Larry Knigga, Ph.D.
[HN] Wortmann aus Oldendorf amt Melle (Follow-up)
Datum 2006/01/27 07:24:45
J b
RE: [HN] Wortmann aus Oldendorf amt Melle
2006/01/24 03:15:21
Delores Kikuchi
[HN] POW Camp
Betreff 2006/01/27 08:27:06
J b
RE: [HN] POW Camps
2006/01/23 23:46:11
shirley greiman
[HN] POW Camp
Autor 2006/01/01 07:02:04
SngKetner
[HN] Re: Hannover-L Nachrichtensammlung, Band 25, Eint rag 76

[HN] POW Camps

Date: 2006/01/26 23:52:18
From: shirley greiman <shirleygreiman(a)...

  Here goes Jb..and to those who replied about the POW camps on highy 18
  in Iowa.

  From my brother who is 10  years older than me sent this to me as I
  thought perhaps he could lend a bit of history etc.  Interesting what
  I learned from it too.

  Shirley
  Shirley,

  This is a little of what I remember of the POWs.

  There was a POW camp at Algona during WWII.  I don't remember why, but
  some of the prisoners were
  transported to work projects in the North Iowa area from time to time.

  Quite frequently the buses with prisoners would stop in Garner at Ron
  Yohn's Shell station for gas and
  maybe a rest room stop. As you remember Dad could speak German, so he
  could communicate with the
  prisoners.  Whenever he saw the buses in Garner, he'd stop and visit
  with them.  Because their were so
  few people who spoke German or didn't take the time to visit with the
  prisoners , they really appreciated
  Dad's visits.  They said they looked forward to their visits.  He
  became a very good friend of theirs.

  Dad stated most of the prisoners were nice young men and said they
  enjoyed it here in the States.
  They said they were well fed, well treated and didn't have to fight in
  the War.

  The POWs created a very large and beautiful Nativity Scene.  When the
  War was over and the POWs
  returned to their native Germany, they presented the Nativity Scene to
  the community of Algona in
  appreciation for the kind treatment they received.

  Each Christmas Season the Nativity Scene the POWs made continues to be
  erected and continues
  to attract thousands from Northern Iowa and Southern Minnesota.

  If the Algona area had a problem with the POWs, I never heard about
  it.

  Don't know if this is any help to you or not.

  Don