Monatsdigest

RE: Town Named UNTINHEIN

Date: 1997/12/01 03:12:38
From: Craig M. Kruse. <cmkruse(a)bellsouth.net>

Thank You Karen,
	I will try more research and see if I can find some more information. I know it was not a lot to go on but thought I would try. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Craig Kruse

----------
Date: 1997/12/07 17:31:04
From: Rudnick <Rudnick(a)t-online.de>

Hallo,

ist jemandem bekannt, ob es in D bereits Projekte gibt, die sich damit
befassen genealogische Daten aus Todesanzeigen (ggf auch Geburts- u.
Heiratsanzeigen) zu erfassen und aufzubereiten?

Ich habe mir mal eine solche Datenbank gebastelt und experimentiere seit
August mit echten Daten, um zu sehen, wie so etwas zu handhaben ist, und
was man aus den Daten rausholen kann.

Ende der Woche habe ich zufällig mitbekommen, dass in den USA ein
solches Projekt bereits existiert: Die Obituary Daily Times
http://www.best.com/~shuntsbe/obituary/ . Das hat mich darin bestärkt,
dass meine Idee vielleicht doch nicht nur eine Schnapsidee war.
--
Nick Rudnick
Welzheim, Germany

Pommern / Pommerania
DORDEL   HORN   RUDNI(C)K   WOLF
Schlesien / Silesia
DUEHRING   FUDER   HARTIG   HOMMEL   KUNKEL   LOEHNERT   RUDNICK
STARKE
Boehmen / Bohemia
HELZEL   LAUFER   LEHNERT   PRASCHL   RINGELHAN   SCHINDLER   WERBIK
Wuerttemberg
BAREIS   BRENNENSTUHL   ECKARDT   EISENMANN  FUNK   GOETZ    GRAU   MACK
Posen   KOWALSKI
Sachsen / Saxony   LUKAS
Baltikum   FOERSTER

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:37:36
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:39:44
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:42:18
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:44:35
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:47:50
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply-Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:52:32
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply -Reply-Reply-Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 17:56:21
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 18:05:46
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 18:10:43
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 18:14:28
From: MarieAnna Marais <marais(a)cued.unp.ac.za>

I will be away on leave until the 12 January.

Please contact me then.

Marie-Anna.

Re: DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 20:27:59
From: Siegfried Rambaum <siram(a)lightlink.com>

Why are you sending this thing TEN TIMES? Don't you think, that ONE
POSTING suffices for intelligent people?

  D 245 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,536) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  D 246 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,543) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  D 247 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,550) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  D 248 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,557) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  D 249 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,566) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  D 250 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,578) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
    251 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,584) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  N 252 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,590) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  N 253 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,601) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
  N 254 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,572) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?

Re: DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ? -Reply -Reply-Reply-Reply-Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Date: 1997/12/07 20:40:46
From: Reinhold Herrmann <rainer(a)>

'So sprach der ach so ferne Rechner von Siegfried Rambaum'
>Why are you sending this thing TEN TIMES? Don't you think, that ONE
>POSTING suffices for intelligent people?
>
>  D 245 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,536) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  D 246 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,543) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  D 247 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,550) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  D 248 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,557) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  D 249 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,566) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  D 250 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,578) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>    251 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,584) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  N 252 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,590) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  N 253 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,601) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?
>  N 254 Dec  7 MarieAnna Marais    (1,572) DB "Todesanzeigen" / Obituary ?

This was a automaticaly remail!!!
I have delete Marie Anne from the list, because she would send till 12. Jan.

Rainer

--
Reinhold F. Herrmann | Email: RH(a)eics.com      | Es muss ein Ruck durch
Herrmann & Wintz GBR |        RH(a)genealogy.net | dieses Land gehen

Re: East Prussian list of towns with Evangelical Churches (1914)

Date: 1997/12/08 03:11:45
From: R L Lotshaw <rllfl(a)peganet.com>

----------
> From: Neal Joseph Zondlo <zondlo(a)paris.chem.yale.edu>
> To: ow-preussen-l(a)genealogy.net; PRUSSIA-ROOTS-L(a)rootsweb.com
> Subject: East Prussian list of towns with Evangelical Churches (1914)
> Date: Friday, November 28, 1997 6:43 PM
>

> A few months back I posted a listing of the towns in West Prussia which
> had Evangelical ("Lutheran") churches in the year 1914. I finally got
> around to transcribing the list of East Prussian towns which had
> Evangelical churches in 1914. This listing of churches (organized by
> diocese) may be found at
> http://paris.chem.yale.edu/zondlo/opru-ev.html
>
> This is the initial version, and may contain a few misspellings,
deletions,
> and other errors. Please inform me of any corrections to this list.
> Also, if you know the status of records for any of these parishes,
> please contact me.
>
> For those who missed it the first time, the list of West Prussian towns
> with Evangelical parishes in 1914 may be found at
> http://paris.chem.yale.edu/zondlo/wpru-ev.html
> Due to the efforts of a variety of people, this list is now annotated
with
> the LDS records status of about 1/3 of these parishes.
>
> Neal
>
> Neal Zondlo
> Schepartz Lab
> Department of Chemistry
> Yale University
> zondlo(a)paris.chem.yale.edu
> zondlo(a)minerva.cis.yale.edu

Would a similar list for Catholic Churches in East Prussia be in existence?

Ralph Lotshaw
rllfl(a)peganet.com

Koberstein

Date: 1997/12/08 23:30:04
From: Terry Koberstein <KOBERSTEIN(a)compuserve.com>

I am researching the KOBERSTEIN surname, which I know came from Schlochau
Kries in West Prussia, Czarnikau in Posen, Berlin in Mecklenburg, and other
places.  If any one has interest in the name or has seen records for this
name please contact me at koberstein(a)compuserve.com.

thanks

Braunschweig family

Date: 1997/12/09 01:16:30
From: weiner <weiner(a)netins.net>

I am searching for the birthplace and any additional information anyone
might have on my great-grandparents.  Sophie Henrietta Braunschweig was
born in East Prussia on 08-08-1849 to Johann and Wilhelmina Braunschweig.
Johann may have been in the military, as he received an inscribed watch
from Gen. Bismark.  Sophie  had many siblings, but the only name we know is
one who died in infancy named Hermann, and a brother born later named the
same.  The family must have been wealthy, as they had servants and such, if
that helps with research.  Sophie married against the family's wishes to
Franz Xavier Korslovski, (changed to Kosak), a tailor, then came to
America.  Her mother, Wilhelmina (Minnie) died as a result of a fall down
the marble steps in her home.

I hope I haven't included too much unnecessary information in this, but if
anyone has any leads for us, please let me know.

Thank you!
Jill Weiner
Nora Springs
Iowa   USA

Apology

Date: 1997/12/13 03:17:22
From: Linda Marks Pauling <11870(a)www1.utech.net>

Hi All,
Our Email server had a hard drive crash and has been down for 48 hours.
They have bounced all of our messages. I want to apologize to all of you
for the inconvenience I am sure this has caused.
Linda Pauling

German Army?

Date: 1997/12/16 19:57:33
From: Linette sbresny <l_sbresny(a)geocities.com>

I would like to start buy introducing myself. My name is Linette Sbresny
and I am researching The Sbresny and Kostka family lines. Both lead back
to Rydzewen and Orlen in L"otzen County. I have recently found out that
my great-grandfather Fred Sbresny was in the German Army and he worked
on the "King's Train". Could anyone please tell me what the King's Train
was? I was also told that all males were in the Army from ages 18-28. Is
this accurate? Also if anyone could tell me if there are vital records
available for these villages, or were they all destroyed? I am not able
to look up any of the information at a LDS center as there are not any
close to were I live that have the information. I am trying to save up
so I can go to the main one in Utah. If anyone could help me it would be
greatly appreciated.
Again thank you.
--
*  Please visit my home page at             *
*  (www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/6333) *

German Army?

Date: 1997/12/16 20:19:55
From: Adalbert Goertz <adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com>

 http://pegasus.adnc.com/~websites/lynnd/gfaq.html#A

Subject: gfaq.html-A

Adalbert Goertz's Regional German FAQs

        Modified June 15, 1997

     * Baden
     * Boehmen (Bohemia)
     * Brandenburg
     * Deutschland (Germany)
     * Elsass-Lothringen
     * Maehren (Moravia)
     * Ostpreussen (East Prussia)
     * Pommern (Pomerania)
     * Posen (Poznan)
     * Preussen (Prussia)
     * Rheinhessen
     * Rheinpfalz (Palatinate)
     * Schlesien (Silesia)
     * Westfalen (Westphalia)
     * Westpreussen (West Prussia)

-- ************ Adalbert Goertz ****** ph 719-390-1088 ********
----------  retired in Colorado Springs, Colorado -------------
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
------------  Netting with proterm3.1  and an Apple//GS -------

Re: German Army?

Date: 1997/12/17 06:28:28
From: W. Fred Rump <fred(a)k2nesoft.com>

Also sprach Linette sbresny on 16 Dec 97 at 14:01 about German Army?:

> I would like to start buy introducing myself. My name is Linette
> Sbresny and I am researching The Sbresny and Kostka family lines.
> Both lead back to Rydzewen and Orlen in L"otzen County. I have
> recently found out that my great-grandfather Fred Sbresny was in the
> German Army and he worked on the "King's Train". Could anyone please
> tell me what the King's Train was?

Each regiment had a TRAIN company attached to it. There were also
larger Train outfits. Thing ot them as transportation companies,
horses and things. I don't think there was anything like a special
kings train unless someone confused this with the royal name of a
regiment were this train was attached to.

> I was also told that all males
> were in the Army from ages 18-28. Is this accurate?

No, not at all. Prussia was very much concerned in keeping farms
running as that is what feeds the nations and pays the taxes. If
everyone was in the army who would have done everythng else? It is
true that anyone was subject to be called but not every one was. Once
you were in, it became a matter of serving many years in a sort of
inactive reserve status were annual drills were required.

>Also if anyone
> could tell me if there are vital records available for these
> villages, or were they all destroyed? I am not able to look up any
> of the information at a LDS center as there are not any close to
> were I live that have the information. I am trying to save up so I
> can go to the main one in Utah.

I'm sure others know more about the places etc around Lötzen. I
camped there for several weeks almost three years ago and we did
much of our shopping in Lötzen.

If anything is available the LDS would most probably have it. There
is lierally nothing left that connects the area to its past as that
was most carefully erased. Well, except WWI military graveyards.
These exist in Lötzen and the smaller villages around the area and
they are now being meticulously restored. Any WWII remembrances are
gone.

Fred

Fred Rump             http://www.k2nesoft.com/~fred
26 Warren St
Beverly, NJ 08010        fred(a)compu.com or
609-386-6846             fred(a)k2nesoft.com

Re: German Army?

Date: 1997/12/17 14:57:12
From: Linette sbresny <l_sbresny(a)geocities.com>

Fred I am curious about this train thing. According to my father it was
a big secret that the family didn't like to talk about. He also says
that his grandpa worked on an actual train. That it is something that
his grandfather didn't like to talk about. I was under under the
impression that he worked on one of the trains that carried people to
concentration camps but he left Germany way before the war. I guess I am
not sure what it is he did. All I can figure out is it sounds like
whatever he did was not a pleasant thing. I would like to thank you for
the information it is very interesting. Are there any books that would
tell me more about the way the army worked?

Date: 1997/12/17 17:05:26
From: W. Fred Rump <fred(a)k2nesoft.com>

Also sprach Linette sbresny on 17 Dec 97 at 9:00 about Re: German
Army?:

> Fred I am curious about this train thing. According to my father it
> was a big secret that the family didn't like to talk about. He also
> says that his grandpa worked on an actual train. That it is
> something that his grandfather didn't like to talk about. I was
> under under the impression that he worked on one of the trains that
> carried people to concentration camps but he left Germany way before
> the war. I guess I am not sure what it is he did. All I can figure
> out is it sounds like whatever he did was not a pleasant thing. I
> would like to thank you for the information it is very interesting.
> Are there any books that would tell me more about the way the army
> worked?

It is always a problem for anyone out here to be specific about
anything without having the necessary input as to what is known. If
you are 75 and you are speaking of your greatgrandfather we may well
be speaking of a time before any iron horse type train was ever used
in any army type service. Remember it was not really until the late
19th century when trains became more or less available to travel on.
The 1830 inventions did not take hold for 20 to 30 years except in
isolated circumstances.

I hate to keep reminding people to tell what they know so that better
when it comes to history.

Working in a transportation company is STILL not exactly prime
service. In the US this used to be a chore for black troops. Back in
the old days it was important to have served with known regiments and
be a hero by association. Working to feed the horses just did not
have the same impact and might not exactly become material for table
discussions.

Fred

Fred Rump             http://www.k2nesoft.com/~fred
26 Warren St
Beverly, NJ 08010        fred(a)compu.com or
609-386-6846             fred(a)k2nesoft.com

book sale

Date: 1997/12/18 17:57:23
From: Adalbert Goertz <adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com>

for sale:

Germanic Genealogy-Guide to worldwide sources & migration patterns
by E.Brandt et al.,370 pp.,1995,St.Paul MN, 22.00
        plus shipping

Germanic Genealogy-Guide to worldwide sources & migration patterns
by E.Brandt et al.,517 pp.,1997 St.Paul MN, 30.00
        plus shipping

-- ************ Adalbert Goertz ****** ph 719-390-1088 ********
----------  retired in Colorado Springs, Colorado -------------
  Mennonite genealogy of East and West Prussia prior to 1945.
        Genealogy/history book sale, ask for my listing

Date: 1997/12/18 20:43:12
From: Thomas Scharnowski <Thomas.Scharnowski(a)t-online.de>

Hello Linette ,
my name is Thomas and my father was born in the area of
L"otzen, to be more detailled in Adlersdorf, now called Orlowen.
It is in the east of L"otzen. Is Orlowen perhaps the same as Orlen ?
I have some informations about the area where I am researching,
please tell me more detailled what you have.
TIA, Thomas
--
Visit my homepage at
http://home.t-online.de/home/Thomas.Scharnowski

Re: German Army?

Date: 1997/12/18 20:58:10
From: Reinhold Herrmann <rainer(a)retsys.eics.com>

On 18-Dec-97 Thomas Scharnowski wrote:
>Hello Linette ,
>my name is Thomas and my father was born in the area of
>L"otzen, to be more detailled in Adlersdorf, now called Orlowen.
>It is in the east of L"otzen. Is Orlowen perhaps the same as Orlen ?

Hallo Thomas,

ich glaube wir hatten vor Urzeiten bereits einmal Kontakt.

Orlowen ist uebrigens der urspruengliche masurische Name fuer Adlersdorf.
Der Ort wurde wie alle anderen masurischen Orte 1939 umbenannt. Der jetztige
Name ist Orlowy ("en" ist eine masurische Endung, die polnische Entsprechung
ist "y")
Meine Herrmann Vorfahren stammen uebrigens aus dem Kirchspiel Orlowen;
exakterweise Dobrowolla, zugehoerig bis 1847 Kirchspiel Jucha, spaeter Orlowen.

Rainer

Reinhold F. Herrmann | Email: RH(a)eics.com      | Es muss ein Ruck durch
Herrmann & Wintz GBR |        RH(a)genealogy.net | dieses Land gehen
Genealogy Network    |                         | (Roman Herzog)

Re: book sale

Date: 1997/12/18 21:16:38
From: Howard H. Genske <HHGENSKE(a)concentric.net>

Hello Aadalbert,

Please send your list. I am especially Kostrzyn, Miast, Powiat Gorzow
Wielkopolski,Ziemia Lubuska. It is my understanding that town was named
Kuestrn Stadt, 21,274 population, Kreis Koenigsberg (Neumark),
Brandenburg.

Thanks for any help.
Howard H. Genske
hhgenske(a)concentric.net
Saginaw, Micgigan

Date: 1997/12/18 23:19:01
From: Adalbert Goertz <adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com>

  Dr.Adalbert Goertz,5515 Pickering Ct,Colorado Springs CO 80911-3148
Shipping extra.719-390-1088

  internet email: BE404(a)yfn.ysu.edu
  or
  adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com

    (Hopefully, one would work)

  Will trade for books on insects
 & ask for full title marked by &:Ask for my nature-biology or physics-math    book listing
 Prussian history and  genealogy,Mennonitica,church history,coins,             Americana:                        price
 V: Veroeffentlichungen des Vereins fuer Fam.Forschung in Ost-& Westpreussen,    ^Hamburg ============
 V:QMS Nr.8:Die Kartei Schulz-Familienkundl.Aufzeichnungen (Kr.Heiligenbeil)   ^Hamburg 1993,519 pp.             10.00
 V:So.Schrift 18:Stassewski,K.v.,R.Stein:Was waren unsere Vorfahren,           ^ Hamburg 1971,118pp.             10.00
 V:So.Schrift 44:Amt Barten-Orte-Wohnplaetze und ihre Einwohner 1774-1819,      ^Hamburg 1980,148pp.              12.00
 V:So.Schrift 67:Hoffmann-Bagienski,H.L.:Die Dienstgueter desAmtes Johannesburg ^Hamburg 1992                     15.00
 V:So.Schrift 87:Amtsblatt der Kgl.Preuss.Regierung zu Danzig,Auszug 1834-70   ^Hamburg 1995,239 pp.             15.00
 V:So.Schrift 92:R.Stein:Die laendliche Verfassung Ostpreusssens am Ende des   18.Jhdts,1997,575 pp              35.00
Arndt,J.:6 Buecher vom Wahren Christenthum, leather, Reutlingen 1854,928pp.     ^                             &   30.00
Arnold-Kuethmann-Steinhilber:Gr.Deutscher Muenzkatalog,1800-1970,Muenchen 1971,   ^415pp.                           25.00
Atlas zur Weltgeschichte von K.Leonhardt,       Offenburg 1951,32pp.           ^                                 10.00
Atlas zur Weltgeschichte:Neuzeit,    Westermann, Braunschweig 1963,70pp.       ^                                 15.00
Avrilliong,E.:Advent-Andacht oder Art und Weis...,Leather,        Augsburg     ^1758,355pp                .  &   250.0
Baumgart,W.:Buecherverzeichnis zur deutschen Geschichte,Ullstein-Verlag,        ^Berlin 1976,236pp.               6.00
Baumgarten,S.J.:Geselschaften und derselben Streitigkeiten,          Halle     ^1755,322pp.,                 &   300.0
Baur,F.C.:Geschichte der Christlichen Kirche,vol.4-5(post-reformation)         ^1866,1877, 1290pp.               40.00
Beck,Hans-Georg:Das Byzantinische Jahrtausend,dtv,Muenchen 1982, 381 pp.                                          5.00
Beitraege zur Geschichte der Rheinischen Mennoniten,Schriftenreihe Nr.2 MGV,    ^Weierhof 1939,185pp.             15.00
Bernheim,E.:Einleitung in die Geschichtswissenschaft,Sammlung Goeschen,         ^Leipzig 1909,156pp.              4.00
Bestandsverzeichnis der Deutschen Zentralstelle f.Genealogie Leipzig,          Teil I (Oestl.Provinzen)          15.00
Beuningen,Konrad van:Das aelteste Kirchenbuch der Menno-Gemeinde Danzig,
 (1665-1808),  281 pp.  50.00
Bibel oder die ganze Heilige Schrift,leather,                        Halle     ^1782,1079pp.                 &   320.0
Bibel oder die Ganze Heilige Schrift...M.Luther, leather,          Hamburg     ^1828,1932pp.,                &   80.00
Biblia, das ist die gantze Heilige Schrift,leather,folio,         Nuernberg     ^1736,1181pp.,                &   1500.
Biblia, das ist die Gantze Heilige Schrift...M.Luther,               Gotha     ^1752,852pp.,                 &   950.0
Brastberger,I.:Predigten (no title page), leather,               Nuertingen     ^1758,1096pp.,                &   50.00
Breasted,J.H.:Ancient Times,a history of the early world,       Ginn Co NY     1916,742pp.                       5.00
Catechismus oder Kurtzer Unterricht Christlicher Lehr...,       Heidelberg     ^1774,288pp.                  &   95.00
Christliche Fest-Tags-Feier,in einfaeltiger Anweisung,                Basel     ^1766,87pp.                   &   100.0
Conrad,M.D.:Zions Lehre und Wunder Oder Predigten,leather,          Cassel     ^1746,1015pp.,                &   500.0
Danzig - Ansichten der Stadt, ca. 1930,              5.00
Das Himmlische Vergnuegen in Gott,oder vollst.Gebaetbuch,             Aarau      ^1836,816pp.                  &   90.00
Der Mennonit-Internationales Mennonitisches Gemeindeblatt,5 vols.,Frankfurt-   ^Basel-Karlsruhe 1948 - 1973      150.0
Dilhern,J.M.:Hohe Schul des Hoechsten Lehrers und seiner Schueler,   Nuernberg    ^1663,792pp.                  &   400.0
Duden-Lexikon,5 vols.,                                            Mannheim     ^1961                             30.00
Dyck,Joh.J.:Am Trakt(Volga colony,Russia),              Echo-Verlag Canada     ^1948,78pp.                       8.00
Fischer-Weltgeschichte:Byzanz,                                    Frankfurt    ^1973,443pp.                      5.00
Fischer-Weltgeschichte:Der Hellenismus und der Aufstieg Roms,     Frankfurt    ^1965,412pp.                      5.00
Freylinghausen,J.A.:Hohepriesterliche Gebet Unseres Heilandes,       Halle     ^X1725,693pp.                  &  400.0
Friedberg,R,:Gold Coins of the World- from 600 AD to the  present, 415 pp.     NY 1965                           25.00
Gebetbuch in der Sprache des Herzens, leather,                       Neuhaus   ^1827,189pp.                  &   50.00
Gebhardt  Handbuch der deutschen Geschichte,DTV Wissenschaftliche Reihe:       ^Muenchen
Gebhardt Bd. 9:E.W.Zeeden:Das Zeitalter der Glaubenskaempfe,1555-1648,          ^Muenchen 1976,231pp.              4.00
Gebhardt Bd.10:M.Braubach:Vom Westfaelischen Frieden bis zur franzoes.Revolution ^Muenchen 1976,233pp.              4.00
Gebhardt Bd.13:F.Uhlhorn/W.Schlesinger:Die deutschen Territorien,              ^Muenchen 1977,399pp.              5.00
Genealogical Society:Major Genealogical Record Sources in the Netherlands      Salt Lake City 1968,4pp.          1.00
Germanic Genealogy-Guide to worldwide sources &migration patterns
by E.Brandt et al.,370 pp.,1995,St.Paul MN, 22.00
Germanic Genealogy-Guide to worldwide sources &migration patterns
by E.Brandt et al.,517 pp.,1997 St.Paul MN, 30.00
 Hennig,E., C.Wegeleben:Kirchenbuecher - Bibliographie gedruckter Tauf-,        Trau-u.Totenregister,447 pp       25.00
Hubatsch,W.:Deutschland zwischen dem 30jaehrigen Krieg u.der franzoes.Revolution ^Ullstein,Berlin 1973,208pp.      6.00
Hund,F.:Geschichte der Quantentheorie,                             Mannheim    ^1975,262pp.                      20.00
Jaeger,K./U.Haevecker:Die Deutschen Banknoten seit 1871,             Basel     ^1969,237pp.                      010.0
Kauenhoven,K.:Mitteilungen des Sippenverbandes der Danziger Mennon.Familien,   ^August 1939                    10.00
Kirche im Osten-Studien zur osteurop.Kirchengesch.,   Bd.11,p.91-107           ^Muenster 1968,27pp.               1.00
Kretschmer,H.:100 Jahre Zeitgeschehen-eine bebilderte Zeittafel:    Limburg    ^1963,72pp.                       8.00
Map of Pirmasens-Landau,Pfalz,Baden-Baden,Germany,scale 1:100000               ^1937                             10.00
Meidinger,J.V.:Praktische Franzoesische Grammatik,                 Frankfurt    ^1818,682pp.                  &   20.00
Mennonitische Geschichtsblaetter 1952,1955 each 4.00;1964,5.00,    Weierhof     ^  1972                           6.00
Mennonitischer Gemeinde-Kalender,Karlsruhe,                                    ^mostly bound,1951 - 1978         80.00
Microfilm:Mennonitisches Adressbuch 1936 by.Christian Neff,        Weierhof    ^                                 10.00
Millot,Abbe:Elements of General History,disbound,pt.2,         Worcester MA    1789,429pp.                       60.00
Moller,M.:Praxis Evangeliorum oder nuetzliche Abhandlung,leather,               ^Nuernberg 1756,1048,          &   250.0
Moule,C.F.D.:An Idiom-Book of the New Testament Greek,Cambrige 1960,246 pp.                                      10.00
Neumeyer,H.:Bibliographie zur Kirchengeschichte von Danzig und Westpreussen    ^1967,235pp.                      25.00
Opgenoorth,E.:Einfuehrung in das Studium der neueren Geschichte,   Frankfurt    ^1974,347pp.                      8.00
Peregrinatio Novena oder Neuntaetige Zuflucht zu den Heiligen..,     Wien?      ^1736,216pp.                  &   150.0
Ploetz:Hauptdaten der Weltgeshichte,                              Wuerzburg     ^1963,280pp.                      8.00
Porsts Goettliche Fuehren der Seelen und Wachstum der Glaeubigen,        Halle    ^^1730,1102pp.,                &  250.0
Postleitzahlbuch (German zip directory), 986 pp., 1993                                                           10.00
Rambach,J.J.:Betrachtungen ueber das ganze Leiden Christi,            Halle     ^^1764,1284pp.                 &  150.0
Robertson,W.:History of the reign of emperor Charles V,vol.1,           NY     1804,328pp.                       150.0
Rosenberger,Homer T (1908-1982):The Enigma-how shall history be written?       Waynesboro PA 1979,453pp.         12.00
Schlumberger,H.:Gold Coins of Europe since 1800,                         NY    1969,352pp.                       20.00
Schmolken,B.:Himmlische Vergnuegen in Gott oder volst.Gebetbuch,       Basel    ^1790,786pp.                  &   50.00
Schwalbach,C.:Die neueren deutschen Doppeltaler und Doppelgulden,   Luebeck     ^1967,48pp.                       3.00
Shepherd,W.R.;Historical Atlas,8th ed.,NY 1956,115 pp.                                                           10.00
Starck,J.F.:Predigten ueber d.Sonn-,Fest-und Feiertags-Evangelien,Reutlingen    ^1842,779pp.                  &   70.00
Taschenbuch fuer Familiengeschichtsforschung by Ribbe-Henning,      Neustadt    ^1980,421pp                       12.00
Taschenbuch fuer Familiengeschichtsforschung by Wecken-Krausse:Schellenberg     ^1951,319pp                       12.00
Thun,N.:Deutsche Taler,Doppelgulden,Doppeltaler,1800-1871,         Frankfurt   ^1976,272pp                       10.00
Walden,P.:Geschichte der Chemie,                                     Bonn      ^1947,116pp                       3.00
Wiebe,H:Das Siedlungswerk niederlaendaendischer Mennoniten im Weichseltal:       ^Marburg 1952,109pp               50.00

  ****** wanted ******* gesucht **************************************      ****
 desiderata/wanted by A.Goertz,98 Brown Street,Waynesboro PA 17268
Bland,Roger G./Jacques,H.E.:How to know the Insects,3rd ed. Dubuque
Brandt,H.:Kaefer,Hautfluegler,Zweifluegler und weitere Insektenordnungen    1960
Brandt,Herbert:Schaedlinge u.Krankheiten an landwirtsch.Kulturpflanzen      1957
Brandt,Herbert:Schaedlinge und Krankheiten an Forst-und Parkgehoelzen
Carr, Anna: Rodale's Color Handbook of Garden Insects, Emmaus PA 1979
Chinery,M.:A Field Guide to the Insects of Britain & Northern Europe        Lond
Chinery,M.:A Field Guide to the Insects of Britain & Western Europe.320pp.  Lond
Chinery,M.:Insekten Mitteleuropas,Parey:Hamburg 1984,444pp
Covell,C.V.:Field guide to moths of Eastern N.America,1984,496pp
Essig,E.O.:Insects &Mites of Western North America 1958
Friese, G.:Insekten, Leipzig 1970
Howard,L.O.:The Insect Book, NY 1920?
Illustrated books/Illustrierte Insektenbuecher/any language
Insects of Eastern Forests, USDA For.Serv.Misc.Publ.1426, 1985
Jacobs,Werner:Taschenbuch zur Biologie der Insekten,Stuttgart:Fischer 1974  635p
Jacques,H.E.,R.H.Arnett:How to know the beetles, 865 illustr.,1951,378p     1951
Krombein,Karl v.et al.:Catalog of Hymenoptera in America north of Mexico    3 vo
Linsenmaier,W.:Insects of the World(Knaur) McGraw-Hill NY 1972
Martin,A.C.et al.:American Wildlife and Plants, Dover 1961
Martineau,R.:Insects harmful to forest trees, Ottawa 1984
Observer's Book of Common Insects and
Schneck, Marcus:Butterflies. Emmaus PA 1990
Schoenichen,W.:Praktikum der Insektenkunde,3.Aufl.,Jena 1930
Schroeder,Heinz:Insekten in Farben-275 mitteleur.Arten, 132pp,1966
Sedlag,U. et al.:Insekten Mitteleuropas, 1986, 408 pp
Slater,J.A.,R.M.Baranowski:How to know the true bugs,496 illustr.,1978
Swan,L.&C.S.Papp:The Common Insects of North America,NY 1972

Re: book sale

Date: 1997/12/19 13:39:33
From: Joel Streich <streich_joel(a)jpmorgan.com>

 Lieber Adalbert,

  Ich suche seit geraumer Zeit die Buecher vom wahren Christentum von
Joh: Arndt.  Es kommt mir jetzt schwindlig zumut,  vielleicht bekomme ich
diese Buecher endlich gerade zu Weihnachten -- hast Du diese Buecher
und willst Du die versilbern?????  Schreib mir bitte baldigst.

 Dein,
Joel Streich
streich_joel(a)jpmorgan.com

PS-Ich melde mich nochmal nachdem ich Deine ganze Liste durchgeschuat
habe.

Hallo an alle

Date: 1997/12/19 15:08:06
From: Anja Pfeiffer <anja.pfeiffer(a)uni-duesseldorf.de>

Hallo an alle,

ich bin auf der Suche nach meinen Vorfahren aus dem Kreis Rössel,
hierbei handelt es sich um folgende Namen:

Bornick(?)
Grunert
Kirstein
Klymbki/Klempki
Schulzki
Wölke

Ein anderer Zweig meiner Ahnen kommt aus der Ecke Elbing...

Haese (aus Ellerwald)
Holzberg (aus Elbing)
Hungler
Laengert (aus Berent)
Nax (aus Willnau)
Preuß (aus Reichenau)
Schumacher

Einer meiner Vorfahren (Kirstein) ist durch den Napoleonischen Feldzug
von Bonn nach Ostpreussen gekommen. Gibt es jemanden, der eine ähnliche
Situation in seiner Familie hatte, oder mir sagen kann,
ob es Listem über die Soldaten gibt???

Über jeden Kontakt und Tip würde ich mich sehr freuen.

Anja Pfeiffer

e-mail: anja.pfeiffer(a)uni-duesseldorf.de
tel. 0211/378579
fax. 0211/3857865

Re: German Army? Tain etc

Date: 1997/12/20 01:30:27
From: W. Fred Rump <fred(a)k2nesoft.com>

Also sprach W. Fred Rump on 17 Dec 97 at 0:23 about Re: German Army?:

> Also sprach Linette sbresny on 16 Dec 97 at 14:01 about German
> Army?:
> > I have recently found out that my great-grandfather Fred Sbresny was in the
> > German Army and he worked on the "King's Train". Could anyone please
> > tell me what the King's Train was?

A little more on the matter. We have an expert on such matters
listening in but he is probably not too conversant in English and
send the following to me:

"Deinen Antworten in Sachen der Anfrage "king's train" kann ich nur
zustimmen: Train-Soldaten waren immer Soldaten 2. Klasse. Uebrigens
habe ich im Soldbuch meines Grossvaters zwei Stempel des koenigl.
Preuss. Train-Bataillons gefunden und hier als attachment beigelegt:
vielleicht willst Du sie forwarden? Viele Gruesse Dietrich Flade"

Briefly: I can only add my concurrence to everything you said about
the troops of the "king's train": such soldiers were always second
grade or lower class. I have two cancellations in my own
grandfather's military paybook showing two cancellations of the royal
Prussian train bat. I've included them in this mail. Do you wish to
forward them?

So I have two TIF files showing cancellations/stamps of two such
royal train regiments.

One says:
KOE. PREUSS. OSTPREUSS. (round on top of stamp)
TRAIN-
BATTALION
No 1. (on bottom)

the other:

KÖNIGLICH PREUSSISCHE - (top)
(a Prussian Eagle)
MASURISCHE - TRAIN - ERSATZ - ABTEILUNG No. 20 (below the Eagle in
the middle of the stamp)
VERSORGUNGS - ABTEILUNG (on the bottom)

The 2nd cancellation is from a secondary or replacement unit.

If anybody would like the cancellations give me a mail

Fred

Fred Rump             http://www.k2nesoft.com/~fred
26 Warren St
Beverly, NJ 08010        fred(a)compu.com or
609-386-6846             fred(a)k2nesoft.com

Praestationstabellen & Muehlenconsignationen

Date: 1997/12/20 01:36:04
From: W. Fred Rump <fred(a)k2nesoft.com>

While I have your attention, the following might bo of interest to
our German readers. I've always been a bit confused about these lists
I asked about below. Dietrich Flade explained the difference nicely.
FR

> Verstehe ich das richtig indem die Praestationstabellen koenigliche
> Gueter beschreiben und das Muehlenconsignationen andere adlige Gueter
> sind?
--------------
Praestationstabellen sind praktisch Steuerlisten, in denen alle Leute
aufgefuehrt sind, die steuerpflichtig waren: Man musste zahlen fuer
den Acker je nach Groesse, fuer jedes Stueck Vieh, fuer jeden Herd
usw. Alles wurde notiert und wenn die "Steuerbehoerde" dem Koenig
unterstand, so wurden Abschriften der Listen gefertigt und nach
Koenigsberg und manches auch nach Berlin geschickt. Deshalb sind fast
alle Praestationstabellen der koeniglichen Untertanen erhalten; fuer
die adligen Untertanen (das sind die Untertanen des Adels) gibt es
solche Listen in aller Regel nicht mehr.

Es handelt sich dabei nicht um königliche Gueter: wenn es solche gab,
so waren sie verpachtet. Die Organisation der königlichen Untertanen
wurde ueber die "Aemter" geleistet: man kann sie auch als
Staatsdomaenen bezeichnen. Muehlenconsignationen sind Verzeichnisse,
in denen die Mahlgaeste einer Muehle aufgefuehrt sind: es war damals
nur priviligierten Muellern vorbehalten, Korn zu mahlen und die
Bauern durften ihr Korn nur zu ganz bestimmten Muehlen bringen. Auch
der Adel hatte nicht immer das Recht, eine Muehle zu betreiben. Wenn
er es nicht hatte, mußten dessen Untertanen die königliche Muehle
benutzen und in solchen Faellen sind adlige Untertanen in
koeniglichen Muehlenconsignationen zu finden. Mueller und Krueger
(also Gastwirte) waren regelmaessig freie Leute und standen in der
Hierarchie weit oben.----------------

Date: 1997/12/20 03:08:56
From: Adalbert Goertz <adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com>

Train = waggon train, transport units - n on-combatants.

Praestationstabellen & Muehlenconsignationen

Date: 1997/12/20 03:10:29
From: Adalbert Goertz <adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com>

Praestations-Tabellen nur fuer Koenigl.Gueter, fuer die adl.Gueter
hat es PT nie gegeben.

Re: Hallo an alle

Date: 1997/12/22 07:48:25
From: Bulitta <Bulitta(a)aol.com>

Hallo Anja,

 ich beschäftige mich mit der Genealogie in den Kreisen Allenstein u.
 Ortelsburg, Nachbarkreisen von Rössel. Habe mal meine Datenbank zum Namen
 Kirstein durchforstet:

 ORT	NNAME	VNAME	EREIGNIS	JAHR	DATUM	INFO	QUELLE
 Passenheim	Kirstein		Betriebsleitung der Molkereigenossenschaft				Von Poser
 V., Meyhöfer M. Der Kreis Ortelsburg, Rautenberg/Leer, 1995, S. 235

 Passenheim	Kirstein		Namensnennung (in der Zeit 1660 bis Ende
 18.Jahrhundert)				Michels G: Passenheim, S. 106

 Friedrichshof	Kirstein	Maria	Tod in Scharfenberg	1963	09.09.63	Geb.
 Zimmermann	Heimatbote KG Ortelsburg 1964 S. 24

 Hamerudau	Kirstein	Wilhelm	Nennung des Bauernhofes				M. Meyhöfer: Die
 Landgemeinden des Kreises Ortelsburg, Rautenberg/Leer, 1994, S. 120

 Hamerudau	Kirstein	Wilhelm	Nennung des Ausbauhofes				M. Meyhöfer: Die
 Landgemeinden des Kreises Ortelsburg (Ergänzungsband), Rautenberg/Leer, 1971,
 S. 92.

 In meiner Heimatstadt Herne gab es übrigens mal eine Kneipe, deren
 Wirtsehepaar Kirstein hieß.

 MfG
 Michael Bulitta, Bonn

Verein fuer Familienforschung ...

Date: 1997/12/22 07:55:22
From: Richard G <glee-family(a)t-online.de>

I would like to have a contact address or fone number for the
Verein fuer Familienforschung in Ost- und Westpreussen.
They definitely do NOT have a contact in Hamburg/Germany.
Who is up to date with this one ?

Richard G
(researching the Gliszczynski-families
... and the culture of the Kashubs)

Re: Verein fuer Familienforschung ...

Date: 1997/12/22 08:37:17
From: Bulitta <Bulitta(a)aol.com>

Hi Richard,

try the following:

Reinhard Wenzel
An der Leegde 23
D-29223 Celle

Prof. Dr. Dr. Gerd von der Oelsnitz
Sankt-Jakob-Str. 3
D-82211 Germering

For ordering of books etc.
Elisabeth Meier
Postfach 110569
D-46125 Oberhausen

And there's a homepage
http://www.genealogy.com/gene/tmp/up/pages/vffow.htm

Hope this helps!

Bye
Michael

Re: Praestationstabellen & Muehlenconsignationen

Date: 1997/12/22 08:59:12
From: flade <flade(a)lbf.fhg.de>

On Dec 20,  2:03am, Adalbert Goertz wrote:
> Subject: Praestationstabellen & Muehlenconsignationen
> Praestations-Tabellen nur fuer Koenigl.Gueter, fuer die adl.Gueter
> hat es PT nie gegeben.
>
>-- End of excerpt from Adalbert Goertz

Wenn ein Adliger ueber mehr als ein Gut verfuegte, also z.B. ueber ein
oder mehrere Doerfer, dann wurden den koeniglichen Praestationstabellen
vergleichbare Listen gefuehrt. Es war die einzige Möglichkeit zu kontrollieren,
ob die Bauern ihre Zinsen fuer das Land (das ihnen ja genausowenig wie den
koeniglichen Untertanen gehoerte) und die sonstigen Steuern bezahlten. Ich weiss
nicht, ob es für diese Listen eine spezielle Bezeichnung gibt, vom Inhalt und
Aufbau her waren sie aber gleich. Beispiele für solche Listen mit "adligen"
Untertanen sind abgedruckt in
Stein, Robert: Die Umwandlung der Agrarverfassung Ostpreußens durch die Reform
des 19. Jahrhunderts (Sonderschrift 92 des VFFOW)
Flade: Aus dem Archiv der Grafen zu Dohna-Reichertswalde. 1996. 224 S.
          Familienkundliche Aktenauszüge aus einem ostpreußischen Adelsarchiv.
(QMS 7 des VFFOW) (s. auch:
http://www.genealogy.com/gene/vereine/VFFOW/vffow.htm )

--
Dr.-Ing. Dietrich Flade
Fraunhofer Institut für Betriebsfestigkeit

Re: Verein fuer Familienforschung ...

Date: 1997/12/22 14:10:19
From: flade <flade(a)lbf.fhg.de>

On Dec 22,  2:27am, Bulitta wrote:
> Subject: Re: Verein fuer Familienforschung ...
> Hi Richard,
>
> try the following:
>
> Reinhard Wenzel
> An der Leegde 23
> D-29223 Celle
>
> Prof. Dr. Dr. Gerd von der Oelsnitz
> Sankt-Jakob-Str. 3
> D-82211 Germering
>
> For ordering of books etc.
> Elisabeth Meier
> Postfach 110569
> D-46125 Oberhausen
>

> And there's a homepage
> http://www.genealogy.com/gene/tmp/up/pages/vffow.htm

new address is

--
Dr.-Ing. Dietrich Flade
Fraunhofer Institut f|r Betriebsfestigkeit

Date: 1997/12/22 17:07:10
From: Adalbert Goertz <adalbert.goertz(a)pikespeak.com>

verein f Familienforschung in Ost-und Westpreussen
Frau Elisabeth Meier, secretary
Postfach 110569
46125 Oberhausen.
I am a member.

Patronymics

Date: 1997/12/23 00:38:55
From: R11442 <R11442(a)aol.com>

Over the last year have taken a strong interest in the concept of patronymics,
the naming practices in Schleswig-Holstein and Ostfriesland, Germany
1750-1860.   I am in the process of writing a book on the subject.  Basically,
the surnames of offspring would be changed from the surname of the father.
A typical sceanario might be a father RICKLEF PETERS, naming his son PETER
RICKLEFS, by using his given name with addition of the suffix "s" to form the
surname of the child.  One consideration would be that of using as a
possessive form, as in Eng. " 's".
 I am looking for any and all samples for inclusion in this book, as well as
attempting to determine the strength of a rule bound concept.
In addition, looking for any and all samples in the literature of work that
has already been written on this subject.

Thanks for your consideration and help.

Ron Ricklefs
ronrick(a)juno.com                   r11442(a)aol.com (downloads)
FAX (818)363-8837
P. O. Box 7742,  Northridge, CA 91327-7742

Re: Patronymics

Date: 1997/12/23 16:21:04
From: W. Fred Rump <fred(a)k2nesoft.com>

Ron,

This is an interesting topic I wonder if it may relate to my ancestor
Henry (Heinrich ?) Macshem (Maxim(illian ?). I've searched for several
years for details of this ancestor but to no avail. So, perhaps his
family name was actually Heinrichs. He is said to be of German
background, moving to London, England in the 1880s. However, I have
since found a Hungarian / Romanian name Makszem which may be the right
one.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

David :-)

From: "D.G.Mason" <D.Mason(a)sheffield.ac.uk>

Re: Patronymics

Date: 1997/12/24 01:40:53
From: R11442 <R11442(a)aol.com>

Hello David:

The timing here, as always, might be an issue.  The practice, besides being
limited to only a small area of Germany, was outlawed by government decree,
some three times, the latter being in 1822.  There is no doubt that the
practice went on well into the 1860's, probably more often in the rural areas
where land and property ownership subject to inheiritance were less likely.
The assumption of  Heinrich from Heinrichs would be fair, especially if the
geography would have been in the Ostfriesland and/or Schleswig-Holstein area.
Good luck in your search.

Ron Ricklefs

Re: Koberstein

Date: 1997/12/29 00:18:15
From: James Birkholz <birchwd(a)connect.net>

>I am researching the KOBERSTEIN surname, which I know came from Schlochau
>Kries in West Prussia, Czarnikau in Posen, Berlin in Mecklenburg, and other
>places.  If any one has interest in the name or has seen records for this
>name please contact me at koberstein(a)compuserve.com.
>
>thanks

My brother John and I have seen at least one Koberstein in the
Margonin/Samotschin church records to the east of Czarnikau (other side of
Kolmar). A Susanne Koberstein had at least four children with Michael
Birkholz in Laskowo (Seefeld) during the 1820s. It was just southwest of
Samotschin.

I have scans of a detailed map of this area on my web site:
http://www.connect.net/birchwd/Genealogy/Birkholz/G-Birk.html
where you can see these examples:
Map/Scan - Margonin Area, Posen, Prussia (c.1880) [the big scan -- 572k]
Map/Scan - Margonin/Sypniewo only, Posen, Prussia [part of the scan -- 122k]
Map/Scan - Samotschin only, Posen, Prussia [part of the scan -- 68k]

I think the last one has Seefeld, if not, the big one does.

If you'd like, I'm sure we can keep our eyes open for other Kobersteins.

James

SCHILLING- from WENKEWITZ 1881

Date: 1997/12/30 19:40:16
From: Mary E Rydberg <mrydberg(a)juno.com>

JOHN SCHILLING b: 9-15-1856  immigrated in 1881 from
Wenkewitz, West Prussia, Germany. (as spelled by my Aunt who provided
this info)

His brother FRED SCHILLING b: 1864  immig:1888,  moved to Duluth, MN
1889,  d: April 14,1943

The 1890 Census burned.
In the 1900 census the name appeared as Selling, but I have not seen any
of the census data.

I would like to discover the location of Wenkewitz,
the names of their parents and siblings, as well
as other available data.

I would like to learn of their religious affiliations.

The story goes that John purchased a farm
(Rose Road, Solway Township, Near Duluth, St. Louis County, MN), sight
unseen.
This became the family home with additional land aquired by
homesteading(??).
He died in the fire of 1918,  10-12-1918.
He was married on  6-14-1887 to Lena Busch nee:
ADELINA PUSHKOWSKA b: 4-10-1858 in Danzig,  immig: 1886,  d:12-15-1950.
They had eight children.

Emma			m: Emil Ziemer
Martha			m: Emil  Klein  (sp?)
Carl	b: 6-12-1890	m: Ethel Wilson  from Iowa
Edward	b: 6-12-1890	m: Mary Ylen	11-8-1926
Fred			m: Gerta Erickson
Emil			never married
Albert			m: Camilla _______
William			never married

If anyone out there is familiar with this family I would love to hear
from you.
Thanks for any help.
Mary

Re: SCHILLING- from WENKEWITZ 1881

Date: 1997/12/30 20:16:01
From: RMASON4 <RMASON4(a)aol.com>

Mary:

I don't show a WENKEWITZ located in Westpreussen.  Closest I can find is
WENSOWITZ.  Pretty close, don't you think?

Also, I have SCHILLING's in my family, but their original surname was
SCHELANGOWSKI.  Not that yours in not correct but just thought that I'd throw
that out to you.  These names are not always what you think!

Good Hunting,

Russ

Re: SCHILLING- from WENKEWITZ 1881

Date: 1997/12/31 02:40:42
From: Mary E Rydberg <mrydberg(a)juno.com>

Russ,
I'm very happy to get your input.  I know that  names often change as
people leave their homeland and native language.  I just don't quite know
how to get from Great Grandpa Schilling in MN to Great Great Grandpa
Someone in Poland/Germany/ West Prussia.

I'll check my atlas for Wensowitz and hope.
Thanks,
Mary

Date: 1997/12/31 18:28:58
From: Craig M. Kruse. <cmkruse(a)bellsouth.net>

Mary, and Russ
I don't know of any direct connection but I thought I'd throw my SCHILLING's in to the pot. I have also been trying to find out where in Germany my side originated with out any success.  Here's what I have so far on my SCHILLING ancestors:

DORATHEA SCHILLING

Headstone lists age at death as 70 years, 5 months, and 2 days.
Birth date calculated from the headstone age and death date indicates
birth was on Sunday April 25, 1830. Research required.

Obituary contained within the Schindel Family reunion notebook, July 13, 1997;

Obituary 3-27-1900

Mrs. Dorothea Schindel was born Dec. 25, 1829 in Germany. She had the privilege of an early Christian education and training and was taken as a member into the church by confirmation. She immigrated to this county in 1855, in her 25th year, and for several months lived in Delphos, Ohio. During this time she was married to Jacob Schindel, afterwards moving to near Spencerville, O., where they have lived ever since. It was in 1855 when the young married couple settled on their present farm - quite a wilderness in those days. Here they labored and toiled and shared with each other days of joy and days of sorrow, for 45 years. To this union were born 10 children - 6 sons and 4 daughters, 2 sons and 2 daughters of this number already departed. Four sons and two daughters, her aged husband, 15 grand children and a host of friends survive her and mourn over her departure.
She lived a quiet, sincere Christian life; she fought "a good fight" as is becoming for a woman in her proper sphere.    S.

Group sheet from Schindel family reunion, July 13, 1997 lists birth date and location as: December 25, 1829, Untinhein, Germany  (Research note: Unable to establish the existence of Untinhein, Germany. Possible misspelling or other error in documentation. Source material for the original group sheets needs to be researched.)

Arrived in America in 1855. Probably traveled with Jacob Schindel from
Germany and then married in America. (Research note: a review of "Germans to America" by Filby shows no Schindel or Schilling passengers for this time period. Additional passenger list research required.)

She had two sisters and a brother. Margaret Schilling who married Wendel
Eysenbach in Germany in 1838, came to America in 1851. They had 4 sons
and a daughter. Christina Schilling married Mr. Schwamp
George Schilling married Maria Eysenbach on September 28, 1861.
(Source-Allen Co. Ohio Marriage records)
(Source - Wendel Eysenbach Biography, pp 632-633, Biographical Sketches,
Marion twp.)
Lived around Delphos, Marion twp., Allen co. Ohio.

Additional research and/or possible unrelated information:

Schilling, Dorathea  23 FARMER  Ship: Carolus Magnus from Havre to New York, arrived August 9, 1854 "Germans to America" p.18 Philby

There is a listing in The Index to Estates & Civil Cases 1835 -1926 (Allen County, Ohio?) LDS FHC Film # 0901426, Page 501, 1-324 3473, Schilling, Geo. dec'd Mary Schilling Admn D-22

A Mary Schilling, of Delphos, Ohio, attended the funeral of William C. Schindel

West Side Cemetery, Delphos, Ohio
Schilling, Charles 1870-1941 Sec 11 Row 5 (monument inscription reading)
Schilling, Julius George 1879-1946 Sec 6 Row 5 (monument inscription reading)
Schilling, Marie 6-4-1840 1-12-1919 Sec 11 Row 5 (monument inscription reading)
Shilling, George 37y,3m,19d 1887 Sec 11 Row 5 (monument inscription reading)

A Joseph Shilling (different spelling) is mentioned in "History of Van
Wert and Mercer Counties, Ohio" R. Sutton & Co.,1882 (reprint 1991)
including the following:

Joseph Shilling who was connected with the hotel business at Little
Sandusky from 1835 until the removal of the Wyandots from their old
reservation in 1844, and who had been, during many years on friendly
terms with the educated members of that tribe, came to Van Wert in 1855.
(Research note: No connection to Dorathea has been established but the possibility exists that this could be her father and the name spelling would be without the "c". Additional research required.)

Best of Luck
Craig

cmkruse(a)bellsouth.net

I'm very happy to get your input.  I know that  names often change as
people leave their homeland and native language.  I just don't quite know
how to get from Great Grandpa Schilling in MN to Great Great Grandpa
Someone in Poland/Germany/ West Prussia.

I'll check my atlas for Wensowitz and hope.
Thanks,
Mary

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:59:58 EST RMASON4 <RMASON4(a)aol.com> writes:
>Mary:
>
>I don't show a WENKEWITZ located in Westpreussen.  Closest I can find
>is
>WENSOWITZ.  Pretty close, don't you think?
>
>Also, I have SCHILLING's in my family, but their original surname was
>SCHELANGOWSKI.  Not that yours in not correct but just thought that
>I'd throw
>that out to you.  These names are not always what you think!
>
>Good Hunting,
>
>Russ

<<application/ms-tnef>>

Re: SCHILLING- from WENKEWITZ 1881

Date: 1997/12/31 19:37:49
From: RMASON4 <RMASON4(a)aol.com>

Craig & Mary:

I don't think we would have a connection.

My SCHILLING immigrated in 1883 to Detroit, MI.  He married my great aunt in
1898.
As far as I've been able to determine, he came by himself.

You folks have a great New Year!

Regards,

Russ

Occupational Research

Date: 1997/12/31 20:41:03
From: RMASON4 <RMASON4(a)aol.com>

I was wondering........

My ancestors were farmers, probably working for someone else.

Knowing where they originated, would it be possible to determine who they
worked for?

I know this is "off the wall," but I was just curious.

Regards,

Russ