Genealogie van Luttikhuizen
Re: [HN] Hardenberg (Einbeck)
Datum 2003/09/19 00:06:51
.... valentine53179
Re: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record
2003/09/18 05:04:54
Robert Block
[HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record
Betreff 2003/09/19 00:06:51
.... valentine53179
Re: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record
2003/09/20 18:00:22
Rose Green
Re: [HN] Hartwig
Autor 2003/09/04 21:33:25
Tamara Kauffman
[HN] Surname CANANKAMP

RE: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record

Date: 2003/09/18 17:43:15
From: Steve Smith <sksmith_nl(a)...

Last time I was in Germany, I had great difficulty trying to do this. As you've indicated, the house number is not like a street address. It's similar to assigning a number to every house in the village, but, I can't tell you if there's any rhyme or reason to the numbering system. You have to locate the maps made of the village during the time period you're interested in - most likely in the same State Archive where the parish registers are stored. It was a few years ago when I did this, but if memory serves me correctly, you have to cross-reference more than one set of books and maps, which eventually might get you to a map of the house, which you then overlay on a modern map of the village. I had to give up after a while. Of course, I can only speak of my own experience - maybe it depends on the records available for your particular village. This might be something better suited for a hired researcher, though they are expensive. I'm sure there are others out there who have a better idea of how this works. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Steve