Cheryl Endicott
Re: [HN] VON BRUNS Research
Datum 2004/05/18 19:08:50
Klaus Riecken
[HN] Fw: Bex Maaseik - Zusammenfassung aller Infos, die durch die Liste gingen
2004/05/18 16:33:25
Ottypotty
[HN] Surname help please
Betreff 2004/05/18 21:30:36
"Jürgen E.W. Meyer"
Re: [HN] Surname help please
Re: [HN] Haseluenne Catholic Church
Re: [HN] Wehrkamp

Re: [HN] Surname help please

Date: 2004/05/18 18:59:14
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)...

Hi,

    It's not true that the Germans before 1872 did not have surnames.
Rather, they may not have had a uniform spelling of the surname.  In church
(and other) records it is more likely that the name was spelled according to
what the person heard.  I could guess if you go back to pre-1500 where there
are few  recorded documents, somewhere back there, they did not have
surnames (except royalty perhaps). However, sometime ago, I read about
villages in Bavaria that the Jews did not have surnames, until more recent
times. They were told to take a surname at some point.

     If possible, you could look at the LDS records for the town of
Otterstedt:

  Kirchenbuch, 1715-1852  Evangelische Kirche Otterstedt (Kr. Achim)

    I know that doesn't hold the records for your ancestor because of the
date, but you would certainly know how many names there were with that name.

Barbara