J b
RE: [HN] Speckman
Re: [HN] Heinrich George Christoph Gotlieb VOGES
2006/01/18 22:23:30
gale
Re: [HN] (no subject)
Betreff 2006/01/19 16:08:12
bmspeckman
Re: [HN] (no subject)
Re: [HN] Familie Keitel
Re: [HN] Heinrich George Christoph Gotlieb VOGES

Re: [HN] (no subject)

Date: 2006/01/18 23:18:59
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)...

Hi Barney,

      If your great grandfather's name was Friedrich Ferdinand Speckmann,
then he may be the one on an emigration list from the Osnabrück area.  There
is a person listed from Dom (Haste,Schinkel).  I'm not positive, but I think
those may be in or near the city of Osnabrück (from  my map it looks that
way).  He could have changed the spelling of the first name, and if the
middle name fits and if he dropped the second n in the name, this could be
your man.  If so, you can order records on him.  Speckman(n) seems to be a
fairly common German name.

      There are 4 other Speckmanns listed in the emigration archives:

    Speckmann, August Ferdinand    18388
    Speckmann, Cathrine Ilse    18149
    Speckmann, Dietrich Wilhelm    18388
    Speckmann, Marie Sophie 18388

      These are from the town of Uchte.

     On the other hand, there is a Friedr. Speckmann age 28 with a wife
Auguste age 20 on a ship from Hamburg in 1857:

http://immigrantships.net/v4/1800v4/main18570525.html

     Maybe first wife died before he met Anna Stoppler?  If he had 19 kids
there would probably be two wives.  Lots of women died in childbirth.

    According to your records he would have been 13 when he came to the USA?

     You should run some searches on these sites:

http://geneanet.org/
http://meta.genealogy.net/metasuche/index.jsp
  www.familysearch.org  (the LDS site that may have some clues for you.)

    Maybe you've already looked at those sites.

      I see that he is F.F. Speakman in the 1880 census in San Francisco.
Maybe he is the guy in the emigration archives--Friedrich Ferdinand in the
first paragraph above.

Good luck,
Barbara