Allen T.
[HN] Gartenweg 6 Response
Datum 2006/12/18 12:17:28
chg . C . Haupt
[HN] Neue eMail / new e-mail
2006/12/16 22:33:51
J b
Re: [HN] Eter or Ether name in Hannover
Betreff 2006/12/03 11:54:13
Bernd H . Siebert
[HN] FEHRMANN, Adolf
2006/12/16 17:04:46
320097756779-0001
Re: [HN] Wallhermfechtel
Autor 2006/12/18 13:14:18
320097756779-0001
Re: [HN] Schwarzen Chronicle Question

Re: [HN] Eter or Ether name in Hannover

Date: 2006/12/18 12:11:43
From: 320097756779-0001 <320097756779-0001(a)...

Hi Pedro,

be welcomed to the list also by me. Without a given place name it will remain some sort of lottery to find a connection. Made a telephone cd research for your names ETER and ETHER, none of the few bearers of the name live in hannover, respectively Lower-Saxony. there are 9 ETHER in and around Düsseldorf, North-Rhine-Westfalia and 27 ETER. The latter ones also almost all in North-Rhine-Westfalia, one in Waldeck, which is Hessen and one in Osnabrück. Seems as if no one has settled more north anytime. One ETHER can be found in 1998 in Ellerbek nearby Hamburg and Pinneberg in Schleswig-Holstein.

What`s more: Depends on how your name was traditioned after emigration. In Low-German "eten" means what in High-german speech is "essen", common meaning by that "eating". If you anchestors spoke Low-German you might count with a very slight pssibilty with a change in Name from ESSER to ETER. Of course also Low-German speakers kept normally the given name. ESSER is a very widespread name, you will find it also in Lower-Saxony. If your name source is a handwritten document, you should make clear, that there is no misreading, the old "s" and "ss" look a bit alike other upstanding letters. "t" and "h" are such upstanding letters too.

Another possibility is another change, as for example from ERTH, ERTHEL, ERTEL etc.. to ET(H)ER. ERTHEL again is spread in North-Rhine-Westfalia, but you will find two ERTH in Hannover, ERTEL are some in Barsinghausen.

As it is a problem to find bearers of the name at all in Lower Saxony with the one of your names, it is the problem the other way around with the second name LÜDER or LUDER, which is very common. There about 1000 different entries for Germany.

Sorry, but there is no better news.

Best wishes Hans Peter Albers, Bienenbüttel