KennettW
Re: [OL]Re:Brengelmann
Datum 2002/03/02 17:09:26
Karin Jacob
[OL]Löningen und Haselünne
2002/03/02 10:48:04
heikoahlers
Re: [OL]Use of the word "genant."
Betreff 2002/03/02 22:59:09
W. Fred Rump
Re: [OL]Use of the word "genant."
2002/03/25 12:30:07
Dieter Roeben
Re: [OL]Band 110 und Band 108 Starke Verlag, Deutsches Geschlechterbuch
Autor 2002/03/03 18:11:52
FalkLiebe
Re: [OL]Lunschen Ricklefs, Hartwarden

Re: [OL]Use of the word "genant."

Date: 2002/03/02 15:53:11
From: FalkLiebe <FalkLiebe(a)...

Hello Mrs. 97,

The "genannt" of Ernest Thode is the same as the "genant" in the St. Andreas
records. I would translate it to "also known as" (aka), "called", "alias".
It refers to name changes. Those might occur when a girl inherited a farm and
her husband had to adapt to the farm name, a "normal" procedure in the region
well into the 20th century. It is still possible to do so if a farm name would
die out otherwise. You could also find it in Latin as "sive" or "condictus,
condicta" or abbreviated "cdct." and the initial "c" mirrored to indicate that
is is an abbreviation.
That name change would occur as well when you inherited or bought a farm.

I grew up in a small village where everyone had an everyday name and a "school"
or "bureaucracy name". The everyday name was the farm name such as "Greten,
Orns, Dietz, Loames, Sander, Hensel" etc.

Sincerely yours

Falk Liebezeit
08081952