Monatsdigest

RES: RES: Villages in Preusen

Date: 2000/02/01 14:06:52
From: Erica Margita Neumann <Erica.Neumann(a)vantcom.net>

	Muriel.

	> Erica - Konitz LDS churchfilm 0245414

	Thanks for the microfilm number.
	Do you know if exists a index from this microfilm ?
	With a index I can know if the film contain the name I´m searching.

> Best regards.
> Erica Neumann
> erica.neumann(a)vantcom.net

GIESWEIN and PINNECKER

Date: 2000/02/01 18:25:35
From: John W. Wall <john(a)johnwall.com>

I'm searching for the GIESWEIN and PINNECKER families.  They were all born
in Pushen (spelling?), Germany (or Prussia) and moved to Moor and
Gnadenfeld, Russia near the Volga River about 1870.

The people I'm searching for and their birth dates are:
Carl Gieswein - about 1819
John Fredrick Gieswein - August 17, 1845
Elizabeth Michell - 1849
Anna Mary Pinnecker - November 04, 1857
Elizabeth Gieswein – 1865
Henry Gieswein – 1867

The spelling of these names (first, middle, and last) is probably an
"Americanized" spelling.

John W. Wall
john(a)johnwall.com
eFax (603) 687-0482
home page: http://www.johnwall.com
genealogy page: http://www.johnwall.com/family/tree.htm

GIESWEIN and PINNECKER

Date: 2000/02/02 02:02:42
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re

Re: Locations

Date: 2000/02/02 04:53:48
From: Leanne <magdalyn(a)xta.com>

To all that answered my  question about location...Not sure if I sent this
yet, as my hard drive has become an independent thinker, but I wanted to say
Thank You for all of the information.  I've now been able to determine
town/village locale, and will hopefully be able to advance in my research.
Thanks Again!
Leanne Mitchell
P.S. Live in Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin area, should anyone need
any local info.  Available one to two times per month.

Date: 2000/02/03 13:24:05
From: Mary Brettell <mbrettell(a)bigpond.com>

Greetings one and all.
I don't speak German.  (I hope to rectify this problem very soon.)
Can anyone help me out with a problem please?
My problem is that my ancestors seem to have come to Australia from a part
of West Prussia where no church records exist.
Grüße einer und alle. Ich spreche nicht Deutsch. (Ich hoffe, dieses Problem
sehr bald gleichzurichten.)
Kann jemand mir bei einem Problem heraus helfen bitte?
Mein Problem ist, daß meine Vorfahren scheinen, nach Australien von einem
Teil von WestPrussia gekommen zu sein, in dem keine Kirchesätze
existierenen.

The family names I desperately seek information on are JAHL and MANZ (and
HOPP).
Die Familiennamen, die ich hoffnungslos Informationen sind suche an, JAHL
und MANZ (und HOPP).

Johann Zaswarius JAHL married Sabiene HOPP at Rosenfeld, Marienwerder about
1857.  She died and he then married Rosalia MANZ, my great, great,
grandmother, in Neuhof (or Rose), Marienwerder, near Deutsche Krone, on 23
November 1859.
Johann Zaswarius JAHL verband Sabiene HOPP bei Rosenfeld, Marienwerder über
1857. Sie starb und er verband dann Rosalia MANZ, mein großes, groß, in
Großmutter, Neuhof (oder Rose), in Marienwerder, nahe Krone Deutsche, am
November 23 1859.

Johann, Rosalia, and their children Ottilie (born about 1861), Johann (born
1863), and Josephine (born about 1866), migrated to Australia on the ship
Friedeburg in 1871.
The Hamburg Shipping List states that the family came from Klein Nakel (west
of Deutsche Korne).
The father of Johann Zawarius JAHL was also Johann and his mother Anna
Kristina DREWS.
The parents of Rosalia MANZ are unknown to me.
Johann, Rosalia und ihre Kinder Ottilie (getragen ungefähr 1861), Johann
(geboren 1863) und Josephine (geboren ungefähr 1866), fortgezogen nach
Australien auf dem Schiff Friedeburg 1871.
Die Hamburgverschiffenliste gibt an, daß die Familie von Klein Nakel kam
(westlich von Deutsche Korne).
Der Vater von Johann Zawarius JAHL war auch Johann und seine Mutter Anna
Kristina DREWS.
Die Muttersubstanzen von Rosalia MANZ sind mir unbekannt.

I am at a loss to know how to find information on either Johann JAHL or
Rosalia MANZ.
I have been writing letters (translated into German) to JAHL families from
the German telephone directory but have not had any luck with finding anyone
from this family.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Do ANY records exist for Rosenfeld, Rose, Neuhof (Marienwerder), or Klein
Nakel?
Can anyone think of ANYTHING that would help me please?

Ich bin an einem Verlust zum Können Informationen entweder über Johann JAHL
oder Rosalia MANZ finden.
Ich bin die Schreiben Zeichen gewesen (übersetzt in Deutschen) zu den
JAHL-Familien vom deutschen Telefonverzeichnis aber habe kein Glück mit dem
Finden jedermann von dieser Familie gehabt.
Hat jemand irgendwelche Vorschläge gefallen?
Existierenen IRGENDWELCHE Sätze für Rosenfeld, Rose, Neuhof (Marienwerder)
oder Klein Nakel?
Kann jemand an ALLES denken, das mir helfen würde zu gefallen?

Please forgive my Babelfish German translation.
Verzeihen Sie bitte meiner Deutschübersetzung Babelfish.

Thankyou
Danke

Mary BRETTELL
52 Hecklemann Street, Carina (Brisbane) 4152
AUSTRALIA

Researching:
BRETTELL, DYER, DREW, HAWES in LONDON
DREW/KNIGHT in Dorset
CUTTLER/CUTLER in Manchester & Queensland
RAVEY/REAVEY/REAVE/RAVEY/RABY, etc in Manchester & Ireland
ENDERS, MÜLLER, WISSNER in Butzbach & Gambach, Hessen, Germany
JAHL, MANZ from near Walcz (Deutsch Krone) Prussia

Re: New Subscriber - JAHL / MANZ / HOPP

Date: 2000/02/03 13:55:40
From: BEColvin <BEColvin(a)aol.com>

There are photocopied records of the Marienwerder area and I have spent hours
looking at them..order  from your family history center. It may take a while
to get them and it is a headache to read them but I did find many names of
interest to me using this method.  I ordered the films for bydgoszcz
(bromberg, culm and thorn).  I highly recommend this approach....good luck.
Beth

Re: Konitz = Chojnice

Date: 2000/02/03 16:52:50
From: Erica Margita Neumann <Erica.Neumann(a)vantcom.net>

Hi Dan.

In your researches of the Konitz church records did you also find surnames
Stuerzbecker (Stoerzbecker or Sturzbecker), Badke and Gutknecht ?

Best Regards,

Erica Neumann
erica.neumann(a)vantcom.net

Re:New Subscriber - JAHL/MANZ/HOPP

Date: 2000/02/03 18:57:31
From: WhitmerJ <WhitmerJ(a)aol.com>

Hi Mary, Beth and all,

It is important to realize the significance of the name "Marienwerder" in
your search.  In this case, the Marienwerder Beth refers to (concerning
Kreise Kulm and Thorn in West Prussia) means the "Regierungsbezirk
Marienwerder" in West Prussia.  This regierungsbezirk covered a very large
area of West Prussia and therefore Marienwerder is more of a nonspecific or
general term.   In this case, the "photocopied records of the Marienwerder
area" will do you no good, Mary, as the two counties mentioned are a long
ways from your county of concern in 1871, Kreis Deutsch Krone.

BTW: the "correct" spelling for Rosenfeld is Rosenfelde (with an extra e) but
I still doubt you will find LDS has any church records for Rosenfelde, nor
Rose, Neuhof nor Klein Nakel, all located in Kreis Deutsch Krone,
Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder, Westpreussen.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to contact a volunteer
representative for the "home district" of Kreis Deutsch Krone.   This group
is concerned with the former Deutsch Krone county and possibly may know of
other records that might be helpful for your search.    The address is:
Anschrift des Heimatkreisbearbeiters Deutsch Krone
Bornweg 1
D-49152 Bad Essen
Germany

I have not had any experience with this particular office, but it may be an
important resource because no church records are available.  They may know if
any materials concerning the former Kreis Deutsch Krone have been published.
If you write to them, it is important to enclose an ancestor sheet and any
documented family information you have or you may not receive a response.  An
offer to pay for photocopies, including IRC's, or other remuneration is also
important to consider.   These are volunteers and it's always helpful and
curteous to supply them with as much information as possible, if you expect a
detailed reply.

Regards,
Karen B. Whitmer

New Subscriber - JAHL / MANZ / HOPP

Date: 2000/02/03 20:06:37
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re
I don't speak German.  (I hope to rectify this problem very soon.)
Can anyone help me out with a problem please?
My problem is that my ancestors seem to have come to Australia from a
part
of West Prussia where no church records exist.

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

Some of your questions may be answered at

 http://www3.adnc.com/~lynnd/gfaq.html
 http://www.mmhs.org/faq/faq.htm

 Subject:  Adalbert Goertz's Regional German FAQs

 Modified September 1999

     * Baden
     * Boehmen (Bohemia)
     * Brandenburg
     * Deutschland (Germany)
     * Elsass-Lothringen
     * Maehren (Moravia)
     * Ostpreussen (East Prussia)
     * Pommern (Pomerania)
     * Posen (Poznan)
     * Preussen (Prussia)
     * Rheinhessen
     * Rheinpfalz (Palatinate)
     * Schlesien (Silesia)
     * Westfalen (Westphalia)
     * Westpreussen (West Prussia)

Consult also
   Germanic Genealogy (by Edward R.Brandt et alii); 1997, 517 pp.

        http://pages.prodigy.net/brandtfam/geneal/

      Email:  brandtfam(a)prodigy.net (Ed Brandt)

and the website

        http://www.familysearch.net/sg/Germany.html

The best websearch engines for genealogy are

        http://www.google.com
        http://www.alltheweb.com
        http://www.northernlight.com
        http://www.searchenginecolossus.com/

and I strongly urge researchers to pose questions there first
before posting questions to a list or newsgroup.

The best websearch engine for GERMAN genealogy is

        http://meta.rrzn.uni-hannover.de

If you have email only and no access to the web,
you may want to send a message to

   www4mail(a)unganisha.idrc.ca

      OR

   www4mail(a)web.bellanet.org

      OR

   www4mail(a)wm.ictp.trieste.it

with SUBJECT (anything - it will be ignored) and message:

  get http://www......................

You can expect to receive the www-document in your email box.

You may also send message HELP
to above addresses, if your request fails. This way you will find out
whether or not you made a mistake in sending your request.

Other servers like

   gomail(a)ncc.go.jp
   agora(a)dna.affrc.go.jp
   agora(a)kamakura.mss.co.jp

do the same with your message

  send http://.......

PS. This may not work for www pages with "frames,cookies,applets".
                                                             0
                        Search the web using Google!
               |*************|____________________________
               * 10 results  *oogle Search I'm feeling lucky
               * 30 results  *
               * 100 results *s moved to www.google.com
               |*************|e update your links.

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax: 425-732-9921 **--
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind)  ---
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
        http://www.adnc.com/web3/lynnd/gfaq.html
        http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
It is bad netiquette to impose M$/mac umlaut characters upon the internet
In email/newsgroups use
ae=a"=a:,oe=o"=o:,ue=u"=u:,Ae=A"=A:,Oe=O"=O:,Ue=U"=U:

Re: Konitz = Chojnice

Date: 2000/02/03 22:38:22
From: Wolfgang Naujocks <Wolfgang(a)Naujocks.de>

Am Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:54:15 EST erreichte mich folgende Nachricht:

>Dan,
>in your researches of the Konitz church records did you also come across
>people
>by the name of DOMMER ?
>If so, please let me know.
>Regards,
>Eberhardt Dommer

In the book of the citizens of Konitz you can find the following entry:

(page) 80/81
(year) 1828
Dommer, Johann, Konitz, Schneider (tailor), kath (catholic), 29 (=age)
--
Gruesse von Wolfgang Naujocks (Wolfgang(a)Naujocks.de)aus Brackenheim,
einem kleinen inmitten von Weinbergen gelegenen Staedtchen im Sueden.

Re: New Subscriber - JAHL / MANZ / HOPP

Date: 2000/02/03 23:09:55
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)aol.com>

Hallo Mary,

there is a Rosenfelde about 10km west of Deutsch Krone and Klein Nakel is
located about 10km south of same town.
Since the LDS don´t have films for these villages themselves, did you already
check Deutsch Krone itself? You may find the two little villages listed
thereunder and there are plenty of contribution and classification registers.

Are you aware of the films 491181-85, 535548and 491165 ? They give
information about land, property and contribution and classification
registers of Neuhof/Dtsch. Krone).

If you haven´t seen it yet, there is a lot of work involved.
All the best downunder,

Eberhardt Dommer

Re: Konitz = Chojnice

Date: 2000/02/03 23:58:18
From: John Hartman <geodejack(a)worldnet.att.net>

Hello-
I understand that Konitz is now Chojnice and that Schlochau is now
Czluchow-can some one tell me if the smaller villages of Pollnitz and
Huelfe(bei Konitz) stil exist and what they are called today? My
Great-grandparents. THEODORE HARTMAN(b1857) and MATILDA TESSMER left there in
1893 with other siblings.
Thank You
John

Date: 2000/02/04 00:54:06
From: Mary Brettell <mbrettell(a)bigpond.com>

Hi Albert.
I have been 'surfing' the WEB for genealogy sites for West Prussia for some
time now and will certainly visit those you suggest.
Often I need to visit these sites over and over.  As I gain new information
the information contained in the sites falls into place.
Thank you for this wealth of information.
Cheers.

Mary Brettell

Date: 2000/02/04 00:54:06
From: Mary Brettell <mbrettell(a)bigpond.com>

Hi Eberhardt.

Thanks for the information again.
I have a fairly detailed map of the area and have found a Rosenfelde south
of Deutsche Krone, just to the north of Neuhof, with Rose further to the
south.  I can see Klein Nakel to the west of Deutsch Krone on the sore of a
large body of water (Nakeler Lanke / Grosser Bothin See).
I am going off to LDS this morning to check out what is available under
Detusch Krone.
I will also check out the films you mention - sounds a little more
promising.
Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Mary B.
there is a Rosenfelde about 10km west of Deutsch Krone and Klein Nakel is
located about 10km south of same town.
Since the LDS don´t have films for these villages themselves, did you
already
check Deutsch Krone itself? You may find the two little villages listed
thereunder and there are plenty of contribution and classification
registers.

Are you aware of the films 491181-85, 535548and 491165 ? They give
information about land, property and contribution and classification
registers of Neuhof/Dtsch. Krone).

If you haven´t seen it yet, there is a lot of work involved.
All the best downunder,

Eberhardt Dommer

Re: Re:New Subscriber - JAHL/MANZ/HOPP

Date: 2000/02/04 00:54:06
From: Mary Brettell <mbrettell(a)bigpond.com>

Hi Karen.

I have managed to find all the places I mentioned in a detailed map.  Thanks
for the further explanation.  It gets very confusing with Marienwerder and
Deutsch Krone being both names of towns/cities as well as regierungsbezirks!
I have found the Rosenfelde I need (I think) just south of Deutsch Krone
with Neuhof and Rose further to the south of it.
LDS don't seem to have any films for any of these areas! DRAT!
The volunteer group sounds like a really good idea and I will certainly
write to them.
Thanks for the information.
Cheers.
Mary B.
Date: 2000/02/04 02:11:21
From: Katharina Hines <hines60(a)hotmail.com>

Hello,
I just get your E-mail.
My Grandmother was born in Adlig Pollnitz.
Her father was a Rittergutbesitzer Oscar Bandemer in Adlig Pollnitz
The deathcertificate from his father-in-law reads
lived in Adlig Pollnitz
Pollnitz was the town were the certificate were wrote.
The names I have for Pollnitz are:
Hermann BRANDT
Oscar BANDEMER
Hedwig BANDEMER
Otto SELMER
I would appreciate more information about Pollnitz

Thank you
Katharina Hines

hines60(a)hotmail.com

Date: 2000/02/04 04:29:01
From: WhitmerJ <WhitmerJ(a)aol.com>

Hi John,

I think our paths have crossed before regarding Huelfe bei Konitz.   I don't
see anything at all on my Polish map where Huelfe was once located, west of
Klein Konitz on the Mushendorfer See.  My atlas is a pretty good one -- scale
l:200 000 -- and is dated 1997.  Pollnitz is now Polnica, Poland, and appears
to be very much alive.

Best Regards,
Karen B. Whitmer

Pollnitz

Date: 2000/02/04 15:18:47
From: Dan Theus <dan.theus(a)atcofrontec.com>

Does anyone know if there was a train station or stop in Pollnitz (near
Konitz) in 1945?  My father was telling me of his family's flight from the
advancing Red Army in February 1945.  He said they left their home in
Schlagenthin, Kreis Konitz and traveled by wagon through Lichnau and Konitz,
eventually managing to board a train in what he thought might have been
Pollnitz.  He said he couldn't be sure since the Germans had removed road
signs in order to hinder the Russian advance.

Re: Pollnitz

Date: 2000/02/04 17:23:11
From: WhitmerJ <WhitmerJ(a)aol.com>

Yes, there was a railroad station just southeast and "outside" of Pollnitz.
It appears this was a secondary railway and it joined the main railroad just
southeast of the town of Schlochau, Kreis Schlochau.    This main railroad
came from near Konitz to the east.

I checked my 1997 Polish map and the present railroad by Polnica (formerly
Pollnitz) is identified as "Koleje towarowe" or "freight haulage only."   It
still joins the main railroad just southeast of the town of Czluchow
(Schlochau.)

What is interesting here is that if the ancestor followed the route
mentioned,  from Schlagenthin through Lichnau, Konitz and beyond to Pollnitz,
he would have crossed over the main railroad that ran by the town of Konitz
(Chojnice.)   Given the situation at the time, perhaps traveling the extra
distance to a secondary railroad was a necessary decision.  The railroad by
Pollnitz ran north towards Rummelsberg in Pomerania or south, to join the
main railroad at Schlochau.

Regards,
Karen B. Whitmer

PRUSSIA

Date: 2000/02/04 20:09:59
From: Brenda Schoenfeld <BrendaSchoenfeld(a)pcu.net>

Hello,

I am looking for any information on Mr. Schoenfeld, born abt 1821 in
Abschwangen, East Prussia, Prussia.  Married Mrs Schoenfeld, born abt
1823 in Abschwangen, East Prussia, Prussia.  They were married abt 1845
in Abschwangen, East Prussia, Prussia.  Also looking for anything on
Henietta Arendt, born abt 1848 in Schultitten,East Prussia,Prussia; died
abt 1916 in Domnau, East Prussia,Prussia.  She married Fredrick William
Schoenfeld(son of Mr.&Mrs. Schoenfeld), born abt 1846 in
Schultitten,East Prussia,Prussia; died in Domnau, East Prussia,Prussia..

I am aslo looking for these poeple Carl Joswig, born abt 1861 in
Muehlhausen,East Prussia,Prussia.  He married Bertha Elhert abt 1884 in
Muehlhausen,East Prussia,Prussia.  She was born abt 1863 in
Muehlhausen,East Prussia,Prussia; died abt 1892.  Parents of Carl
Elhert, born 1835 in Muehlhausen,East Prussia,Prussia.  Married Mrs.
Emily Elhert abt 1860 in Muehlhausen,East Prussia,Prussia.  She was born
abt 1837 in Muehlhausen,East Prussia,Prussia.

Any info would help me.  Thanks.
Brenda
dragonlance(a)pcu.net

Re: Pollnitz

Date: 2000/02/04 23:03:51
From: Walter Mogk <Walter.Mogk(a)t-online.de>

Dan Theus schrieb:
> Does anyone know if there was a train station or stop in Pollnitz (near
> Konitz) in 1945?  My father was telling me of his family's flight from the
> advancing Red Army in February 1945.  He said they left their home in
> Schlagenthin, Kreis Konitz and traveled by wagon through Lichnau and Konitz,
> eventually managing to board a train in what he thought might have been
> Pollnitz.  He said he couldn't be sure since the Germans had removed road
> signs in order to hinder the Russian advance.

Dear Dan,

yes, there was a train station in POLLNITZ in 1945 (railway section Rummelsburg -
Schlochau).

Greetings

Walter

Walter Mogk                                  -  Kooptiertes Mitglied des
Hoehenstrasse 11                             -  Vorstandes der Heimatkreis-
D-96049 Bamberg                              -  gemeinschaft Gerdauen e. V.
Telefon: (09 51) 60 23 48                    -
Mobiltelefon [D1]: (01 70) 6 28 57 14        -           +++
Fax [Firemail]: (0 18 05) 6 61 66 63 91 29   -
E-Mail: walter.mogk(a)t-online.de              -  HKG GERDAUEN IM INTERNET:
Internet: www.mogk.netseek.de                -  http://home.t-online.de/home/
                                             -         0951602348/gerdau.htm

Has anyone heard of places that look like this?

Date: 2000/02/05 00:46:56
From: Mary Brettell <mbrettell(a)bigpond.com>

Greetings again one and all on the list.

Yesterday I received a marriage certificate for the brother of my great,
great, grandmother.
I am having trouble deciphering the writing.
It looks like Franz MANZ came from 'Schoone', Germany and his wife, Justina
KALINOWSKI from 'Keuckendof', Germany !!
I know Rosalia MANZ was born in West Prussia (Neuhof, near Deutsch Krone)
and was married in the same place so
I imagine the place Franz was born is also West Prussia.
Does anyone on the list have any knowledge of a place name that looks like
'Schoone'?

Date: 2000/02/05 02:03:45
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re
I am looking for any information on Mr. Schoenfeld, born abt 1821 in
Abschwangen, East Prussia, Prussia.  Married Mrs Schoenfeld, born abt

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

Where have you been looking thus far?

Keukendof?

Date: 2000/02/05 05:03:15
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

 OW-PREUSSEN-L(a)GENEALOGY.NET

Subject : Has anyone heard of places that look  Reference : NONE

re:

Yesterday I received a marriage certificate for the brother of my great,
great, grandmother.
I am having trouble deciphering the writing.
It looks like Franz MANZ came from 'Schoone', Germany and his wife, Justina
KALINOWSKI from 'Keuckendof', Germany !!
I know Rosalia MANZ was born in West Prussia (Neuhof, near Deutsch Krone)
and was married in the same place so
I imagine the place Franz was born is also West Prussia.
Does anyone on the list have any knowledge of a place name that looks like
'Schoone'?

adalbert goertz responds:

Keuckendof is probably a misreading of Knackendorf, Kreis Dt.Krone.

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax: 425-732-9921 --
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind) ---
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
     Our webpage is up now: http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
                     goertza(a)fatalerr.com
If you have email only, send message to www4mail(a)web.bellanet.org
     In body write: get http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
   Searching Menno names:Goertz, Kerber, Franz, Bartel, Balzer

Carl Elbrechter - b:1817?

Date: 2000/02/05 05:55:25
From: R. C. Elbrechter <ron(a)uu.echonet.com>

Sirs:
     I am researching my family linage, which came from Prussia (Exact
whereabouts I am in search of). The only information that I have currently
is that my family is directly descendant from a Carl Charles Elbrechter who
died 6, June 1878 and is buried in Belleville, Illinois. I have been able
to determine that he arrived in the United States aboard the ship New
England which left Bremerhaven, Germany on 30, October 1853. His listed
name on the passenger list is Carl Elbrachter (probably umlauted a) -
listed as 36 years of age - occupation: Farmer - listing Prussia as the
country that he was originating from. Taking his age from the date of the
passenger list... one would assume that he was born approximately 1817.
Were there any passenger list taken in Bremerhaven (I already have the
arrival list from New Orleans). Is there any records one could use to
further narrow down where in Prussia he was from (Land ownership documents
maybe? - since he was a farmer). There could have even been a birth record
as I seem to remember somewhere that records began to be kept around 1807?
Prussia was a fairly new German province at that point in time, so I am
somewhat lost as to where to go next. Thank you in advance for any
information that anyone can lend me in this research of mine.

R. C. Elbrechter
ron(a)echonet.com

Re: PRUSSIA

Date: 2000/02/05 06:11:11
From: Brenda Schoenfeld <BrendaSchoenfeld(a)pcu.net>

I've been looking in the LDS Family History Center in Salt lake and the
internet, but nothing yet.  I am not sure where to look on the net.

Adalbert Goertz wrote:

> re
> I am looking for any information on Mr. Schoenfeld, born abt 1821 in
> Abschwangen, East Prussia, Prussia.  Married Mrs Schoenfeld, born abt
> >>
> Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>
> >>
> Where have you been looking thus far?

Re: Carl Elbrechter - b:1817?

Date: 2000/02/05 15:18:24
From: Andy Bartelt <alb1(a)coredcs.com>

Declaration of Intent, Naturalization record...?

Andy Bartelt

>      I am researching my family linage, which came from Prussia (Exact
> whereabouts I am in search of). The only information that I have currently
> is that my family is directly descendant from a Carl Charles Elbrechter
who
> died 6, June 1878 and is buried in Belleville, Illinois. I have been able
> to determine that he arrived in the United States aboard the ship New
> England which left Bremerhaven, Germany on 30, October 1853. His listed
> name on the passenger list is Carl Elbrachter (probably umlauted a) -
> listed as 36 years of age - occupation: Farmer - listing Prussia as the
> country that he was originating from. Taking his age from the date of the
> passenger list... one would assume that he was born approximately 1817.
> Were there any passenger list taken in Bremerhaven (I already have the
> arrival list from New Orleans). Is there any records one could use to
> further narrow down where in Prussia he was from (Land ownership documents
> maybe? - since he was a farmer). There could have even been a birth record
> as I seem to remember somewhere that records began to be kept around 1807?
> Prussia was a fairly new German province at that point in time, so I am
> somewhat lost as to where to go next. Thank you in advance for any
> information that anyone can lend me in this research of mine.
>
> R. C. Elbrechter
> ron(a)echonet.com

Re: Carl Elbrechter - b:1817?

Date: 2000/02/05 15:33:38
From: Andy Bartelt <alb1(a)coredcs.com>

I also might add, my greatgrandfather, who came from Schwirsen, Kreis
Cammin, listed his birthplace on his marriage certificate (a requirement in
Wisconsin), maybe that applies to Carl.
> Declaration of Intent, Naturalization record...?
>
> Andy Bartelt

Willinsky/Wilinski

Date: 2000/02/05 18:07:01
From: Carol Fricke <jsfly(a)alltel.net>

Hello Listers.
I just received another Death Cert. today.

Albert Willinsky/ Willinski/Wilinski
Born in Germany.  His son was Julius
Willinsky/Willinski/Wilinski also born in Germany
on 1/17/1846 in or near Grossdeshen, Westpreussen.
or Grossterchendorf, or Teschendorf   all in
Westpreussen.  He married Marie Rhinehard Mandot
of Ellernitz., Westpreussen. These places appear
to be south West of Danzig.

Is there anyplace suggested, I could look for a
birth certificate or death certificate for Albert
( my gr gr grandfather.)
Also, If anyone has even heard of these names in
the remotest way contact me please.
Thank you
Carol  jsfly(a)alltel.net

Re: Carl Elbrechter - b:1817?

Date: 2000/02/06 01:25:19
From: Sheila A Kapella <seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net>

Possibly a naturalization record which should be filed in the county
where he settled (though not always) as well records of the church he
attended (in Belleville?).  Sheila S-K

Re: Carl Elbrechter - b:1817?

Date: 2000/02/06 01:26:48
From: Sheila A Kapella <seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net>

I forgot to mention also probate records at the courthouse in whatever
county he lived in.  These are often good sources of genealogical
info.  In short, you should look at all records available on a county
level.  Sheila S-K

Schoon?

Date: 2000/02/07 00:55:52
From: Schwandt <schwandt(a)escape.ca>

Hi Mary Brettell.  I've come across three places that may be of interest to
you:

1.   'Schoensee', a protestant church listed in 1914 in diocese Briesen.
This is a little far away from your area I suspect.
2.   'Schoenfeld', ditto, listed in diocese Flatow.  This is nearer your
area.
3.   'Schoenlanke', a town of medium size about 30 km S of Deutsh Krone.
One of my  maps shows this as just south of the boundary with the province
of Posen.

My own area of research is around my family name, in the area of Tutz and
Marzdorf.  There are LDS records for this area but they are relatively
sparse.

Good luck, good wishes.

John Schwandt:  schwandt(a)escape.ca
             Winnipeg      Manitoba      Canada

Re: Has anyone heard of places that look like this?

Date: 2000/02/07 01:07:40
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/ravenstein/
Try the gazetteer on the above site for the Ravenstein Atlas. You're looking
for places that will be on either map IIIa or VI. If there's no Schoon, try
Schoen or Scheune, or anything else Sch**n.

Mary Popovich

Re: Carl Elbrechter - b:1817?

Date: 2000/02/07 01:17:40
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

The early Bremen ship lists were destroyed by the shipping company because
they lacked storage space. The later records were destroyed in the bombing
during WWII.

As substitutes try getting his naturalization declaration of intention and
petition (no guarantees they'll be more specific, but worth a try). Also, if
he might have attended a Lutheran church in Illinois, the parish register
might include a clue as to his origins.

The 1772-1773 land index of West Prussia is available online. Check for your
surname there. http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/land/wprussia/

Reuben Drefs, who transcribed the above index, is transcribing an index to
South Prussian [Posen]  land index of 1793-1794. If you wish to contribute
funds to support this effort, send them to:

Reuben Drefs
2053 Woonsocket
Toledo, OH 43615
Tele.:419 539-9378

Mary Popovich

Re: Konitz = Chojnice

Date: 2000/02/07 12:19:46
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)aol.com>

Herr Naujocks,
vielen Dank für die Antwort und Information, die mir schon bekannt war.
Dieser Schneider wohnt in der Stadt selber und ist katholisch, ich suche
jedoch mehr nach evangelischen Namensträgern aus der Landgemeinde Konitz,
weil ich eine mögliche Verbindung mit der Familie meiner Vorfahren (aus dem
Kreise Schwetz) untersuche.
Mein toter Punkt ist Christoph Dommer (geb. ca. 1740) aus Poledno/Kossowo
(Kreis Schwetz), verh. 1770 mit Catharina Steinkrus.
Wenn Ihnen dieser Herr einmal begegnet, lassen Sie mich das bitte wissen.
Mit Gruss,
Eberhardt Dommer

FRICKE/BRUEGGE

Date: 2000/02/07 16:32:57
From: Carol Fricke <jsfly(a)alltel.net>

 Hi listers,
I am searching for Heinrich Fricke and his wife
Anna Bruegge who emigrated from the German/Prussia
area around 1876-1879. They came to the US.  Is
anyone else researching these names or even heard
of them in Europe.
Thanks
Carol  <jsfly(a)alltel,net>    AOL IM < jsflygull6>
ICQ  < 12472562>

GROSS

Date: 2000/02/07 16:40:33
From: Denise Lynch <DLynch(a)itsusnow.com>

Hi

I am looking for information on my g-g-grandfather and grandmother who came over from Preussen, Vandenburg, Germany.  They arrived in Louisianna and then made Michigan their home.  Does anyone know how to obtain records or how I would go about finding any information?  I have tried to find the location on a map and am having no luck...any ideas?

Thanks,
Denise

Searching...GROSS,GUTZEIT,MIELKE,FEIRABEND

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/07 20:34:45
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

Regarding Vandenburg:

Wieczbork, Bydgoszcz, Poland used to be Vandsburg, Kr. Flatow, Germany.

Don't know if this is possibly the place you're looking for.

Mary Popovich

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/07 22:18:11
From: Denise Lynch <DLynch(a)itsusnow.com>

Mary,
Forgive me, but I dont know much about Germany the old and the new....Is this one place or Wieczbork was Vandsburg..Bydgoszcz - Kr. Flatow..Poland - Germany?  I have tried to find Preussen, Vandenburg on a map but I dont know what I am looking for.  Is Preussen the city and Vandenburg the town?
Please help me out again if you can
Thanks much!
Denise Lynch

>>> busia(a)mindspring.com 02/07/00 02:28PM >>>

Date: 2000/02/07 22:59:42
From: John Hartman <geodejack(a)worldnet.att.net>

Gentlemen-
Please find the Computer translation of your correspondence. Sehr interressant!

Jack

Edommer(a)aol.com wrote:

> Herr Naujocks,
> vielen Dank für die Antwort und Information, die mir schon bekannt war.
> Dieser Schneider wohnt in der Stadt selber und ist katholisch, ich suche
> jedoch mehr nach evangelischen Namensträgern aus der Landgemeinde Konitz,
> weil ich eine mögliche Verbindung mit der Familie meiner Vorfahren (aus dem
> Kreise Schwetz) untersuche.
> Mein toter Punkt ist Christoph Dommer (geb. ca. 1740) aus Poledno/Kossowo
> (Kreis Schwetz), verh. 1770 mit Catharina Steinkrus.
> Wenn Ihnen dieser Herr einmal begegnet, lassen Sie mich das bitte wissen.
> Mit Gruss,
> Eberhardt Dommer

Re: Konitz = Chojnice

Date: 2000/02/07 23:00:51
From: John Hartman <geodejack(a)worldnet.att.net>

nglish:

    Mr. Naujocks, thank you for the response and the information, which already
admit to
    me were. This cutter lives in the city and is catholic, I looks up however
more for
    Evangelist name carriers from the land municipality Konitz, because I
examine a
    possible connection with the family of my ancestors (from sets the
Schwetz). My dead
    point is Christoph Dommer (geb. approx. 1740) from Poledno/Kossowo (set
Schwetz),
    verh. 1770 with Catharina Steinkrus. If this gentleman meets you, let me
please know.
    With greeting,

         To translate, type plain text or the address (URL) of a Web page here:

Edommer(a)aol.com wrote:

> Herr Naujocks,
> vielen Dank für die Antwort und Information, die mir schon bekannt war.
> Dieser Schneider wohnt in der Stadt selber und ist katholisch, ich suche
> jedoch mehr nach evangelischen Namensträgern aus der Landgemeinde Konitz,
> weil ich eine mögliche Verbindung mit der Familie meiner Vorfahren (aus dem
> Kreise Schwetz) untersuche.
> Mein toter Punkt ist Christoph Dommer (geb. ca. 1740) aus Poledno/Kossowo
> (Kreis Schwetz), verh. 1770 mit Catharina Steinkrus.
> Wenn Ihnen dieser Herr einmal begegnet, lassen Sie mich das bitte wissen.
> Mit Gruss,
> Eberhardt Dommer

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/08 07:12:00
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

Preussen the the German name for Prussia.

Vandenburg would be the town name. I have not checked Meyers Lexikon for
this town (I don't have access to it at home). There may have been a small
village with that name listed in Meyers. If there was, it would have a new
name today, as town names ending with "burg" that became part of Poland had
their names changed. Some towns that ended with burg now end with bork,
e.g., Marienburg is now Malbork and Vandsburg is now Wieczbork.

Bydgoszcz was the Polish province that Wieczbork is in. Poland just went
through some redistricting last year and there is no longer a province
called Bydgoszcz, but the LDS catalog and most researchers continue to use
that name.

Kreis Flatow - Kreis is the German equivalent of our county. So Vandsburg
was in the county of Flatow. Flatow is now called Zlotow.

If you were to look these places up on the LDS catalog, they would be
cross-referenced as follows:

Poland, Bydgoszcz, Wieczbork (country, province, town)

Germany, Preussen, West Preussen, Vandsburg (Flatow) (empire, country,
province town (county))

You might ask Listers specifically if someone can do a lookup for you of the
town Vandenburg in Meyers. If someone can do that for you and they don't
find a Vandenburg, then my suggestion of Vandsburg is a definite
possibility.

Hope this helps.

Mary Popovich

Ellis Isle Wall of Honor

Date: 2000/02/08 09:51:01
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

A fellow lister posted this site to the Pommern List and I'm sharing it with
you. Although most of the places of origin are only a country (Germany,
Poland, etc.), a few give more precise information. This information must of
course be taken with a grain of salt, as it's second hand.

http://www.wallofhonor.com/search_f.asp

Mary Popovich

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/08 15:01:18
From: Denise Lynch <DLynch(a)itsusnow.com>

Hello!

Can anyone help me in looking up the town Vandenburg in Meyers? I am not at all familiar with Germany - past or present but this is supposedly where my ancestors came from.  If it is not there, then it could be called Vandsburg - that is what Mary possibly suggests. Please let me know if anyone has access to this information - it would be greatly appreciated!!

Denise Lynch

>>> busia(a)mindspring.com 02/08/00 01:05AM >>>
[...]

translation of "Gnadenau?"

Date: 2000/02/08 19:15:21
From: John W. Wall <john(a)johnwall.com>

Can anyone give me an English translation of "Gnadenau?"

John W. Wall
john(a)johnwall.com
eFax (603) 687-0482
home page: http://www.johnwall.com
genealogy page: http://www.johnwall.com/family/tree.htm

Re: translation of "Gnadenau?"

Date: 2000/02/08 20:26:22
From: Jrgen Hedman <hedman.jorgen(a)telia.com>

Hi John. Gnadenau could be translated as the Grace-/mercy- creek. The
name was probably brought with them by Dutch-German Mennonites (from
Holland or the boarder area between Germany and France)as they moved  in
the 17th century to Prussia and further then in the 18th and 19th
century to Russia. A mennonite colony in Kansas founded by Mennonites
from Russia carries this name as fare as I know. Have you checked this
site out? http://members.aol.com/jktsn/mennohis.htm
Yours, Jörgen Hedman Stockholm Sweden

Date: 2000/02/08 20:39:28
From: Katharina Hines <hines60(a)hotmail.com>

Hi,
Gnade- blessing, grace, mercy,

Katharina

Date: 2000/02/08 20:53:54
From: Klaus Hinz <hinz-kr(a)talknet.de>

Please spell: Gnade(n) - au
"Au or Aue" is a little, little smal river, broock, stream. The "Aue",
 Gnade = mercy

Klaus

Ahnenforschung STUDIER / Vorstellung

Date: 2000/02/08 21:00:21
From: K.H. Studier <k.studier(a)gmx.de>

Liebe Mitforscher,

zunächst möchte ich mich kurz vorstellen.

Mein Name ist Karl-Hans Studier. Ich bin 48 Jahre alt. Mit meiner Ehefrau
und meinen beiden Kindern lebe ich in Aachen.

Mit der Erforschung meiner Familie "STUDIER" habe ich vor etwa einem halben
Jahr begonnen. Anhand von Kirchenbüchern gelang es mir, meine
Vorfahren -direkte Linie- bis in das Jahr 1723 festzustellen.

Studier, Martin
* 23.04.1723 in Alt Käbelich (Mecklenburg)

oo 1754 Loitz / Teschendorf

Anna Elisabeth Meyen
weiteres nicht bekannt

Martin Studier war 1754 Musquetier unter dem Prinzen Carl Ludwig Friedrich
von Mecklenburg Compagnie in hannoverschen Diensten.
Er lebte mit seiner Familie in Loitz / Teschendorf  (Mecklenburg).
Sein Vater war vermutlich der F. ( Friedrich  ? ) Studier, Pachtschäfer in
Alt Käbelich.

Die Familie "STUDIER" stammt nach meinem bisherigen Erkenntnissen aus
Mecklenburg, Raum Neustrelitz.
In den nachfolgend aufgeführten Orten waren meine "STUDIER" sesshaft:

Alt Käbelich, Hinrichshagen, Loitz, Regberg, Schönbeck, Teschendorf

Ich befürchte, schon den "toten Punkt" erreicht zu haben.
Wer kann mir bei der weiteren Erforschung helfen?
Ich stelle auch gerne meine Forschungsergebnisse zur Verfügung.

Seit etwa einem Monat befasse ich mich auch mit der Erforschung folgender
Familien aus Aachen:

HERREN            FALCK            HELLEBRANDT

Viele Grüße aus der alten Kaiserstadt Aachen

Karl-Hans
K.studier(a)gmx.de

translation of "Gnadenau?"

Date: 2000/02/08 23:02:48
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re
Can anyone give me an English translation of "Gnadenau?"

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

Grace meadow

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax: 425-732-9921 --
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind) ---
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
     Our webpage is up now: http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
                     goertza(a)fatalerr.com
If you have email only, send message to www4mail(a)web.bellanet.org
     In body write: get http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
   Searching Menno names:Goertz, Kerber, Franz, Bartel, Balzer

"Gnadenau" in Kansas

Date: 2000/02/08 23:14:24
From: John W. Wall <john(a)johnwall.com>

Thank you for all of the replies.

It's the colony in Kansas that I am interested in.  My g-grandparents
GIESWEIN and PINNECKER left Gnadenfeld and Moor, Russia in 1886 and settled
in Marion Co., KS.  That is the same county where Gnadenu is (or was?)
located.

I hoping to find where I could check on any records with the Kansas colony.

Date: 2000/02/09 00:15:05
From: DRWGen <DRWGen(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 2/8/00 12:17:34 PM, john(a)johnwall.com writes:
> English translation of "Gnadenau?"

John,

A small book exists, the title of which should answer your question.  The
town once existed very near present day Hillsboro, KS.   The book??  Oh yes:

Title:      Grace Meadow: the story of Gnadenau and its first elder, Marion
County, Kansas
Stmnt.Resp.:    by David V. Wiebe
Authors:    Wiebe, David V., 1890-1965 (Main Author)

I've never seen the book but would like to, as my wife has ancestors from
1874, in Gnadenau.

DW in MN

Re: translation of "Gnadenau?"

Date: 2000/02/09 01:15:22
From: John W. Wall <john(a)johnwall.com>

I will look for the book and let you know if I am successful.  Thank you for
the information.

John W. Wall
john(a)johnwall.com
eFax (603) 687-0482
home page: http://www.johnwall.com
genealogy page: http://www.johnwall.com/family/tree.htm

>In a message dated 2/8/00 12:17:34 PM, john(a)johnwall.com writes:
>> English translation of "Gnadenau?"
>
>John,
>
>A small book exists, the title of which should answer your question.  The
>town once existed very near present day Hillsboro, KS.   The book??  Oh
yes:

>Title:      Grace Meadow: the story of Gnadenau and its first elder, Marion
>County, Kansas
>Stmnt.Resp.:    by David V. Wiebe
>Authors:    Wiebe, David V., 1890-1965 (Main Author)
>
>I've never seen the book but would like to, as my wife has ancestors from
>1874, in Gnadenau.
>
>DW in MN

Re: translation of "Gnadenau?"

Date: 2000/02/09 03:19:15
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re:
Please spell: Gnade(n) - au
"Au or Aue" is a little, little smal river, broock, stream. The "Aue",

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

In West Prussia Au is a meadow where a creek flows thru.
Gnadenau = Grace Meadow

Re: Has anyone heard of places that look like this?

Date: 2000/02/09 16:42:57
From: FLYMAL <FLYMAL(a)aol.com>

In a message dated 02/06/2000 7:11:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
busia(a)mindspring.com writes:

> http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/ravenstein/
Thanks Mary.  That is a very good map with great detail.  Thanks for the link.

Brett Molzahn

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/10 02:48:01
From: Sheila A Kapella <seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net>

Are you sure it isn't Vandsburg?  There are microfilmed records for
that town.  Sheila S-K

Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/10 04:41:51
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

Can anyone on the list tell me where Schnidemiihl is located? I was told that
that is where my great grandmother was born. She was Johanna Karoline
Wilhelmine Knittel.

Frances
Danleyf(a)aol.com
Researching surnames BUDIG, ARENDT, and KNITTEL

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/10 06:13:18
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

Christian,
    Thank you so much for the information. Does anyone on the list do any
kind of look ups?

Regards,
Frances

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/10 06:51:57
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

Schneidemuehl is now called Pila, Poland. You should have no trouble finding
it on any atlas-type map of Poland, including the www.mapquest.com site. You
can also find it on the map of Posen at the FEEFHS Map Room:
http://www.feefhs.org/maps/indexmap.html

Mary Popovich

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/10 15:06:19
From: Denise Lynch <DLynch(a)itsusnow.com>

Sheila,
It very well could be.  It sounds like there is no Vandenburg so somewhere along the line it may have been translated wrong.  Do you have any ideas how I would locate this place?
Thanks
Denise

>>> seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net 02/09/00 08:53PM >>>

Date: 2000/02/10 15:16:41
From: Muriel Glenn <murielglennwebt(a)webtv.net>

Hi Frances, Don't have a clue where it is, but was curious as to what
ARENDTS you were researching.  I have some in my family. They were from
the Penzlin,  Germany area. Have you tried the maps.    Muriel Glenn

Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/10 17:33:03
From: sterneb43 <sterneb43(a)planet-interkom.de>

Mein Großvater  Gustav Schnigge  ist am 14.07.1927 in Chocicza Kreis Jarozin
gestorben. Wo liegt dieser Ort?  Gibt es ein Sterbeverzeichnis für diesen
Ort aus der Zeit 1927?
Kann mir jemand weiterhelfen?

Re: Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/10 17:38:44
From: John Mansfield <johnmans(a)enter.net>

Bobbie,

This is how a Prussian Duke demands a blow job from a peasant lass. Hard to
argue with!!

John (The)
Date: 2000/02/10 19:14:47
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

Chocicza is about 40 km southeast of the city of Poznan. I do not know
whether it had its own parish, or if not, what parish it belonged to. Also,
were your family Catholic or Evangelical?

For further help on researching Chocicza, you should be on the Posen list:

POSEN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the former
Prussian province of Posen/Poznan and its adjoining areas (especially
Silesia), Germany. You must be a subscriber to post to the list. To
subscribe send the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) as the only text in
the body of a message to posen-l-request(a)rootsweb.com (mail mode) or
posen-d-request(a)rootsweb.com (digest mode).

Mary Popovich

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/10 19:17:27
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

The FEEFHS Map room has a map of Posen which shows Vandsburg. Vandsburg is
right at the very top of this map due east of Flatow.
http://www.feefhs.org/maps/indexmap.html

Mary Popovich

Town names Kumerbries and Stadler

Date: 2000/02/10 19:48:59
From: SBoevinglo <SBoevinglo(a)aol.com>

Hi,  I am looking for information on the towns of Kumerbries and Stadler.
They are mentioned on the birth/baptism record of my husband's great
grandfather, Joseph Boevingloh.  Joseph was born in Neuenkirchen near
Paderborn, but I can't find the other two towns on any of my maps.  All help
is greatly appreciated.
Sharlene

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/10 20:55:15
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

Hi Muriel, What maps are you referring to? I looked at the ones of Poland but
really didn't understand what I was looking at. The ARENDTs that I am
researching I beleive were from Sophien, Berlin Stadt, but then I'm not sure
of that either. I do know that Auguste Caroline ARENDT or it may have been
Auguste Caroline Wilhelmine ARENDT married Friedrich Wilhelm BUDIG. She had a
sister named Louise. I am really lost in this whole thing. I am new to
genealogy and don't have alot to go on. In the obituary here in the US it
just said they were born near Berlin Germany. I really need help.

Frances

Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/10 23:04:21
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

betr
Mein Gro-vater  Gustav Schnigge  ist am 14.07.1927 in Chocicza Kreis
Jarozin
gestorben. Wo liegt dieser Ort?  Gibt es ein Sterbeverzeichnis fnr
diesen

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

Nicht in Ost- oder Westpreussen

Re: Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/10 23:04:26
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re
This is how a Prussian Duke demands a blow job from a peasant lass.
Hard to
argue with!!

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

There are no Prussian dukes.

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/11 00:58:47
From: John Hartman <geodejack(a)worldnet.att.net>

Hi-
Today its in Poland-Try just west of Bydgocz(in north west)and its now called
PILA(pee-wah)
good luck
John

Danleyf(a)aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone on the list tell me where Schnidemiihl is located? I was told that
> that is where my great grandmother was born. She was Johanna Karoline
> Wilhelmine Knittel.
>
> Frances
> Danleyf(a)aol.com
> Researching surnames BUDIG, ARENDT, and KNITTEL

Das Schlochauer Land

Date: 2000/02/11 14:17:24
From: Brian Bauman <brewcanoe(a)attglobal.net>

Hello List,

  I am looking for a book, "Das Schlochauer Land"  by Johannes Gurtz and
Helmut Becker.  It's about 20 years old and probably out of print, as I
can't find it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.  It's a "coffee table" book,
with pictures of the area around Schlochau.  Don't know the publisher or
ISBN.

  Can anyone point me to a book dealer who might have a copy of this book?

Thanks,
Brian Bauman in North Carolina
brewcanoe(a)attglobal.net

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/11 21:29:15
From: Muriel Glenn <murielglennwebt(a)webtv.net>

Hi Frances, Sounds like your Arendts are from the same area as mine.  I
looked for the city or town but couldn't find it. I looked on the
mapquest site but the maps that I came up with are in German. There is
another to look at and I have to check out the address.  Will look up
and see what  can find.
My Arendts/Ahrends/Arens and various spellings came from the Berlin area
also.  Actually  some of them came from Penzlin, Waren  area northwest
of Berlin.
There are some families in Wisconsin that I have been in contact with
and I will look up the address and send it to you also.
Do you have dates for these people that you mentioned?  Also have you
tried the LDS site?
It seems as tho the people in Wi. sent information and mentioned a
Louise.  Will check my papers to see what I can come up with.  Will talk
to you later.  Will also get out my family papers so I can send the
names and dates to see if they might be related.  Just have great great
grandparents listed in church records.  Later, Muriel

Das Schlochauer Land

Date: 2000/02/11 23:03:38
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re

try http://www.zvab.de

Date: 2000/02/12 02:56:07
From: Sheila A Kapella <seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net>

Denice:  Vandsburg is now Wiecbork, Poland and is about 30 - 40? miles
NW of Bydgoszcz which used to be Bromberg.  Vandsburg is also almost
directly N of Naklo nad Notecia.  The LDS has Vandsburg records on
film.  If you go to CyndisList.com (a massive genealogy site if you
are not already familiar with it), I am sure there are some map links
available which will help you pinpoint the town. Hope this helps.
Sheila S-K

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/12 03:00:53
From: Sheila A Kapella <seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net>

Sophien is probably the name of the church.  Sheila S-K

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/12 19:58:21
From: Muriel Glenn <murielglennwebt(a)webtv.net>

Hi Fran, Do you have any dates at all?  I
went into the LDS last night and found a Louise Pauline Arendt,
Christening date: 26 Dec. 1823
Sophien, Berlin Stadt, Brandenburg, Preussin (Prussia)
Father: Johann Jacob Arendt

Mother: Sophie Schmidt

I looked up in my German dictionary as to the meaning of Stadt.  Means
city or town. Don't know if that helps or not   Also I saw a message on
the net from someone who thought Sophien was the name of a church .
Could it be one that was in Berlin?.   Still will get other info out and
check it out.   Later, Muriel .

Re: Schnidemiihl

Date: 2000/02/12 21:59:05
From: Muriel Glenn <murielglennwebt(a)webtv.net>

Hi Fran. I just went thru my papers and can't find any trace of who you
are looking for.  Auguste Ahrendt or her sister Louise.  Found a Louis
but she was not an Ahrendt.
If the Louise I sent you a few minutes ago were to be Augustes' sister
it wouild help..  I will keep you in mind and if I come up with anything
I will let you know.  Will also contact the people in Wisconsin and see
if they could help.  I can give you some of their addresses now and you
could also try them.

1: rlaaea(a)peaknet.net (rlaaea)  don't know if he was from WI.

2:fsbjg(a)aurora.alaska.edu (Beverly J Gurtler)

3:ljchris2rconnect.com (julia christopherson)

4:chucklesh(a)erols.com (Chuck Holderness)

That will give you some to contact.  Hope they can be of some help.
Later,Muriel

ARENDTs

Date: 2000/02/13 00:59:36
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

Muriel,

I am really sorry if I gave you a wrong name. I am not even sure at this
point if Augusta had a sister. Augusta Arendt who married Friedrich August
BUDIG had a son Friedrich Wilhelm"William"BUDIG who married Johanna Knittel.
She had a sister Loise Knittel that married a FISHER.

The only dates I have were given to me by a woman in Nebraska, they are that
Augusta Arendt was born in 1826 near Berlin, Germany and died in 1894 in
Plattsmouth, Nebreska.

I visited the Nebraska website and found the record for Augusta BUDIG BUCHAL,
so I am assuming she must have remarried.

According to the IGI at the LDS, she and my gr.gr.grandfather had a son born
before they were married. I haven't been able to find out anything except
their childrens names and christening dates and someone told me that
sometimes they took more than one child to be christened at the same time. So
I may have found Augustas christening date and don't know it.

Have I made any sense?

Thanks for the addresses. How are the ARENDTs tied in to your family?

Gotta go now. Talk to you later.

Frances

Auswander via Hamburg

Date: 2000/02/13 20:46:01
From: Klaus Hinz <hinz-kr(a)talknet.de>

Hallo Familienforscher,
unter www.hamburg.de ist angekündigt worden die Passagierlisten der
Auswanderer via Hamburg darzustellen. Die Liste soll aber nicht vor April 00
fertig sein... Schaut doch bei Interesse mal herein, darüber hinaus können
Adressen von Behörden (Meldeämter?) gefunden werden.

Klaus

hinz-kr(a)talknet.de

Re: Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/14 00:47:34
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)aol.com>

Liebe Teilnehmer der OW-Preussen-Liste,

In einer eMail vom 10.02.00 habe ich folgendes gelesen und bin entsetzt. Es
handelt sich um eine ganz unerträgliche Antwort auf die Anfrage eines
Teilnehmers der Liste:

----Antwort auf die Anfrage:-----

Datum:  10.02.00 17:39:20 MEZ
From:   johnmans(a)enter.net (John Mansfield)
Sender: owner-ow-preussen-l(a)genealogy.net
To: ow-preussen-l(a)genealogy.net

<< Bobbie,
  This is how a Prussian Duke demands a blow job from a peasant lass. Hard to
 argue with!!

 John (The)
----------------------------------
Liebe Teilnehmer der OW-Preussen-Liste,
das kann doch wohl nicht wahr sein ! Mit solchen Leuten haben wir es zu tun ?
Ich protestiere entschieden und fordere, dass ein derartiges Element aus
dieser Liste entfernt wird.
Der Schreiber dieser Zeilen deklassiert sich durch unerträgliche Arroganz und
seine miesen Einlassungen. Und Adalbert Goertz antwortet darauf nur, dass es
keine preussischen "dukes" gegeben habe. Ist das alles, Herr Goertz ? Wenn
mehr an moralischer Qualität nicht zu erwarten ist in dieser Liste, dann ist
sie keinen Schuss Pulver wert.
Aber ich will das nicht glauben, ich denke, dass es mehr Teilnehmer dieser
Liste gibt,  die sich diese Gossensprache und herabsetzende Behandlung nicht
gefallen lassen. Leider hat es bis jetzt keinen Widerspruch aus Amerika
gegeben, obwohl der Schreiber ja offensichtlich die englische Sprache benutzt
hat. Warum?
Soll das etwa als ein angelsächsischer Witz abgetan werden ? Ich hoffe nicht,
und ich denke, die gutgesinnten Kräfte sollten endlich Stellung
beziehen....die schweigende Mehrheit muss sich zu Wort melden.
Eberhardt Dommer

Translation:

Dear members of OW-Preussen-List,
I just don´t believe it´s true ! Do we have to deal with such people in this
list? I resolutely protest and I do request that such an element is being
removed from this list.
The writer declassifies himself by intolerable arrogance and his poor and
ugly choice of wording. And Adalbert Goertz just responds, that there were no
Prussian dukes.
Is that all, Mr. Goertz? If only so little moral quality can be expected,
then this list is worth nothing ! But I can´t believe that, I trust that
there are more participants of this list who do not accept such language of
the gutter and insults to a member of this list. Unfortunately there was no
protest yet from the American side, although the writer did obviously use the
English language. Why? Is that to be layed aside as a Western joke ? I hope
not, and I think the well minded forces should show flag finally....silent
majority raise your voice.

Eberhardt Dommer

Fw: Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/14 01:20:25
From: Andrew & Vicki Genrich <genrich(a)bigpond.net.au>

Dear fellow Listmembers

I wholeheartedly agree with Eberhardt Dommer in his OUTRAGE at the
inappropriate use of this list for this smutty garbage.

Let's rid ourselves of these, dare I even call them, people; and continue
with the usual good quality question and answer threads for which the list
is designed.  Fortunately we only have to live with these 'types' very
infrequently....it is far worse for them...they have live with themselves 24
hours a day.

I haven't yet seen any apology to the list by the perpetrators.

In summary
1.    Express LOUDLY, your own disgust.
2.    Get over it.
3.    Get on with it.

Sincerely

Andrew Genrich
Brisbane Australia

Date: 2000/02/14 11:09:26
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

betr
Is that all, Mr. Goertz? If only so little moral quality can be
expected,
then this list is worth nothing ! But I can|t believe that, I trust
that
there are more participants of this list who do not accept such
language of

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

Nun machen Sie sich man nicht in die Hosen.

Re: GROSS

Date: 2000/02/14 14:38:47
From: Denise Lynch <DLynch(a)itsusnow.com>

Sheila,
Thank you so much!!  This is a very big help for me.  Now, I have some starting point to reference where my ancestors came from. I hope I can get further with this information.
Thanks again,
Denise

>>> seemannkapella(a)worldnet.att.net 02/11/00 09:01PM >>>

Date: 2000/02/14 14:51:08
From: John Mansfield <johnmans(a)enter.net>

Folks,

I am the one who wrote the off color comment. It was intended to be a
private message to one friend. It was by mistake that I apparently used
"Reply" instead of "Forward". I did not intend to send it to the list.

Sorry.

I did send a private apology to me Goertz, who I assume is the list owner,
one I realized my mistake.

John Mansfield
> I wholeheartedly agree with Eberhardt Dommer in his OUTRAGE at the
> inappropriate use of this list for this smutty garbage.
>
> Let's rid ourselves of these, dare I even call them, people; and continue
> with the usual good quality question and answer threads for which the list
> is designed.  Fortunately we only have to live with these 'types' very
> infrequently....it is far worse for them...they have live with themselves
24
> hours a day.
>
> I haven't yet seen any apology to the list by the perpetrators.
>
> In summary
> 1.    Express LOUDLY, your own disgust.
> 2.    Get over it.
> 3.    Get on with it.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Andrew Genrich
> Brisbane Australia

Off-color Comment

Date: 2000/02/14 17:33:54
From: Bettivys <Bettivys(a)aol.com>

Dear List,

Although I'm very glad to see the apology, I must admit that I was confused.
On vacation and driving across the U.S., we had our laptop.  I was reading
messages but not responding.  However, I never figured out which message had
precipitated the nasty one.  At any rate, I learned while my four sons were
growing up that bad behavior sometimes is best ignored -- if it seems to be
for the effect of getting attention.  That might explain the lack of response
of others.

Now it's all over.  Let's get on with finding our ancestors!

Sally in Iowa

Bydgoszcz

Date: 2000/02/14 18:00:46
From: Bettivys <Bettivys(a)aol.com>

Hello again,

My husband, son, and I made a "pilgrimage" to the former East and West
Prussia (as well as Berlin and Bohemia -- now the Czech Republic) last fall.
The purpose was only to visit places where my ancestors had lived, not to
conduct any research.  We rented a car in Frankfurt, and drove from there.

Bydgoszcz (almost impossible to pronounce!) was our least favorite place in
Poland.  I have seen the name of this city in several messages on this list
since then, and each time I have wanted to comment.   We merely needed to
stay overnight there because it was getting dark as we approached the city.
Luckily, we did find a very plain "MOTEL" in which to sleep.  However, as we
were registering, a man came in from outside and argued with the woman who
was copying information from our passports.  She spoke neither English nor
German, and the argument was in Polish.  In her response to him, she used the
word "Amerykanski" several times.  We realized that this man had seen the big
"D" for Deutschland on our rental car, and he must have been telling the
woman that Germans shouldn't be allowed to stay there.  Bydgoszcz is an
industrial city, very "blue-collar" in feeling, and very few tourists
probably stop there.  After our unpleasant experience, we also could find no
restaurant (except possibly a bar) and finally ate dinner in a "Pizza Hut" at
a mall. Yes, Bydgoszcz was definitely the low point of our adventure!

This was our only unhappy experience, however.  Other people seemed friendly
enough.  A few people, such as a retired professor in Torun (formerly Thorn),
spoke to us in German.  He told us that his family had been both German and
Polish.  It seems that my ancestors also were both, since my
g-g-grandmother's name was Maruszewska.  Therefore, I understand the bad
feelings.  Oh, if only Hitler had never existed!!  (Then our research would
be totally of a different natuare, and maybe I could find 3rd and 4th cousins
in Europe!)

Sally in Iowa, USA

Re: Fw: Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/14 19:31:02
From: Wolfgang Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

On 14 Feb 00, at 10:17, Andrew & Vicki Genrich wrote:

> Dear fellow Listmembers
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with Eberhardt Dommer in his OUTRAGE at the
> inappropriate use of this list for this smutty garbage.

Ab und zu kommt mal so etwas in die Liste. Ich denke nicht das
es von einem subscriber der sich für Familienforschung interessiert
geschrieben wurde. Ein moment weg vom keyboard und schon ist
ein Satz geschrieben und verschickt.

Wie scho oft gesagt worden ist - das beste ist diese Art Worte
einfach zu übersehen. Wenn man sich hier noch gross darüber
aufregt hat der Schreiben ja seinen Zweck erreicht.

In short, ignore these crazies who can only write nonsense instead
of something intelligent.

Fred

normally in Naples or on the road in the Rumplewagen
but presently in Beverly, NJ
609-386-6846
fred(a)compu.com

Re: Chocicza Kreis Jarozin

Date: 2000/02/14 20:04:25
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

re
I did send a private apology to me Goertz, who I assume is the list
owner,
one I realized my mistake.

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

No, I am not the listowner. Now, that being cleared, let us calm down
and get back to genealogy and more interesting persuits.

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax: 425-732-9921 --
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind) ---
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
     Our webpage is up now: http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
                     goertza(a)fatalerr.com
If you have email only, send message to www4mail(a)web.bellanet.org
     In body write: get http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
   Searching Menno names:Goertz, Kerber, Franz, Bartel, Balzer

Re: ARENDTs

Date: 2000/02/14 21:14:11
From: Muriel Glenn <murielglennwebt(a)webtv.net>

Hi Fran, Here's how the Ahrend/Arendts are related to me:Christian
ARENDT and Maria  Geb. Lukow married.  date??
They had two daughters:  1:. Fredericke born 3-6-1846; 2: Maria Dor.
Joh. born 24-6-1844.

Fredericke married Johann Fr. Chr. KRASE , born 31-7-1849.
Children : Frederice Joh. Maria born 9-3-1875
                 Joh. Fredr. Albert born 29-12-1877
                  Wilh.. Henr. Christ. born 2-3-1890
                  Wilh.Adolph Christ  born 11-10-83
Frederice born in Meck. Schwerin, Germany.
She was my grandmother.  Boys all born in Town of Porter, Niagara Co.,
New York.

Maria Dor. Joh. married  Christian Friedr. Theodor. Strablow born
3-12-1840
Children:Carl Joh. Freder. born 11-7-1865
               Johann born 26-8-68
                Wilhelm born 10-5-1871
                Fredr. born 8-11-1873
                Freda born 16-5-1880
All born in Lapitz, Germany
Johann was my grandfather.

 Frederice and Johann were first cousins.

Have I confused you yet??   If I can help you, let me know OK?   Later,
Muriel

Important site

Date: 2000/02/15 16:54:27
From: Erica Margita Neumann <Erica.Neumann(a)vantcom.net>

Hi list members,

I found this site and think that it's important for all researchers:

	http://ancestordetective.com/watchdog.htm

It includes a lot about fraudulent genealogical web sites.

Erica Margita Neumann
erica.neumann(a)vantcom.net

Re: Important site

Date: 2000/02/15 20:35:42
From: LTBoehmke <LTBoehmke(a)aol.com>

Thanks, Erica, this is a very important site and should be read by all.
I bookmarked it. <A HREF="http://ancestordetective.com/watchdog.htm";>Genealogi
cal Web Sites Watchdog</A>
LaVerne
ltboehmke(a)aol.com
researching  B.O.E.H.M.K.E.   H.E.M.M.A.N.N.    H.E.I.N.E.M.A.N.N.
J.A.E.H.N.I.K.E.   L.A.N.D.L.   L.I.N.H.A.R.D.T.    P.I.E.T.S.C.H.M.A.N.N.
R.O.E.H.L.   S.E.H.L.E.R.   S.I.E.V.E.R.S.    T.E.L.L.E.
Z.A.C.H.A.R.I.A.E.

RE: Das Schlochauer Land

Date: 2000/02/16 07:43:10
From: Brian Bauman <brewcanoe(a)attglobal.net>

Thank you, Adalbert.  They did not have Das Schlochauer Land, but did have
another book I was looking for, Jugend Unterm Schicksal by Werner Verlag.

Regards,
Brian Bauman
Searching for Baumann, Klugmann, Sternberg in Kreis Schlochau
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~brewcanoe/

  I am looking for a book, "Das Schlochauer Land"  by Johannes Gurtz
and
Helmut Becker.  It's about 20 years old and probably out of print, as I

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

try http://www.zvab.de

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax: 425-732-9921 --
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind) ---
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
     Our webpage is up now: http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
                     goertza(a)fatalerr.com
If you have email only, send message to www4mail(a)web.bellanet.org
     In body write: get http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
   Searching Menno names:Goertz, Kerber, Franz, Bartel, Balzer

FWD Bromberg

Date: 2000/02/16 17:00:52
From: Wolfgang Fred Rump <fredrump(a)home.com>

  Dear Sally,

Thanks for sharing your experience in Bromberg.  For me it was
very helpful since I plan to visit the area next year or the year
after.  I have now decided to stay in the countyside rather than in
the city.

I  s u b s c r i b e  to the "Bromberg" magazine which comes out
4x yearly. An issue or two back told about how the Chairman of the
Bidegast-Vereinigung had travelled from Germany to Bromberg to
attend some sort of ceremony which was also attended by the
Bromberg town officials and members of the German Minority
Society in Bromberg. During the banquet his car was stolen.  Other
issues have told about how Bromberg is the stolen car center of
Poland.  Sad but true.

 The population of Bromberg was really increased alot since the end
of WWII.  And many of the residents don't have a connection to the
city since so many of the Poles were driven out by Hitler and the
Germans by the Poles and Russians.  This and the too rapid growth
could be a cause of the problem.  It's truely a mess there, but
things are looking up in some areas.  There's talk of opening a
university there and Bromberg was the place of the Pope's visit.
Still a stop in Bromberg will not be a priority on my agenda when I
visit the surrounding area.

Regards, Joel Streich

travel to Poland

Date: 2000/02/16 20:07:50
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

Re: Travel to Poland/Forschungsreisen nach Polen

Anyone traveling to Poland to do research in archives would be
well advised to make his/her plans known to the research community.
I suggest that the following be made known:
1) Places of archives you plan to visit
2) Time frame of travel plans
3) What archival material you want to look for
4) Would you be willing to take on lookups for other researchers
   for cost sharing?
5) Do you speak/read Polish/German?

Forschungsreisende nach Polen waeren gut beraten, ihre Reiseplaene
der Forschergemeinde bekannt zu machen.
Ich schlage vor, folgendes bekannt zu machen:
1) Welche Archive und wo sollen besucht werden?
2) Zeitraum der Reiseplaene.
3) Nach welchen Archivalien wird gesucht?
4) Sind Sie bereit, gegen Kostenbeteiligung fuer andere Forscher
    nach Archivalien zu suchen?
5) Koennen Sie polnisch/deutsch sprechen/lesen?

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax 425-732-9921
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind)  ---
  Genealogy of Mennonites in East and West Prussia; Amt Driesen
  Grund- und Hypotheken-Acten ab 1783; Regulierungen,Abloesungen,
  Praestations-Tabellen. Kreise Schwetz, Graudenz, Culm, Thorn.
Mitglied des Vereins Familienforschung in Ost- und Westpreussen
             http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
   Ethnic cleansing of Prussia in 1945 had its repeat in Kosovo.

Czartolon, Amt Schlochau

Date: 2000/02/16 20:41:23
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)aol.com>

Liebe Teilnehmer der OW-Preussen-Liste,

hier kommt etwas für die Spezialisten des Schlochauer Landes:

Ich bin auf der Suche nach dem Ort Czartolon in Westpreussen. Dieser Ort wird
in den Westpreussischen Kontributionslisten als dem Amte Schlochau zugehörig
genannt und erscheint auch im Geographischen Wörterbuch der Preussischen
Staaten als:
„Czartolen oder Sawist, ein adeliges Dorf im Konitzer Kreise, gehörig zu
Jarczewo.“

Leider kann ich aber keinen der genannten Namen im Historisch-Geographischen
Atlas von 1785 wiederfinden.
Weiss jemand wo dieser Ort liegt und zu welcher Kirche er gehörte ?

Gruss,
Eberhardt Dommer
(Edommer(a)aol.com)

Re: Czartolon, Amt Schlochau

Date: 2000/02/17 02:28:07
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

I have a copy of part of a historical map of the Konitz area that shows
Sawist. Sawist is (or was) just a few miles north of Konitz (sorry, but the
map does not have a legend showing km or miles per cm/inch).  It will not
show up on the Mapquest web site, but looking at that site and the roads
leading out of Konitz, I would guess that Sawist was perhaps only 2 miles
north of Konitz.

The towns surrounding Sawist were Zandersdorf to the NW, Powalken (Powalki)
to the NE, Kl. Konitz (Chojniczki) to the NW, Giegel to the SSE, Krojanten
(Krojanty) to the ESE and Mueskendorf (Charzykowy) to the W.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific. My guess is that Sawist belonged to
Konitz parish.

Mary Popovich

Re: Czartolon, Amt Schlochau

Date: 2000/02/17 03:27:10
From: John Hartman <geodejack(a)worldnet.att.net>

Herr Dommer-
Bitte, entschuldigen Sie . I spreche nur ein bischen Deutsch.
Heute, Schlochau ist Czluchow, Konitz ist Chojnice.Die zweite sind sw of  Danzig.

Mein ur-grossvater war in Pollnitz in 1893.Er war Theodore HARTMAN,
Jack

Edommer(a)aol.com wrote:

> Liebe Teilnehmer der OW-Preussen-Liste,
>
> hier kommt etwas für die Spezialisten des Schlochauer Landes:
>
> Ich bin auf der Suche nach dem Ort Czartolon in Westpreussen. Dieser Ort wird
> in den Westpreussischen Kontributionslisten als dem Amte Schlochau zugehörig
> genannt und erscheint auch im Geographischen Wörterbuch der Preussischen
> Staaten als:
> „Czartolen oder Sawist, ein adeliges Dorf im Konitzer Kreise, gehörig zu
> Jarczewo.“
>
> Leider kann ich aber keinen der genannten Namen im Historisch-Geographischen
> Atlas von 1785 wiederfinden.
> Weiss jemand wo dieser Ort liegt und zu welcher Kirche er gehörte ?
>
> Gruss,
> Eberhardt Dommer
> (Edommer(a)aol.com)

Czartolon, Amt Schlochau

Date: 2000/02/17 05:03:35
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

betr
Ich bin auf der Suche nach dem Ort Czartolon in Westpreussen. Dieser
Ort wird
in den Westpreussischen Kontributionslisten als dem Amte Schlochau
zugeh/rig

Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>

Noch im Jahre 1820 unter Sawu"st gefu"hrt, Kreis
Conitz.

Sawist

Date: 2000/02/17 07:09:25
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

Several people have asked about Sawist. I don't have the name of the person
who posted the original query, but at least one other person on the list
would like to contact you off-list.

If anyone would care to send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope, I will
make copies of this map and send them to you. The map runs from Kl. Konitz
in the north to Kl. Zerkwitz in the south, and from Damnitz in the west to
Ostrowitz in the east. More than half the map is south of Schochau. The map
gives German names, another researcher typed in some Polish names below the
German, and I handwrote in others.

My address is 2029 W. Wilshire Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85009.

Mary Popovich

Finkhauser in the US???

Date: 2000/02/17 16:35:30
From: Dieter Finkhäuser <Dieter.Finkhaeuser(a)t-online.de>

Hi all you Finkhouser, Finkhaus and People with similar names out in cyber
space,
I'm trying since almost three years to find my roots. Beside the fact, that
I can't find a trace of my ancestors before about 1750 I have another gap in
my blooming family trees.
According to a very wage information a few members of the family emigrated
to the US about 1810 - 1830. Her father was Friedrich Finkhaeuser,
Finkheiser, Finkhauser. Different sources show different writings. Friedrich
was born 1771 in East Prussia and died about 1830.
I checked all the sources "German's to America", shipping lists and what
have you. Without success.
I found two emigrated Finkhaeuser's. Ida Finkhauser died 1906 in Los Angeles
and Franz Finkhauser which died 1892 in Louisville. But these two people
arrived in the US, New York 22.8.1890, about 60 -70 years later than the
family members I'm searching for.
Now my question. Has anyone of the Finkhouser researcher in the US a trace
which possibly ends in East Prussia around early 1800?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Dieter Finkhäuser aus Poing bei Muenchen
Dieter.Finkhaeuser(a)t-online.de

Re: Finkhauser in the US???

Date: 2000/02/17 21:46:37
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

Have you checked the International Genealogical Index{IGI} at LDS? If not, go
to www.familysearch.org/search/searchigi.asp. Hope this will help.

Frances

Researching names BUDIG, KNITTEL, ARENDT, and BUCHAL.

RES: Sawist

Date: 2000/02/18 11:57:06
From: Erica Margita Neumann <Erica.Neumann(a)vantcom.net>

Hi Mary

Greetings from Brazil to you.

This map that you have, is it possible to find some of the places :
*	Pommerellen
*	Lessen(Lasin), Koerberrode (Nowe Jankowice), Graudenz(Grudziadz)
*	Villafass, Kulm(Chelmno)

If yes, please let me know it.

Thanks,
Erica Neumann
Erica.neumann(a)vantcom.net

Galkowen Ukta Cruttinnen

Date: 2000/02/18 13:11:05
From: Jorge Párraga <jorgepar(a)netverk.com.ar>

My Friends:
I thank the group for the great help.
If somebody on the group has access to the information of Meyer- Orts
Gazzetter I would thank that  if you transmit me the information of the
places below. I am in front of a wall and I need to know where to look for.
They in the FHL of my city don't receive the microfiches of that book.
Besides other things I need to know to what parish and civil registration
belonged.

All these four places are in Kreise Sensburg, Ost Preussen. Near UKTA  or
ALT-UKTA

* Galkowen - Nikolaihorst, Galkowen, or Nikelshorst
* Alt Ukta
* Cruttinerofen (or Kruttinerofen)
* Kruttinnen (or Cruttinnen)

The surnames I look for in these small places are: BIEBERSDORF,  KLIMASCH,
KULESSA,  BAHL.
Thank you
Jorge from La Plata, Argentina
gene(a)mensura.com.ar
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~parraga/gen/index.htm

Cruttinnen

Date: 2000/02/18 17:06:45
From: Adalbert Goertz <goertza(a)fatalerr.com>

 OW-PREUSSEN-L(a)GENEALOGY.NET           Number    : 12810 of 12,812

Subject :  Cruttinnen

My Friends:
I thank the group for the great help.
If somebody on the group has access to the information of Meyer- Orts
Gazzetter I would thank that  if you transmit me the information of the
places below. I am in front of a wall and I need to know where to look for.
They in the FHL of my city don't receive the microfiches of that book.
Besides other things I need to know to what parish and civil registration
belonged.

All these four places are in Kreise Sensburg, Ost Preussen. Near UKTA  or
ALT-UKTA

* Galkowen - Nikolaihorst, Galkowen, or Nikelshorst
* Alt Ukta
* Cruttinerofen (or Kruttinerofen)

adalbert goertz responds:

* Kruttinnen (or Cruttinnen)

     church of Aweyden

-- ** Adalbert & Barbel Goertz ** ph 719-390-1088 ** Fax: 425-732-9921 --
---  retired in Colorado Springs, (Colorado is a state of mind) ---
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
     Our webpage is up now: http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
                     goertza(a)fatalerr.com
If you have email only, send message to www4mail(a)web.bellanet.org
     In body write: get http://www.cyberspace.org/~goertz
   Searching Menno names:Goertz, Kerber, Franz, Bartel, Balzer

Re: Cruttinnen

Date: 2000/02/18 21:32:01
From: Jim & Muriel Gambrel <jgambrel(a)mts.net>

Date: 2000/02/18 21:55:45
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

Hello in Brazil!

If you're referring to the map I've offered to copy and mail to various
people, no it does not contain the places you've listed. Graudenz and
Chelmno are far east of this map. However, you may be able to find some of
these places on the Ravenstein Atlas of 1883, which is online. Here is the
link: http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/ravenstein/

You must first check the gazetteer that's included with the maps to find the
proper map and square on the map where you town is located. The gazetteer
takes several minutes to download, and unfortunately the maps take even
longer. However, there's good detail.

Mary Popovich

Re: Cruttinnen

Date: 2000/02/18 22:07:02
From: Lars Jørgen Helbo <salldata(a)bog.dk>

At 14:31 18-02-2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi!  this is Muriel - I found a place "Nikolaiken" which is just east
>and a bit south of Sensburg -
>The LDS have Zivilstandsregister films - 1874-1880 for Nikolaiken
>#1191345
>also another, includes Wosnitzen;, Lucknainen, Schaden and Nikolaiken
>#1191346, same years.

Yes, both Nikolaiken and Alt-Ukta are in Kreis Sensburg, but apart from
that they have nothing to do with each other. They are two seperate
parishes. Nikolaiken 18 km east of the town of Sensburg. Ukta is 23 km to
the south-east.

Ukta and Alt-Ukta are two ends of the same village. Kruttinen is placed 4
km straight west of Ukta and Nickelshorst halfway in between.

I have a map 1:100.000, if anybody is interested, I can make and send a
scanned image.

Unfortunately I think the churchbooks from Ukta were lost during the war.

As you may be able to hear, this is also my area of interest ;-)

The names I am looking for are ALBARUS, MROHS, BURY, BOROWSKI, BERG, DISLAK
and TACHYLZIK all in Kreis Sensburg.
---

Lars Jørgen Helbo
---

mailto:helbo(a)bigfoot.com

http://helbo.cjb.net

http://haurumsall.cjb.net

http://www.salldata.dk

New Danzig mailing list in English language

Date: 2000/02/19 09:49:25
From: Wolfgang Naujocks <Wolfgang(a)Naujocks.de>

Hello,

a new Danzig mailing list is opened and is ready to work.

Danzig-E(a)ecircle.de  is meant for all English speaking people with an
interest in the old Free City of Danzig (Freie Stadt Danzig). Topics are
history, culture, genealogy and - of course - modern day Gdansk.

Since July 1999 a German language based Danzig forum has been working
successfully (Danzig(a)ecircle.de). In the German list you can find many
"old" Danzigers, their descendants, friends of this wonderful old town
and, of course, some citizens of Polish Gdansk. I was asked serveral
times why there is no English mailing list. I think, it's the right time
to start with such a list now.

### IMPORTANT: This forum is open for ALL topics around Danzig, the Free
City of Danzig and Gdansk ###

If you want to subscribe send an email to Wolfgang(a)Naujocks.de
--
Greetings from Wolfgang Naujocks (Wolfgang(a)Naujocks.de) in Brackenheim,
a small village surrounded by vineyards in Baden-Wuerttemberg.

SURNAMES

Date: 2000/02/19 14:08:37
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

Good morning,

The surnames I am researching are BUDIG, ARENDT/AREND, KNITTEL and BUCHAL.
All were from the Berlin area except KNITTEL, who was from Schnidemuehl which
I am told is now Pila, Poland. Is Pila near Berlin?

My great grandfather Friedrich Wilhelm BUDIG married Johanna KNITTEL in
Berlin and came to the US, I beleive in the early 1880s. His father was
Friedrich August BUDIG and his mother was August Caroline ARENDT/AREND.
Friedrich Wilhelm was christened in 1858, I beleive.

Can anyone tell me where I can learn more about these people? Any suggestions
will truly be appreciated. Thank you.

Frances in Mississippi, USA

Re: New Danzig mailing list in English language

Date: 2000/02/19 14:47:59
From: Bette Imboden <eimboden(a)FirstClassSolutions.com>

Dear Mr. Naujocks,
     Would this list include areas around Danzig?  My ancestors came from
Blotnik(Schmerblok) and Tiegenhof(Nowy Dwor Gdansk), which I believe
are about 50-60 miles from Danzig.
Bette Imboden, St. Louis Missouri, USA

Re: New Danzig mailing list in English language

Date: 2000/02/20 11:59:31
From: Wolfgang Naujocks <Wolfgang(a)Naujocks.de>

Am Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:48:29 -0600 erreichte mich folgende Nachricht:

Dear Bette,

>     Would this list include areas around Danzig?  My ancestors came from
>Blotnik(Schmerblok) and Tiegenhof(Nowy Dwor Gdansk), which I believe
>are about 50-60 miles from Danzig.
>Bette Imboden, St. Louis Missouri, USA

Yes, Schmerblock an Tiegenhof belonged to the former Free City of
Danzig.  You can find Schmerblock 18 km South East of Danzig and
Tiegenhof 32 km South East of Danzig. The new list Danzig-E(a)ecircle.de
will cover the territory within the boundaries of the state of Danzig.

Date: 2000/02/21 04:31:14
From: Frank & Kay Wolniak <frankay(a)pacbell.net>

Would one of you kind subscribers re-post the info for subscribing to this
again...
Must be alzheimers kicking in, lost the original post...if there was one, I
thought so...
Cheers, Frank

Brandenburg und Elbing

Date: 2000/02/21 12:57:54
From: Regina Auf'm Kampe <aufmkampe(a)addcom.de>

Hallo,

ich bin ganz neu hier und wahrscheinlich wurde diese Frage schon x-mal
gestellt, aber trotzdem wäre es nett, wenn mir jemand antwortet.
Gibt es noch Kirchenbücher von Brandenburg Reg. Bez. Königsberg und von
Elbing, und wenn ja, wo ?
Die gesuchten Vorfahren wurden 16.8.1847 in Brandenburg und 1874 in Elbing
geboren. Sie hießen Kümmler und Hävernick.

Freundliche Grüsse

Regina Auf'm Kampe

Re: Brandenburg und Elbing

Date: 2000/02/21 14:54:56
From: Walter Mogk <Walter.Mogk(a)t-online.de>

Regina Auf'm Kampe schrieb:
> Hallo,
>
> ich bin ganz neu hier und wahrscheinlich wurde diese Frage schon x-mal
> gestellt, aber trotzdem wäre es nett, wenn mir jemand antwortet.
> Gibt es noch Kirchenbücher von Brandenburg Reg. Bez. Königsberg und von
> Elbing, und wenn ja, wo ?
> Die gesuchten Vorfahren wurden 16.8.1847 in Brandenburg und 1874 in Elbing
> geboren. Sie hießen Kümmler und Hävernick.

Hallo Regina,

im Evangelischen Zentralarchiv in Berlin finden sich folgende Kirchenbücher von
Elbing:

Taufen: 1839-1865 (St. Annen), 1840-1850 (St. Marien), 1840-1858 (Baptisten),
1851-1860 (St. Marien), 1866-1885 (St. Annen), 1871-1943 (Kath.-Apost. Gm.),
1886-1903 (St. Annen), 1904-1913 (St. Annen), 1914-1928 (St. Annen)

Trauungen: 1822-1879 (St. Annen), 1835-1852 (St. Marien), 1846-1856 (Baptisten),
1853-1877 (St. Marien), 1880-1903 (St. Annen), 1926-1938 (Kath.-Apost. Gm.)

Sterbefälle: 1834-1865 (St. Annen), 1835-1852 (St. Marien), 1853-1869 (St.
Marien), 1865-1879 (St. Annen), 1871-1944 (Kath.-Apost. Gm.), 1880-1897 (St.
Annen), 1897-1905 (St. Annen), 1906-1917 (St. Annen), 1918-1930 (St. Annen),
1945-1946 (allgemeine Totenliste)

Abendmahlsteilnehmer: 1835-1875, 1871-1944 (Kath.-Apost. Gm.)

Von BRANDENBURG, Kr. Heiligenbeil existieren bei der Deutschen Zentralstelle für
Genealogie in Leipzig folgende evang. Kirchenbücher:

a) TAUFEN: 1621-1719, 1719-1768, 1769-1778, 1778-1801, 1802-1810, 1874
b) TRAUUNGEN: 1600-1714, 1714-1770, 1800-1810, 1874
c) STERBEFÄLLE: 1714-1742, 1800-1810, 1874

Viele Grüße

Walter

Walter Mogk - Hoehenstrasse 11  - D-96049 Bamberg
TELEFON:        [+49] (0) 9 51  - 60 23 48
MOBILFUNK [D1]: [+49] (0) 1 70  - 6 28 57 14
FAX [Firemail]: [+49] (0) 18 05 - 6 61 66 63 91 29
E-MAIL: walter.mogk(a)t-online.de / INTERNET: www.mogk.is-online.net

KOOPTIERTES MITGLIED DES VORSTANDS DER HEIMATKREISGEMEINSCHAFT GERDAUEN E. V.
DIE HKG GERDAUEN IM INTERNET: www.kreis-gerdauen.de

Re: Czartolon, Amt Schlochau

Date: 2000/02/22 22:07:12
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)aol.com>

Hi, Jack,
thanks for your answer regarding Schlochau / Konitz, I am getting along with
that now.
Sorry, there are no Hartmanns in my family.

all the best,
Eberhardt Dommer

Re: Brandenburg und Elbing

Date: 2000/02/23 13:39:42
From: Regina Auf'm Kampe <aufmkampe(a)addcom.de>

Vielen Dank für die Auskunft !

Gruß - Regina

> > ich bin ganz neu hier und wahrscheinlich wurde diese Frage schon x-mal
> > gestellt, aber trotzdem wäre es nett, wenn mir jemand antwortet.
> > Gibt es noch Kirchenbücher von Brandenburg Reg. Bez. Königsberg und von
> > Elbing, und wenn ja, wo ?

RES: Sawist

Date: 2000/02/23 14:35:35
From: Erica Margita Neumann <Erica.Neumann(a)vantcom.net>

	> Chelmno are far east of this map. However, you may be able to find
some of
	> these places on the Ravenstein Atlas of 1883, which is online.
Here is the
	> link: http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/ravenstein/

Thanks Mary for your help.

Erica Neumann
erica.neumann(a)vantcom.net

Wachsmuth, WP

Date: 2000/02/25 15:26:41
From: Albert E.F. Lipskey M.A. <albert(a)Lipskey.de>

Hallo liebe Mitforscher,

ich suche privaten Email-Kontakt zu Familienforschern, die sich mit
Ahnen aus dem Ort Wachsmuth, West-Preußen und näherer Umgebung befassen.

Vielen Dank!

Albert Lipskey

albert(a)lipskey.de

Hello fellow researchers,

I wish to get in touch with those of you who are doing family history
research in and 'round Wachsmuth, West Prussia.
Please contact me at my private Email-address: albert(a)lipskey.de

Thank you,

Albert Lipskey

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/26 06:05:03
From: =James Birkholz= <birchwd(a)flash.net>

The only listing in Meyers 1910 gazetteer of the German empire that starts
with "Vand_" is Vandesburg, Kr. Flatow, Westpreu$en.

James

At 9:01 AM -0500 5/3/1, Denise Lynch wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Can anyone help me in looking up the town Vandenburg in Meyers? I am not
>at all familiar with Germany - past or present but this is supposedly
>where my ancestors came from.  If it is not there, then it could be called
>Vandsburg - that is what Mary possibly suggests. Please let me know if
>anyone has access to this information - it would be greatly appreciated!!
>
>Denise Lynch

>Preussen the the German name for Prussia.
>
>Vandenburg would be the town name. I have not checked Meyers Lexikon for
>this town (I don't have access to it at home). There may have been a small
>village with that name listed in Meyers. If there was, it would have a new
>name today, as town names ending with "burg" that became part of Poland had
>their names changed. Some towns that ended with burg now end with bork,
>e.g., Marienburg is now Malbork and Vandsburg is now Wieczbork.
>
>Bydgoszcz was the Polish province that Wieczbork is in. Poland just went
>through some redistricting last year and there is no longer a province
>called Bydgoszcz, but the LDS catalog and most researchers continue to use
>that name.
>
>Kreis Flatow - Kreis is the German equivalent of our county. So Vandsburg
>was in the county of Flatow. Flatow is now called Zlotow.
>
>If you were to look these places up on the LDS catalog, they would be
>cross-referenced as follows:
>
>Poland, Bydgoszcz, Wieczbork (country, province, town)
>
>Germany, Preussen, West Preussen, Vandsburg (Flatow) (empire, country,
>province town (county))
>
>You might ask Listers specifically if someone can do a lookup for you of the
>town Vandenburg in Meyers. If someone can do that for you and they don't
>find a Vandenburg, then my suggestion of Vandsburg is a definite
>possibility.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Mary Popovich

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/26 08:09:21
From: clspegal <clspegal(a)povn.com>

Not sure if this helps at all, but was just researching in the IGI and saw
(while looking up something else) a listing:
Darmstadt, Vanderburgh,Germany.....
 Anyway, thought I'd mention it.
> The only listing in Meyers 1910 gazetteer of the German empire that starts
> with "Vand_" is Vandesburg, Kr. Flatow, Westpreu$en.
>
> James
>
> At 9:01 AM -0500 5/3/1, Denise Lynch wrote:
> >Hello!
> >
> >Can anyone help me in looking up the town Vandenburg in Meyers? I am not
> >at all familiar with Germany - past or present but this is supposedly
> >where my ancestors came from.  If it is not there, then it could be
called
> >Vandsburg - that is what Mary possibly suggests. Please let me know if
> >anyone has access to this information - it would be greatly appreciated!!
> >
> >Denise Lynch

> >Preussen the the German name for Prussia.
> >
> >Vandenburg would be the town name. I have not checked Meyers Lexikon for
> >this town (I don't have access to it at home). There may have been a
small
> >village with that name listed in Meyers. If there was, it would have a
new
> >name today, as town names ending with "burg" that became part of Poland
had
> >their names changed. Some towns that ended with burg now end with bork,
> >e.g., Marienburg is now Malbork and Vandsburg is now Wieczbork.
> >
> >Bydgoszcz was the Polish province that Wieczbork is in. Poland just went
> >through some redistricting last year and there is no longer a province
> >called Bydgoszcz, but the LDS catalog and most researchers continue to
use
> >that name.
> >
> >Kreis Flatow - Kreis is the German equivalent of our county. So Vandsburg
> >was in the county of Flatow. Flatow is now called Zlotow.
> >
> >If you were to look these places up on the LDS catalog, they would be
> >cross-referenced as follows:
> >
> >Poland, Bydgoszcz, Wieczbork (country, province, town)
> >
> >Germany, Preussen, West Preussen, Vandsburg (Flatow) (empire, country,
> >province town (county))
> >
> >You might ask Listers specifically if someone can do a lookup for you of
the
> >town Vandenburg in Meyers. If someone can do that for you and they don't
> >find a Vandenburg, then my suggestion of Vandsburg is a definite
> >possibility.
> >
> >Hope this helps.
> >
> >Mary Popovich

Re: Wachsmuth, WP

Date: 2000/02/27 02:13:06
From: BradburnEH <BradburnEH(a)aol.com>

Hi Albert,

I do not know if I have relatives in or around Wachsmuth, but my great
grandfather was from Mecklenburg, Prussia and according to the 1870 US census
for Taylor County, West Virginia both of his parents were born in
Mecklenburg, Prussia.

My great grandfather's name was William (Wilheim) LUETHKE born about 1837. He
was a stone mason. He married Mary born about 1837 in Denmark. They had three
children born in Denmark before the family emigrated to the USA. These
children were Christianna born about 1862, William born about 1864 and
Charles born about 1865.

William LUETHKE sailed from Hamburg aboard the SAXONIA and arrived in New
York on 4 September 1865. His wife and three children followed later. They
all settled in or near Grafton, Taylor County, West Virginia, USA where
William worked for the railroad building tunnels.

William had a brother who also came to the USA. His name was John H. E. M.
LUETHKE and he was born around 1824 in Mecklenburg, Prussia. John's wife was
names Anna H., she was born about 1826 in Hamburg and her parents were born
in Oldenburg. I do not what year John and his family left Germany, but he was
in Grafton, Taylor County, West Virginia in 1870. He also was a stone mason
and worked for the railroad. John Luethke most likely emigrated prior to
William LUETHKE.

Let me know if any of this is familiar to you Albert.

Thanks,
Gene Bradburn
BradburnEN(a)aol.com

Elbing or Elblag and Stuba

Date: 2000/02/27 20:43:21
From: NGroves <NGroves(a)aol.com>

My great-grandparents evidently were from Stuba. Although they lived for a
time in Russia (I'm not certain of the dates), my great-grandmother returned
to Stuba around 1885, after the death of her husband. They had four children,
all of whom I believe were born in Russia and returned to Stuba with her.
Later, two of them would, separately, emigrate to the US.

My great-grandparents' names were Gottlieb and Henrietta Schroeder. I believe
that her maiden name was Karsten. Their children were Julius, Emilia (Emily,
in the US), Mathilde, and Elizabeth. Julius and Emily are the two who came to
the US, and Emily was my grandmother.

Is there anyone on this list who is familiar with Stuba who might help me
begin to search for more details?

Thanks,
Nancy Groves

Sturgheim

Date: 2000/02/27 21:19:16
From: Cindy Goldsworthy <cgolds(a)shockware.com>

Hi:
I'm looking for anyone that has information about the town of Sturgheim.  I
have an ancestor from there a: Conrad/George (have come across both names)
Hoffmann born about 1805 in Sturgheim married Anna Maria Rosenfelder from
Neu Sulzfeld, Poland.  They emigrated to Bessarabia, Russia.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cindy

Hekp wanted

Date: 2000/02/28 06:50:15
From: Zimmermann Jan Erik <Zimmermann(a)danfoss.com>

Hi all

I am searching for my ancestors.

His name is AUGUST ZIMMERMANN and comes from WANGST. He was born on
19-02-1861. His fathers name was JOSEPH ZIMMERMANN.

Where can I find information that will help me? Where is WANGST today?

Regards,
Jan Erik Zimmermann

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/28 15:35:00
From: Denise Lynch <DLynch(a)itsusnow.com>

Can you tell me what the IGI is?  This may be a new direction to follow sine I am sort of stuck right now.

Thanks,
Denise

>>> clspegal(a)povn.com 02/26/00 02:07AM >>>

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/28 17:24:57
From: Carol Fricke <jsfly(a)alltel.net>

Hello Denise, The IGI is the International
Geographical Search Engine. If you just put IGI in
your address bar
and hit ENTER you should go there. You would put
in the name you are searching for and a location
and see if
it comes up with any hits.
Carol   Or use this <
http://www.familysearch.org/Search/searchigi.asp >
Good luck
Carol

Re: Hekp wanted

Date: 2000/02/28 18:15:32
From: WhitmerJ <WhitmerJ(a)aol.com>

Wangst was in Kreis Roessel, East Prussia around 1871.  It was located
generally southwest of the city of Roessel and more specifically south of
Bischofstein and northeast of Seeburg.

Today Wangst is Wagsty, Poland.  Roessel is now Reszel, Bischofstein is now
Bisztynek and Seeburg is now Jerziorany, all in Poland.

Regards,
Karen B. Whitmer

Re: Hekp wanted

Date: 2000/02/28 19:09:33
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

According to ShtetlSeeker, Wangst (now Wagsty) is about 123 miles North of
Warsaw and 20-25 miles NE of Olszstyn.
http://www.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.isa?jg~jgsys~shtetl

Mary Popovich

Re: IGI

Date: 2000/02/28 19:19:47
From: Mary Popovich <busia(a)mindspring.com>

The IGI is the International Genealogical Index. It's an index of names of
deceased persons for whom LDS temple work was performed by LDS members. Many
of the names on the index are deceased members of families of LDS members.
However, the LDS church also had an "extraction" program, in which a member
"extracted" ALL the names and dates from a microfilmed baptism/marriage
register.

Generally, the parishes selected for extraction had a complete set of
records for a fairly long time period and the records were in good shape.
The IGI's extracted records are generally highly trustworthy for accuracy
because two people extracted the same film, their data was entered into a
computer, and then a third checked and resolved any discrepancies between
the two sets of data. The batch numbers for these extracted records usually
start with "C" for christening records and "M" for marriage records.

Mary Popovich

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/28 20:24:39
From: clspegal <clspegal(a)povn.com>

the URL is http://www.familysearch.org

> Can you tell me what the IGI is?  This may be a new direction to follow
sine I am sort of stuck right now.

> Thanks,
> Denise

> Not sure if this helps at all, but was just researching in the IGI and saw
> (while looking up something else) a listing:
> Darmstadt, Vanderburgh,Germany.....
>  Anyway, thought I'd mention it.

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/28 20:28:26
From: Em <hogg(a)gulfislands.com>

IGI stands for International Genealogical Index.   You will find it at the
Latter Day Saints (Mormon) site at  www.familysearch.org

Monica

> Can you tell me what the IGI is?  This may be a new direction to follow
sine I am sort of stuck right now.

> Thanks,
> Denise

> Not sure if this helps at all, but was just researching in the IGI and saw
> (while looking up something else) a listing:
> Darmstadt, Vanderburgh,Germany.....
>  Anyway, thought I'd mention it.

Brodzky family

Date: 2000/02/28 20:30:54
From: John Brodzky <brodzky(a)stavedown.demon.co.uk>

My grandfather Maurice Brodzky was born in Marggabrowa, Germany (East
Prussia); now Olecko Poland, on November 13 1850.

His parents were Israel Elias Brodzky and Bella Czerwynkowsky.

I do not know the birth dates or birth places of either of my
grandfather's parents, or if they had any other children.

I am therefore looking for anyone who may be the grandchild of someone
who had the same parents as my grandfather, or maybe who could tell me
where I might find more details of my grandparents.

Any help would be much appreciated.
--
John Brodzky

Re: Vandenburg

Date: 2000/02/28 20:57:00
From: Danleyf <Danleyf(a)aol.com>

The IGI is the International Genealogical Index at LDS, it has births and
marriages dating back a coupke hundred years. It is a very good source.

Frances,
MS, USA

Church locations

Date: 2000/02/29 05:09:59
From: Chuck Braun <chshb(a)centurytel.net>

All,
     Is there a map of East Prussia showing the location of all the
Evangelical Churches in the late 1800's?  If there is, where do I get hold
of it?  I have a partial map showing church locations in HinterPommern.  The
locations with churches have a little cross by it.
Thanks,
Chuck Braun
Osceola, WI
email:  chshb(a)centurytel.net

Re: Church locations

Date: 2000/02/29 09:26:40
From: Edommer <Edommer(a)aol.com>

Chuck,
I would recommend to get hold of the "Historisch-geographischer Atlas des
Preussenlandes". That it is a phantastic compilation of data for West- and
East-Prussia, it uses old maps and overlays on individual pages with the
following information:
1. administrational structure and jurisdiction  ("Verwaltungsgliederung")
2. organisation of catholic and protestant churches and mennonites
("Kirchliche Organisation")
3. legal postion of villages/towns ("Rechtsstellung der Siedlungen")
4. number of households ("Feuerstellen")
That all has been put together as a snapshot of 1785, say about a decade
after the first Polish Partion (1772), when Prussia took parts of Poland
over. It was then when the term "Westprussia" was introduced in contrast to
the old Dukedom of Prussia, which was then called "Eastprussia"...by order of
Friedrich II, believe it or not.
Back to the atlas:
The a.m. atlas was published by Franz Steiner Verlag GmbH, Wiesbaden, Germany.
My edition is from 1970, a tremendous source and typical masterpiece of
precision.
The authors are the German historians Hans Mortensen, Gertrud Mortensen and
Reinhard Wenskus.
The atlas comes in 20 individual pages of about 50 cm x 70 cm as a big roll
of paper.
The scale of the maps is 1 : 300.000. The delivery is also accompanied by
detailed tabulations and descriptions of the historical context.

This atlas is a real gain for every genealogist in East- and Westprussia.

All the best,
Eberhardt Dommer

Re: Hekp wanted

Date: 2000/02/29 10:38:48
From: carl and patricia baido <carlnpat(a)nex.net.au>

Sounds like this is in Ermland, Ostpreussen.
I have a site devoted to Ermland and People who are searching in this area.
Please have a look at my website.

http://www.nex.net.au/users/carlnpat/Ermland.html

Thanks
Patricia

Re: Church locations

Date: 2000/02/29 13:45:42
From: Dietrich Fabricius <fabricius(a)ioa.com>

You can get high detailed maps of Ostpreussen from the Institute fuer
Angewandte Geodaesie(IfAg); the website is http://www.ifag.de/

If you look under the Product menu, you'll find  Alte topographische
Kartenwerke. The maps at  1:100000 scale mark churches with dot & cross.
These maps date from 1939, but still should be useful to you.

In the U.S., the same maps can be obtained from Genealogy Unlimited, Inc.
PO Box 537, Orem, UT 84059-0537, phone 1-800-666-4363.  Their website (as of
1998)  was http://users.itsnet.com/~genun

You can also find a list of church parishes on
http://paris.chem.yale.edu/~zondlo/epru-ev.html

Date: 2000/02/29 15:08:59
From: Don Litzer <dlitzer(a)scls.lib.wi.us>

Denise,
The IGI is the International Genealogical Index.  It has been compiled by
the LDS for years (how many exactly I don't know).  It is comprised of
information extracted from records microfilmed by the LDS church (as
opposed to genealogists' research results, which are as good as the
genealogists researching them).  For years one could go to an LDS Family
History Center library and use the IGI on microfilm.  I can't tell you off
the top of my head what it's called now and in what format, but that's at
least how it started.

Don Litzer
Head of Adult Services
McMillan Memorial Library