J b
Re: [HN] 184th General Hospital at WWII
Datum 2006/12/17 07:47:36
Cactus Flower
Re: [HN] Schwarzen Chronicle Question
2006/12/17 01:10:28
Brouwers
Re: [HN] 19th century German censuses PS

Date: 2006/12/17 05:39:40
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)...

Hello,

         The LDS do not restrict films on their own.  My sister has
volunteered at a LDS center in Nebr. for 30 years.  She is not Mormon, but
Catholic like me.  She says restrictions on those films have to be by the
church's request or the government for census records, etc. The whole reason
the LDS copies records is that they can be read by people and - not just
Mormons. Their goal is to have all records from everywhere online for free
in 10 years!

      I didn't mean to suggest that you should go to Germany and copy
records yourself!  We did that because we were traveling to Europe in 2002
anyway.  It is not cheap. You pay to get into the place and get charged  a
lot for each copy you make. I can't remember the exact prices, but you won't
save a whole lot doing it yourself! There is a center in Meppen that has the
Catholic records from the Osnabrück diocese and they charge 16 Euro per hour
to do the research for you. That is not bad since they are much more
familiar with the records and know where to look! You can also go there and
do research yourself:
http://www.KGVerband-Meppen.de/familienforschung.html

    I have to admit I have not ordered any records from there because I am a
stubborn do-it-yourselfer. However, I have had a lot of help from other
people and I never stop searching the internet.

    I have gathered a lot of sources and records from the Catholic area
along the border with the Netherlands,  commonly called Emsland.  Werner
from this list told me about Emsland some years ago--thank you very much!
I'm always willing to help.

Barbara