Chuck Braun
Church locations
Datum 2000/02/29 10:38:48
carl and patricia baido
Re: Hekp wanted
2000/02/29 05:09:59
Chuck Braun
Church locations
Betreff 2000/02/29 13:45:42
Dietrich Fabricius
Re: Church locations
2000/02/22 22:07:12
Edommer
Re: Czartolon, Amt Schlochau
Autor 2000/02/28 20:28:26
Em
Re: Vandenburg

Re: Church locations

Date: 2000/02/29 09:26:40
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)...

Chuck,
I would recommend to get hold of the "Historisch-geographischer Atlas des
Preussenlandes". That it is a phantastic compilation of data for West- and
East-Prussia, it uses old maps and overlays on individual pages with the
following information:
1. administrational structure and jurisdiction  ("Verwaltungsgliederung")
2. organisation of catholic and protestant churches and mennonites
("Kirchliche Organisation")
3. legal postion of villages/towns ("Rechtsstellung der Siedlungen")
4. number of households ("Feuerstellen")
That all has been put together as a snapshot of 1785, say about a decade
after the first Polish Partion (1772), when Prussia took parts of Poland
over. It was then when the term "Westprussia" was introduced in contrast to
the old Dukedom of Prussia, which was then called "Eastprussia"...by order of
Friedrich II, believe it or not.
Back to the atlas:
The a.m. atlas was published by Franz Steiner Verlag GmbH, Wiesbaden, Germany.
My edition is from 1970, a tremendous source and typical masterpiece of
precision.
The authors are the German historians Hans Mortensen, Gertrud Mortensen and
Reinhard Wenskus.
The atlas comes in 20 individual pages of about 50 cm x 70 cm as a big roll
of paper.
The scale of the maps is 1 : 300.000. The delivery is also accompanied by
detailed tabulations and descriptions of the historical context.

This atlas is a real gain for every genealogist in East- and Westprussia.

All the best,
Eberhardt Dommer