucson Tom=-

RE: TENFELDE LOOKUP

Date: 1999/09/21 14:40:17
From: Karla Nurnberg <muessidenn(a)yahoo.com>

Hi,
    I have seen several people ask for lookups in this
book, but I thought that I would not need to ask for
one. However, I am looking under and over every rock
in this search for my cousin's ancestors. They came to
Muscatine County, Iowa sometime before 1849. His name
was Johann Henrich/Heinrich Hansmeyer and her name was
Christina Merkamp/Mehrkamp. Do either of these
surnames appear in this book?
    Thank you for any help that you can give me.
                          Karla Nurnberg

Re: TENFELDE LOOKUP

Date: 1999/09/22 20:42:08
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

I'm sorry Karla,
the Tenfelde included not this names.

Werner
Karla Nurnberg schrieb:
> Hi,
>     I have seen several people ask for lookups in this
> book, but I thought that I would not need to ask for
> one. However, I am looking under and over every rock
> in this search for my cousin's ancestors. They came to
> Muscatine County, Iowa sometime before 1849. His name
> was Johann Henrich/Heinrich Hansmeyer and her name was
> Christina Merkamp/Mehrkamp. Do either of these
> surnames appear in this book?
>     Thank you for any help that you can give me.
>                           Karla Nurnberg

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/22 20:42:08
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

I'm sorry Tom,
the Tenfelde have not included this names.
But I have a good researcher address for the Ankum Bersenbrück region:

Margret von der Haar
Pommersche Str.27
49593 Bersenbrück
Germany

Telf +49 5439 1635, no email

She need only DM 15 per hour

Werner
Tucson Tom schrieb:
> Hello List
>
> I've observed numerous references to the 'Tenfelde book' which lists
> emigration from Königreich Hannover. If an owner of this venerable volume
> would be so kind, I have a request to add to the dozens of previous ones:
>
> <any> BUSCHERMÖHLEs from Ankum, Kreis Osnabrück
> <any> STRATMANNs from Cloppenberg, Kreis Oldenburg (or Hannover in general)
>
> Any info gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
>
> -=Tucson Tom=-

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Rensing

Date: 1999/09/22 20:45:30
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Rensing512(a)aol.com schrieb:
>  My ancestors also came from kreise Lingen in the former state of Hannover.
> Can you please check Walter Tenfelde book for me.  The surname is Rensing,
> also spelled Rensick and Rensinck.   Thanks a million.
>
> Diana Rensing Hancock

The Tenfelde book shows:

Rensing Bernhard Johann, *27.04.1881 Lingen, emigrated 1895, Parents:
Zimmermann(carpenter) Johann Gerhard Rensing and Anna Helena Niebuer

Rensing Joh. Christoph Bernard, *25.06.1810 Lingen, Zimmermann, oo11.06.1839
Lingen to Maria Helena Lüken, emigrated 1849, parents: Schreiner(carpenter) Joh.
Rensing and Gertrud Müter(oo02.03.1802)

Rensing Maria, *30.03.1849 Lingen, emigrated 1872, parents: Timmermann Johann
Heinrich Rensing and Catharina Adelheid Jürgens

Thats all,
Werner
Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Rensing

Date: 1999/09/22 21:39:53
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/22/99 10:50:24 AM, Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de writes:

<< Rensing512(a)aol.com schrieb:
>  My ancestors also came from kreise Lingen in the former state of Hannover.

> Can you please check Walter Tenfelde book for me.  The surname is Rensing,
> also spelled Rensick and Rensinck.   Thanks a million.
>
> Diana Rensing Hancock

The Tenfelde book shows:

Rensing Bernhard Johann, *27.04.1881 Lingen, emigrated 1895, Parents:
Zimmermann(carpenter) Johann Gerhard Rensing and Anna Helena Niebuer

Rensing Joh. Christoph Bernard, *25.06.1810 Lingen, Zimmermann, oo11.06.1839
Lingen to Maria Helena Lüken, emigrated 1849, parents: Schreiner(carpenter)
Joh.
Rensing and Gertrud Müter(oo02.03.1802)

Rensing Maria, *30.03.1849 Lingen, emigrated 1872, parents: Timmermann Johann
Heinrich Rensing and Catharina Adelheid Jürgens

Thats all,
Werner

Hi Werner,

Thanks a million.  I am learning to love this group!   When I first joined a
few months ago I was very confused, but now getting the "hang of it."  The
Microsoft Expedia Map site is wonderful.

Diana

-

Re: Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/23 03:34:58
From: Tucson Tom <tommytech(a)dakotacom.net>

Thanks for your efforts, Werner. I'll follow up with Ms von der Haar.

Date: 1999/09/23 04:25:40
From: Dick & Dori Rhody <rrhody(a)itis.com>

> Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
> Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
> D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Werner,
I know you looked my family already, Marheine and Morhoff. Yes Henretta
is my husband's gggrandmother.  TYou gave an address for someone who
will do research, Does she cover the area near Neu Wallmoden?
Dori

Re: Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/23 21:09:27
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Dick & Dori Rhody schrieb:

> Werner,
> I know you looked my family already, Marheine and Morhoff. Yes Henretta
> is my husband's gggrandmother.  TYou gave an address for someone who
> will do research, Does she cover the area near Neu Wallmoden?
> Dori
---------
I'm sorry, I have not this names. Neuwallmoden is an other area, it is part of
the town Wallmoden, county Goslar, near to Hildesheim / Braunschweig.

Werner

Date: 1999/09/24 16:11:46
From: Grammalp <Grammalp(a)aol.com>

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is this Walter Tenfelde book that
everyone talks about?  Thanks

Re: Rensing

Date: 1999/09/24 17:05:02
From: redaktionsbüro <Redaktionsbuero.Froboese(a)innternet.de>

Ich erlaube mir, ebenso "dumm" zu fragen und interesse mich dafür, ob in dem
Buch evtl. der Familienname "Froböse" auftaucht?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
R. Froböse

Date: 1999/09/24 18:19:51
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/24/99 6:12:32 AM, Grammalp(a)aol.com writes:

<< I don't want to sound stupid, but what is this Walter Tenfelde book that
everyone talks about?  Thanks

Hi,

You are never stupid, just because you have not familiar with one book.  I am
not 100% sure, and other know the book better than me.  It is a book on
persons that immigrated to America from (at least the part I know about), the
kreise (area) of Lingen of Germany in the former state of Hannover.  I am
lucky that people with my surname are included in the list, and my surname
came from Lingen.

Diana

Re: Melching/Behnke

Date: 1999/09/24 18:30:39
From: CR0500 <CR0500(a)aol.com>

I am looking to locate my ggrandmother's and ggrandfathers's families. My
ggrandmother Lena Melching  was born Aug. 28, 1857 in Hanover Germany and
sometime between 1857 and 1881 she emigrated to West Virginia(?) then to
Jefferson County OH.  She married  Hermann Behnke in Jefferson County, OH
March 8, 1881.  I don't know where Hermann comes from maybe he too comes from
Hanover?  Thanks for any help.

 Connie

Re: TENFELDE LOOKUP

Date: 1999/09/24 18:52:46
From: Paula de Wet <dewet(a)hsc.usc.edu>

> Hi Werner,

I am also desperate - I am looking for information regarding
my ggfather.  My grandfather was born in South Africa in 1883,
so my ggfather could have left Germany any time between 1830
to early 1880.  His name is Willem (Wilhelm, William) STOVER
with the umlaut on the "o".  According to a form I discovered, he
listed his place of birth as "Oldenburg".  According to family stories
there were three brothers, one came to America  and the other
one died in a war.  Other names we have used in the family are
Diederich(Dietrich) and Heinrich(Henrich).

Please help!

  I have seen several people ask for lookups in this

> > book, but I thought that I would not need to ask for
> > one. However, I am looking under and over every rock
> > in this search for my cousin's ancestors.

Thank you so very much for your time.
Paula
Los Angeles

Re: Possible Look-Up

Date: 1999/09/24 21:00:53
From: Grammalp <Grammalp(a)aol.com>

Diana -- thanks for answering and making me feel good about not being stupid.
 Is it possible to ask someone to see if my gggrandparents are in the book?
All I know so far about their life in Germany is that her obit stated she was
born in 1831 in Mecklenburg, Germany and later moved to Hannover where she
married my gggrandfather and they immigrated in 1854 to America, settling in
Clinton, IA.  Their names were Christoph and Wilhelmina (SCHULTZ) MEYER.  He
was born in 1830, but I don't know where.  If anyone can help me, I would be
very grateful.  Thanks Lynda

Re: Rensing

Date: 1999/09/24 21:02:52
From: Grammalp <Grammalp(a)aol.com>

R. Frobose - Sorry, I don't speak German; although ALL of my ancestors were
originally from Germany.  It is my loss.  Thanks anyway, Lynda

Re: Rensing

Date: 1999/09/24 22:33:01
From: Augie Braun <augielou(a)egyptian.net>

Lynda, go to http://translator.go.com/  and enter the message. The translation
is not 100% and sometimes hilarious but one usuall gets the meaning. Augie

Grammalp(a)aol.com wrote:

> R. Frobose - Sorry, I don't speak German; although ALL of my ancestors were
> originally from Germany.  It is my loss.  Thanks anyway, Lynda

Re: tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/25 03:59:15
From: angie-web <angie-web(a)webtv.net>

i have seen "lingen" before-can anyone describe what area that would
encompass? (what villages are within?) i am looking for heinrich f.
bergmann born 8 may 1842. thanks, angie

Beckman(n?)

Date: 1999/09/25 17:29:11
From: J Moore <csjdm(a)yahoo.com>

According to family history, my ggg-grandfather,
Frederick Beckman (Freidrich Beckmann?) was born in
1819 in Hannover, parents and siblings unknown.  He
married Louisa Miller (Louise Mueller?) in 1836.  She
was born in 1824 (although she seems very young at
marriage, the dates are upheld all through the census
records here).  Her father was a Conrad Miller (or
Konrad Mueller?), mother unknown at this point.
Frederick and Louisa came to the US throught the Port
of New Orleans, arriving in 1837 at such time that my
gg-grandfather Fredrick Conrad Beckman was born aboard
ship on 23 February 1837.  We know that the family got
to St Louis sometime before 1850.

I'm looking for either direct information or more
information about what to look for and where to find
out more.  Thank you for any assistance.

Re: Melching/Behnke

Date: 1999/09/25 17:31:19
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

Hi,
I don't know about Melching but Behnke is most probably from the
Oldenburg/Hannover area. It is a rather common name coming from St Bernhard
just like various other Bene/Behne names.

Just where is another question of course. I don't know how far you've come
on this name but it matters as to religion and their neighbors in Ohio.

Fred

Fred(a)compu.com
Beverly,NJ/Naples,FL

> I am looking to locate my ggrandmother's and ggrandfathers's families. My
> ggrandmother Lena Melching  was born Aug. 28, 1857 in Hanover Germany and
> sometime between 1857 and 1881 she emigrated to West Virginia(?) then to
> Jefferson County OH.  She married  Hermann Behnke in Jefferson County, OH
> March 8, 1881.  I don't know where Hermann comes from maybe he too comes
from
> Hanover?  Thanks for any help.
>
>  Connie

Beckman(n?)....

Date: 1999/09/25 17:44:04
From: J Moore <csjdm(a)yahoo.com>

I forgot to sign my previous message.

Janel (Beckman) Moore
IL, USA

Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/27 04:36:20
From: Augie Braun <augielou(a)egyptian.net>

Werner, my gggrandfather, Ernest Heinrich Brinkmeier was born in Bur,
Hannover. And possible my gggrandmother, Clara Maria Bergsieker.
Would you please look and see if they are listed? And where is Bur?

I'm new to the list. If everyone is as helpful as you are, it must be a
good list. Thanks, Augie

Re: Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/27 07:31:19
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

That would have been Buer which is today a part of the city of Melle to the
east of Osnabrück. It would not involve the Tenfelde book.
Fred

PS there are quite a few descendants of Buer emigrants in the US busily
doing their genealogy. I think there might even be some on this list.

Fred(a)compu.com
Beverly,NJ/Naples,FL

Date: 1999/09/27 09:24:45
From: Bill Duncan <bduncan(a)Teleport.com>

Greetings,
    I am new to this mail list and would like to know if anyone has come
across or is researching the Ohse family line from Hanover. Edmund Ohse Sr.
was born in Hahndorf, Hanover, Germany ( or Prussia, I'm not sure ) in
1820. He immigrated to Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, U.S.A. He married Anna
Maria Klietz, born in Prussia, daughter of Christoph Klietz and Friedericke
Duckstein.
    If anyone has information relating to these families, I would love to
correspond and share what information I have.
Thank-you for your time,
Bill Duncan
bduncan(a)teleport.com

Re: Rensing

Date: 1999/09/27 21:31:42
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Grammalp(a)aol.com schrieb:
> I don't want to sound stupid, but what is this Walter Tenfelde book that
> everyone talks about?  Thanks

The Tenfelde book included more than 5000 emigrants from the former county
Lingen / Kingdom of Hannover

Werner

Date: 1999/09/27 21:31:45
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

The book shows not an Christoph Meyer. Mecklenburg is 400 km (250 miles) far
from Lingen to east.
Werner
----------------------
Grammalp(a)aol.com schrieb:
> Diana -- thanks for answering and making me feel good about not being stupid.
>  Is it possible to ask someone to see if my gggrandparents are in the book?
> All I know so far about their life in Germany is that her obit stated she was
> born in 1831 in Mecklenburg, Germany and later moved to Hannover where she
> married my gggrandfather and they immigrated in 1854 to America, settling in
> Clinton, IA.  Their names were Christoph and Wilhelmina (SCHULTZ) MEYER.  He
> was born in 1830, but I don't know where.  If anyone can help me, I would be
> very grateful.  Thanks Lynda

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Beckman(n?)

Date: 1999/09/27 21:31:46
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

The Tenfelde book included some Beckmann's, but not Friederich.
One record is without Firstname, it says:

Beckmann, a man, born Spelle(county Lingen), emigrated 1836

an other Beckmann born in Plantlünne (county Lingen), no married, emigrated 1837

Werner
J Moore schrieb:
> According to family history, my ggg-grandfather,
> Frederick Beckman (Freidrich Beckmann?) was born in
> 1819 in Hannover, parents and siblings unknown.  He
> married Louisa Miller (Louise Mueller?) in 1836.  She
> was born in 1824 (although she seems very young at
> marriage, the dates are upheld all through the census
> records here).  Her father was a Conrad Miller (or
> Konrad Mueller?), mother unknown at this point.
> Frederick and Louisa came to the US throught the Port
> of New Orleans, arriving in 1837 at such time that my
> gg-grandfather Fredrick Conrad Beckman was born aboard
> ship on 23 February 1837.  We know that the family got
> to St Louis sometime before 1850.
>
> I'm looking for either direct information or more
> information about what to look for and where to find
> out more.  Thank you for any assistance.

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Froböse

Date: 1999/09/27 21:32:06
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Keine Frage ist "dumm", ich habe folgendes:

Froböse Heinrich aus Lingen, *14.10.1823 Halte im Ravenberg'schen,
Schneidermeisetr, oo1848, ausgewandert 1860, St.Louis, reist mit Frau mit dem
Schiff "Georg". E: Bürger Friedrich Wilhelm Froböse und Katharina Wilhelmina
Tepen.

Froböse geb. Simon Anna Charlotte, *20.07.1822, oo1848, ausgeeandert 1861. E:
Tagelöhner Heinrich Simon und Fenne Gerroit Rolfs.

Nach diesen Namen hatte doch schon mal jemand gefragt!?

Werner
---------------------------------------
redaktionsbüro schrieb:
> Ich erlaube mir, ebenso "dumm" zu fragen und interesse mich dafür, ob in dem
> Buch evtl. der Familienname "Froböse" auftaucht?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> R. Froböse
>
> Grammalp(a)aol.com schrieb:
>
> > I don't want to sound stupid, but what is this Walter Tenfelde book that
> > everyone talks about?  Thanks

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Ohse

Date: 1999/09/27 21:32:11
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Hahndorf is a part of the town Goslar, in the Harz mountains.

Werner
-------------------------------
Bill Duncan schrieb:
> Greetings,
>     I am new to this mail list and would like to know if anyone has come
> across or is researching the Ohse family line from Hanover. Edmund Ohse Sr.
> was born in Hahndorf, Hanover, Germany ( or Prussia, I'm not sure ) in
> 1820. He immigrated to Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, U.S.A. He married Anna
> Maria Klietz, born in Prussia, daughter of Christoph Klietz and Friedericke
> Duckstein.
>     If anyone has information relating to these families, I would love to
> correspond and share what information I have.
> Thank-you for your time,
> Bill Duncan
> bduncan(a)teleport.com

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Bergmann

Date: 1999/09/27 21:35:15
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Lingen is a county and town on the boarder to netherland.
The Tenfelde book of Lingen included not a Bergmann.
I believe the origin of this name is from south of the province Oldenburg, we
says Südoldenburg or Oldenburger-Münsterland.
Checkout my genealogy website.

Date: 1999/09/27 21:38:08
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

I'm sorry, I have not a Brinkmeier in the Tenfelde book.

I have also not found the place Bur.

Werner
-------------------------------------
Augie Braun schrieb:
> Werner, my gggrandfather, Ernest Heinrich Brinkmeier was born in Bur,
> Hannover. And possible my gggrandmother, Clara Maria Bergsieker.
> Would you please look and see if they are listed? And where is Bur?
>
> I'm new to the list. If everyone is as helpful as you are, it must be a
> good list. Thanks, Augie

Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

Re: Sources?

Date: 1999/09/27 21:40:07
From: JuJuBean11 <JuJuBean11(a)aol.com>

Does anyone know what research sources/books/records/etc. are available for
the district of Melle in Hannover (especially village of Oberholsten)?  I
find nothing listed in the LDS catalog.  Is there anything in print?

Julie

Re: TENFELDE LOOKUP

Date: 1999/09/27 21:42:25
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Hi Paula,
Stöver is a very common name in the province Oldenburg.
I ask my friend Willi Stöver, but he have have not an idea about this.
He will ask other relatives.

Werner

Date: 1999/09/27 22:08:56
From: CR0500 <CR0500(a)aol.com>

Werner:

  I hate to ask you as it seems you are overwhelmed with requests.  But could
you look to see if you have any Behnke and Melching from Hanover?  My
ggrandmother's obit states that she was from Hanover (b. 8/28/57) and they
had her name as Lena Melching Behnke so I am assuming her maiden name was
Melching.  I don't know anything more except that she was active in the Zion
Luthern church. Thanks for any help you can give.

  Connie

Re: Lingen

Date: 1999/09/27 22:13:07
From: Terry Sylvia <tsylvia(a)capecod.net>

Werner,

Could you please define the boundaries of Lingen or direct me to a map that
would show them as covered by the Tenfelde book ?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Froböse

Date: 1999/09/28 07:42:45
From: redaktionsbüro <Redaktionsbuero.Froboese(a)innternet.de>

Haben Sie vielen Dank für den wertvollen Hinweis.

Beste Grüße aus Oberbayern
R. Froböse

Werner Honkomp schrieb:

> Keine Frage ist "dumm", ich habe folgendes:
>
> Froböse Heinrich aus Lingen, *14.10.1823 Halte im Ravenberg'schen,
> Schneidermeisetr, oo1848, ausgewandert 1860, St.Louis, reist mit Frau mit dem
> Schiff "Georg". E: Bürger Friedrich Wilhelm Froböse und Katharina Wilhelmina
> Tepen.
>
> Froböse geb. Simon Anna Charlotte, *20.07.1822, oo1848, ausgeeandert 1861. E:
> Tagelöhner Heinrich Simon und Fenne Gerroit Rolfs.
>
> Nach diesen Namen hatte doch schon mal jemand gefragt!?
>
> Werner
> ---------------------------------------
> redaktionsbüro schrieb:
> > Ich erlaube mir, ebenso "dumm" zu fragen und interesse mich dafür, ob in dem
> > Buch evtl. der Familienname "Froböse" auftaucht?
> >
> > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> > R. Froböse
> >
> > Grammalp(a)aol.com schrieb:
> >
> > > I don't want to sound stupid, but what is this Walter Tenfelde book that
> > > everyone talks about?  Thanks

> Werner Honkomp          eMail: werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
> Ziegelhofstr. 35B       Homepage: http://www.oyc.de/werner.honkomp/
> D-26121 Oldenburg       Genealogie: http://www.honkomp.de/

a few days of rest coming up

Date: 1999/09/28 17:31:35
From: Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

Because of a major hardware reconfiguration all services at genealogy.net
will go down from Thu, Sep 30 until Mon, Oct 4. To avoid a mail burst when
the system is up again, please do not contribute to the mailing list
during that time.

Wegen umfangreicher Hardwarearbeiten werden alle Dienste über
genealogy.net in der Zeit von 30. Sep. bis 4. Okt. nicht erreichbar sein.
Um eine Mailschwemme bei Wiederaufnahem am Montag zu vermeiden, moechte
ich alle bitten, waehrend dieser Zeit keine Beitraege an die Mailingliste
zu schicken.

Fred(a)compu.com
Beverly,NJ/Naples,FL
(list owner)

Emigration from county Osnabrück

Date: 1999/09/28 19:04:16
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

I have seen today a book in german and english about the Emigration of the
county Osnabrück.
It included history stories about emigrants from Melle, Quakenbrück,
Bersenbrück, Gehrde to Holboken NJ, New Melle Missouri and others.
Title:
"Von Heuerleuten und Farmern", Auswanderung aus dem Osnabrücker Land.
Published by Landschaftsverbund Osnabrückerland, Osnabrück.
email: landschaft.os-land(a)t-online.de

Werner

Date: 1999/09/28 19:04:19
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

------------------------------------

Date: 1999/09/28 20:20:11
From: Grammalp <Grammalp(a)aol.com>

Werner - thanks for being patient with a newbie.  She traveled from
Mecklenburg to Hannover and met and married him in Hannover. I can't find any
other German background info on him.  He is elusive and haven't been able to
find any clues. They immigrated in 1854 and he died in 1870 in Clinton
County, IA.  Thanks for your lookup.  Lynda

Re: a few days of rest coming up

Date: 1999/09/28 22:07:19
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Hallo Fred,
ich bin vom 2. bis 15. Oktober auf Trip in Californien, von mir kommt dann
nichts.
Die letzten letzten Tage hatte ich eine kleine Invasion von amerikanischen
Verwandten aus Cincinnati und Minnesota.

Gruss Werner

Date: 1999/09/29 04:33:11
From: Debora Crawford <djcrawford(a)worldnet.att.net>

Werner,

By chance do you have any listings for a Heinrich Grothehen (could also be
Grothjohann, or a variations) in your book.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Debbie

Re: Froböse

Date: 1999/09/29 08:47:54
From: redaktionsbüro <Redaktionsbuero.Froboese(a)innternet.de>

Lieber Herr Honkomp,

eine kleine Frage hätte ich noch: Gibt es bei der Anna Charlotte Froböse keine
Hinweise auf weitere Familienmitglieder? Wohin ist Sie überhaupt ausgewandert?
Geht es in dem Buch nur um die Auswanderung in die USA oder sind auch andere Ziele
aufgeführt?

In der Hoffnung, Sie nicht über Gebühr beansprucht zu haben,
verbleibe ich mit herzlichen Grüßen aus Wasserburg am Inn
R. Froböse

Date: 1999/09/29 19:50:05
From: PAPALONI <PAPALONI(a)aol.com>

Dear Werner,
Do you have any Christopher Cordes born 12/21/1823, in Scheessel, Hannover,
Germany. His father Joyhann Cordes, and mother Metta Engle Schroeder.

Thank You,
Lonnie L. Cords

Re: Tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/29 22:01:57
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

The book shows not names like this. The phone directory only one of the name
Grothjohann. Here the address:

Grothjohann, B.
  49800 Lingen (Ems)

I have not the street. Phone: +49 591-59916

Werner

Date: 1999/09/29 22:03:41
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

PAPALONI(a)aol.com schrieb:
> Dear Werner,
> Do you have any Christopher Cordes born 12/21/1823, in Scheessel, Hannover,
> Germany. His father Joyhann Cordes, and mother Metta Engle Schroeder.
>
> Thank You,
> Lonnie L. Cords
-----------
I'm sorry, Scheesel is located more to east.

Werner

Date: 1999/09/29 23:27:19
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/24/99 11:01:40 AM, Grammalp(a)aol.com writes:

<< Diana -- thanks for answering and making me feel good about not being
stupid.
 Is it possible to ask someone to see if my gggrandparents are in the book?
All I know so far about their life in Germany is that her obit stated she was
born in 1831 in Mecklenburg, Germany and later moved to Hannover where she
married my gggrandfather and they immigrated in 1854 to America, settling in
Clinton, IA.  Their names were Christoph and Wilhelmina (SCHULTZ) MEYER.  He
was born in 1830, but I don't know where.  If anyone can help me, I would be
very grateful.  Thanks Lynda

Hi Lynda,

A man named Werner has the book, and checking names for people.  He may at
this point be sorry he volunteered, or he may enjoy this -- you can ask him
to check for you.  He seems nice and very helpful.  My Hanover Germans came
to Clinton Co., Illinois.  Are you sure yours went to Clinton, IA?

Diana

Re: Rensing

Date: 1999/09/30 00:14:16
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/24/99 12:34:04 PM, augielou(a)egyptian.net writes:

<< Lynda, go to http://translator.go.com/  and enter the message. The
translation
is not 100% and sometimes hilarious but one usuall gets the meaning. Augie

Grammalp(a)aol.com wrote: >>

Hi Augie,

Thanks a million for this great site.

Diana

Re: tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/30 00:22:51
From: Rensing512 <Rensing512(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 9/24/99 6:00:04 PM, angie-web(a)webtv.net writes:

<< i have seen "lingen" before-can anyone describe what area that would
encompass? (what villages are within?) i am looking for heinrich f.
bergmann born 8 may 1842. thanks, angie

Hi Angie,

Lingen is in Niedersachen (Old Kingdom of Hanover), Germany.  It is close to
the Dutch border.  There is a town of Lingen, and an area of Lingen.

Diana

Re: Possible Look-Up

Date: 1999/09/30 05:54:50
From: Grammalp <Grammalp(a)aol.com>

Diana - absolutely sure - Davenport (Scott County), IA and Clinton (Clinton
County, IA.  It's the German connection I'm struggling with. Thanks - Lynda
- Davenport, IA

Re: tenfelde

Date: 1999/09/30 22:53:51
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

The Tenfelde book of Lingen shows not any Bergmann.
We have some Bergmann in southtern of the province Oldenburg (catholic).
Look also my website with Damme emigrants: www.honkomp.de/damme-auswanderung/
Werner

Date: 1999/09/30 22:53:51
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>