Monatsdigest

[Famfo-esens-l] Rüstmann

Date: 2020/08/13 00:22:07
From: Blake Rustmann via FamFo-Esens-L <famfo-esens-l(a)genealogy.net>

Moin!

My ancestor Foke Rüstmann emigrated from Esens back in the 1870s to New
York City, and I am very interested in History and Genealogy.

We have an on-going debate with my relatives that I was hoping you could
help settle. We are wondering what the name "Rüstmann" means in
Plattdeutsch. My uncle believes it means "arms maker" or "armor maker".

However, I know the name was adopted by our ancestor Foke Janssen Rustmann
(B. 1775, D. 1858) around 1811 when Napoleon abolished the patronymic
naming system common to Ostfriesland. During that time, I'm not aware of
much armor or gun producing industry in the area. Given that, I suspect the
name is derived from the word for “scaffolding” or another kind of wood
framework, which would imply the name means "scaffold maker" or something
similar.

Do you know any information about the history of the name?

-Blake

--
Blake Rustmann
brustmann(a)gmail.com

Re: [Famfo-esens-l] Rüstmann

Date: 2020/08/13 12:25:59
From: Ulf via FamFo-Esens-L <famfo-esens-l(a)genealogy.net>

Moin
https://ofb.genealogy.net/famreport.php?ofb=stedesdorf&ID=I20554&nachname=Ruestmann&modus=&lang=de
Da steht der Beruf doch dabei
Mfg
Ulf

Blake Rustmann via FamFo-Esens-L <famfo-esens-l(a)genealogy.net> schrieb am
Do., 13. Aug. 2020, 10:37:

> Moin!
>
> My ancestor Foke Rüstmann emigrated from Esens back in the 1870s to New
> York City, and I am very interested in History and Genealogy.
>
> We have an on-going debate with my relatives that I was hoping you could
> help settle. We are wondering what the name "Rüstmann" means in
> Plattdeutsch. My uncle believes it means "arms maker" or "armor maker".
>
> However, I know the name was adopted by our ancestor Foke Janssen Rustmann
> (B. 1775, D. 1858) around 1811 when Napoleon abolished the patronymic
> naming system common to Ostfriesland. During that time, I'm not aware of
> much armor or gun producing industry in the area. Given that, I suspect the
> name is derived from the word for “scaffolding” or another kind of wood
> framework, which would imply the name means "scaffold maker" or something
> similar.
>
> Do you know any information about the history of the name?
>
> -Blake
>
> --
> Blake Rustmann
> brustmann(a)gmail.com
> Cell:  (972) 567-6679

[Famfo-esens-l] WG: Heirat Folkerst Schneider in Breslau 1907

Date: 2020/08/19 15:10:04
From: marita via FamFo-Esens-L <famfo-esens-l(a)genealogy.net>

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10