pharmaxx
[HN] Hanover
Datum 2006/01/09 20:56:49
Björn Sassenberg
Re: [HN] Hanover
2006/01/09 19:02:12
pharmaxx
[HN] Hanover
Betreff 2006/01/09 20:56:49
Björn Sassenberg
Re: [HN] Hanover
2006/01/09 19:02:12
pharmaxx
[HN] Hanover
Autor 2006/01/11 04:27:34
pharmaxx
[HN] Burgdorf Family

[HN] Hanover

Date: 2006/01/09 19:19:46
From: pharmaxx <pharmaxx(a)...

I thank all who responded to my post re the Kingdom of Hanover. I have printed some of the replies in the event I am succsessful in my search.
This is what I am trying to do. I am searching for the birthplace, baptismal location, etc of my ggrandfather Julis Wilhelm Burgdorf. He states on a document he attested to in New Orleans that he was born 'in Hildesheim in Hanover', about 1825. A search by a professional genealogist in Germany of both Catholic and Evangelical church records in the city of Hildesheim was fruitless. This researcher told me that Hildesheim can refer to a 'territory' as well as the city. I understand this to be similar to  a county or state in the US. and that all towns, villages in that 'territory are possible targets of my search. It occurs to me that I need access to a map of the Hildesheim 'territory' so that I can identify them by name. I then might be able to find a church resouce, like an archdiocese that may have records. While I think he was evangelical I cannot rule out that he was Catholic. I have an early 1900s picture of my father holding what appears to be bible and most obviously prayer beads. Yet the obituary of his father has a masonic emblem.
To be honest I do not know how to proceed. I have looked at a Hildesheim census records from LDS film, again no luck. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Max