Monatsdigest

[HN] Hanover Census

Date: 2003/09/01 01:31:20
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Dear Fred,
Dear Readers,

I am sorry that I sent my e-mails as an anonymous Jens during the
past days. My e-mail program has accidently wiped out my
signature and I was not aware that you received my postings only
signed with Jens ("not Jens Kaufmann").

I just have put the new version of the Hanover 1852 census website
online. 2104 Family names are indexed yet. Not much, but it is
a start. You might consider to take a look at www.edition-hist.de

Best greetings from Bremen, Germany,

Jens

Jens Mueller-Koppe
HISTORICAL RESEARCH SERVICES, Germany (HRS)
Schanzendorfer Str. 9B
D - 28307 Bremen
Germany
www.hist.de

1852 Hanover Census Project
www.edition-hist.de

[HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/01 01:40:53
From: Richard A B <zxcqwe123(a)netzero.net>

How are these census records filed on the LDS -- by the town?  I have never
been able to find any in their on-line catalog, but maybe am not looking
under the right subtitltes. Can anyone give an example of how they found the
census records for a specific place in Hanover on the LDS site?

---Richard
Date: 2003/09/01 03:51:30
From: CLKrieter <CLKrieter(a)aol.com>

On FamilySearch try to find it through PLACE search:  Hannover
Then choose Census.  You will get a list of Gerichtsakten by Amtsgericht.  If
you know the general area of your town you should be able to narrow down
which film you need.  Most of what I found was just statistical data, but I did
get lucky with finding good census data for my area for 1852 and 1855!  (I only
wish I could find more.)
Good Searching!

Cindy Krieter
CA, USA
CLKrieter(a)aol.com

[HN] German Census

Date: 2003/09/01 22:03:50
From: Gale Bosche <THEBOSCHBOSCHE(a)astound.net>

Hello to all those on the list.

For 40 or more years my family has been trying to locate the home town of the Bösche family in Germany.  We had some word of mouth information which indicated Anderten.
However, we never got any closer.

Last summer, I had the opportunity to look at my grandfather's original records at Zion Lutheran Church in Crawford Co. Iowa.  His birth place was listed as: Anderten Amt. Hoya Hanover.  I typed "Anderten Amt. Hoya Hanover" in the Address line while on the internet and got a hit.  edition-hist.de.  It was quickly confirmed that my grandfather and other known relatives were listed in that census!!!

Regardless what the purpose was for the 1852 census, if it had not been taken, we would still be searching the town of Anderten/Hanover.

The bottom line is that the more records that are dug up from their dormant storage locations, the more ancestors we find and the more history perserved. I thank everyone for their efforts in their  efforts to do this.

Gale Bösche

[HN] Questions, please ...

Date: 2003/09/01 23:16:10
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Dear Listers,

My problem: is this: My ancestor JOHANN ALBERT CHRISTIAN RIPPE (who went by the name of ALBERT RIPPE) was born 31 Jan 1804 and two days later was christened in the EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE in the town of WECHOLT, which is located near the city of HOYA. On 26 Dec 1824 in WECHOLT, ALBERT married CATHARINA MARGARETHE OTTERMANN. CATHARINA died on 18 Feb 1845. And, at sometime after CATHARINA's death and before December 1850 when ALBERT appears in the 1850 U. S. Census, residing in Brazoria, Texas, ALBERT immigrated to the U.S.

Although I have searched every where I know, I have been unable to find the dates, the ship or the ports involved in ALBERT's immigration. I would welcome any response that might lead me to this information. If there is a professional genealogist familiar with the WECHOLT area and the possible benefits of the "Hannover Censuses", I would very much like to make arrangements with you.

With thanks to each of you who took the time to read this and with hope that, if you have any ideas, you will contact me,

Sincerely,
Newton Brand
Houston, Texas

Re: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/01 23:39:43
From: Richard A B <zxcqwe123(a)netzero.net>

Cindy

Thanks for the tip.  I don't know whta Gerichtsakten by Amtsgericht could
be, but I will take your word.  I do know the various little villages where
they lived (Uelsen and Bimolten were the places of birth of the old grandpa
and grandma) but Lemke and other places were also mentioned by their
descendants.  And I found the grandma's family baptized in big city of
Nord...  Well you can tell my German isn't worth anything...

---Richard
> On FamilySearch try to find it through PLACE search:  Hannover
> Then choose Census.  You will get a list of Gerichtsakten by Amtsgericht.
If
> you know the general area of your town you should be able to narrow down
> which film you need.  Most of what I found was just statistical data, but
I did
> get lucky with finding good census data for my area for 1852 and 1855!  (I
only
> wish I could find more.)
> Good Searching!
>
> Cindy Krieter
> CA, USA
> CLKrieter(a)aol.com

Re: [HN] Questions, please ...

Date: 2003/09/01 23:43:04
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)comcast.net>

Hello,
     You might look at this ship list arriving in Galveston in 1849 with
persons with the name Rippe on it.  There is a Christian who is a farmer
coming from  Hofa (Hoya) and he's a farmer, but obviously his age listed as
10 could hardly be right:

  http://www.immigrantships.net/v4/1800v4/franziska18491206.html

     Also, have you looked at the archives from which you can get emigration
information  -- there are Rippes listed there:
     http://app.staatsarchive.niedersachsen.de/findbuch/
     If you choose Hannover, then go to Index, then fill in the search box
with the surname Rippe, choose personen and then choose Suche Starten and
you will receive a list of many Rippes.  Then, you click the number on the
right and it will give a code you would use to order records.  Many codes
are numbers are similiar as though several people from the same area came
together.  The 2 Johns with longer names show Hoya.  You can order records
from the archives (which will give you much more information) with those
codes. Perhaps you can read German and therefore can move around that
website better  than I did when I first tried it!
Good luck

on 9/1/03 3:16 PM, Newton Brand at nbrand(a)houston.rr.com wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> My problem: is this:
>
> My ancestor JOHANN ALBERT CHRISTIAN RIPPE  (who went by the name of
> ALBERT RIPPE) was born 31 Jan 1804 and two days later was christened in
> the EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE in the town of WECHOLT, which is located near
> the city of HOYA.  On 26 Dec 1824 in WECHOLT, ALBERT married CATHARINA
> MARGARETHE OTTERMANN.  CATHARINA died on 18 Feb 1845.  And, at sometime
> after CATHARINA's death and before December 1850 when ALBERT appears in
> the 1850 U. S. Census, residing in Brazoria, Texas, ALBERT immigrated to
> the U.S.
>
> Although I have searched every where I know, I have been unable to find
> the dates, the ship or the ports involved in ALBERT's immigration.  I
> would welcome any response that might lead me to this information. If
> there is a professional genealogist familiar with the WECHOLT area and
> the possible benefits of the "Hannover Censuses", I would very much like
> to make arrangements with you.
>
> With thanks to each of you who took the time to read this and with hope
> that, if you have any ideas, you will contact me,
>
> Sincerely,
> Newton Brand
> Houston, Texas

[HN] Hannover Censuses Microfilmed by the LDS Church

Date: 2003/09/02 00:42:44
From: Frances Faitt <2franf8(a)vei.net>

Hannover Census Records: The census records that have been microfilmed and
are available at the LDS Family History Library are listed on this page...

http://home.att.net/~arnielang/HannoverCensus.html

Re: [HN] Hannover Censuses Microfilmed by the LDS Church

Date: 2003/09/02 02:38:41
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Hi Frances Faitt,
Thanks so very much for the list of Hannover Census records and the news-to-me that the records are available on microfilm from LDS.

I realize that I must first determine which of the items on the list would most likely include the WECHOLT/WECHOLD area of my RIPPE. (Actually my RIPPE line goes back to a 1670 birth in the town of EITZENDORF which is very near, I'm told, to WECHOLT, and a generation in MARTFELD, also very close, before the line ends in WECHOLT.)

I don't read German and I really need to translate the following words on your list:

Gerichtsakten
Amtsgericht Gerichtsakten
Standesamt Gerichtsakten
Amtsgericht Volkszahlung

and the last three on the list:

Hannover: Erganzungskarte fur Angaben uber Abstammung und Vorbildung Deutschland. Reichssippenamt Volkszahlung

Hildesheim

Osnabruck

Would you, or some other lister, know the translation for the words above? And, also, would you, or some other lister, know which of the items on the list would most likely include the towns of WECHOLT, EITZENDORF, MARTFELD town, all of which are close to the city of HOYA? I note that the second item on the list refers to "Bruchhausen (Kr. hoya, Hannover)" and, on the second page, an item refers to "Hoya (Hannover)".
Again, thanks!

Newton Brand

Date: 2003/09/02 03:41:13
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Hi R&B Stewart,

Thanks so much for your response to my query. Yes, I am aware of the three surnamed RIPPEs on the 1849 Franziska crossing. The two girls are ALBERT RIPPE's children and I'm pretty sure that Chris is his nephew. And, your're right, Chris' age was not 10 but 16, still a bit young for a farmer, I think. I've not been successful in, as you state, "choose Hannover, then go to Index, then fill in the search box with the name Rippe", choose personen and then choose Suche Starten" and then receive a list of many Rippes. This is what I did: As I read it, the drop-down gave me three choices, the top one was "Hauptstaatsarchiv Hannover. etc". I selected it as the other two did not mention "Hannover" at all. Then I clicked on "Abschicken" but that didn't go anywhere. So I was not able to get to the "Index". I hate to bother you more with this, but would appreciate your enlightening me as to what I'm doing wrong. I do not read German at all but I do very much want to follow through on this. Another question, please: You mention ordering records from the Archives. I am certainly prepared to do that but, in another response I've had to my query, the responder referred to LDS microfilm records and attached two and one half pages of titles which I presume to be the Census records. Do you know if the LDS microfilm includes everything that would be available from Hannover source? Again with apology for requesting additional information but great appreciation for your response,

Newton Brand

Date: 2003/09/02 06:56:35
From: Frances Faitt <2franf8(a)vei.net>

Newton, translation is one thing, and meaning another.  I use Babel Fish
(http://babelfish.altavista.com) to gain insight into the meaning of various
phrases.  Babel Fish translation is entered in line below:

On 9/1/03 7:38 PM, "Newton Brand" <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com> wrote:
> I don't read German and I really need to translate the following words
> on your list:
>
> Gerichtsakten
= Court Records
> Amtsgericht Gerichtsakten
= District Court Records
> Standesamt Gerichtsakten
= Registers Office Court Records
> Amtsgericht
=District court
>Volkszahlung
= People's Payment

> and the last three on the list:
>
> Hannover: Erganzungskarte (map)
fur Angaben (indicated)
uber (more)
Abstammung (descent)
und (and)
Vorbildung (training)
> Deutschland. Reichssippenamt
= Realm Office for kinship
>Volkszahlung
=  peoples payment

> Hildesheim
>
> Osnabruck
>
> Would you, or some other lister, know the translation for the words
> above?

Try this map:
http://www.diepholz.city-map.de/city/db/011708000000/Martfeld.html

Date: 2003/09/02 09:34:24
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Hi Frances, Hi Newton,
Dear readers,

The mentioned website
http://home.att.net/~arnielang/HannoverCensus.html
has indeed the list of the LSD films of Hanover census records.

Please do not take it as searching for something to quibble about if
I add some short remarks.

1)
The correct body/instituation for all theses census records should
be the "Amt", not the "Amtsgericht" (the area adiministration, not
the court). This is important for anybody searching for these
records in Hanover itself, after we can find the "Amt" holdings under
the signatures starting with Hann. 74 ... (for instance Hann. 74
Hoya) while the ones of the "Amtgericht" have signatures starting
with Hann. 72.

2)
The Hanover Archive signatures and the way the Hanover holdings
are organized are based on the Amt organization after the big
administration reform of 1859. This means that you can find a lot of
towns and villages under a different Amt compared with the 1852
situation. Martfeld, Wechold and Eitzendorf are good examples for
this fact which might cause some confusion: Until 1852 all three
villages belonged to the Amt Hoya, from 1852 to 1859 to the new
Amt Martfeld, from 1859 on Martfeld belonged to the Amt
Bruchhausen, while Eitzendorf and Wechold belonged to the Amt
Hoya again after the Amt Martfeld had been closed down again in
1859. You will find the 1852 census of all three villages in the
holdings of the Amt Hoya after the holdings were usually not
divided after 1852 even if Ämter were split or changed.

3)
Some of the information in the LDS catalogue are wrong. There
never has been a Amtsgericht or Amt in Garlstorf, Amelinghausen,
Bardowick or Hohenmoor. In these cases a name of one village in
the records has obviously been taken as the name of the Amt.
There was no "Standesamt" in Uslar in the 1850s. It should say
Amt here as well.

4)
Almost all of these films contain a number of other records than the
1852 and some inly census-like records. This is surely not a fault,
but an advantage after researchers who already know where their
ancestors came from can check different records of different
periods of time.

5)
There are some films which do not include the 1852 census, any
even some which do not include any real complete census at all
(like Fallingbostel)

6)
It`s important to know that the LDS films only cover a portion of the
175 Ämter and 45 cities (which did not belong to any Amt) which
existed in 1852. Most. but not all of the 1852 census records
preserved in the State Archive Hanover were filmed. No census
record filming had been done yet in the State Archive Stade,
Osnabrück and Aurich (all three archives have a lot of census
records) and in the relevant Kreisarchive (some Kreise have never
handed over their 19th century census records to the State
Archives). Most of the cities still have their census records (if
preserved) in their own archives and they do not plan to hand them
over to the State Archives. LDS has filmed census records in the
town archives of Hildesheim and Emden, but not in the other town
archives.

An example:
I will be at the town archive of the small city of Bodenwerder on
Thursday and Friday. They have a complete set of census records
from the not very detailed census of the 1830s and 1840s to the
detailed censuses taken in the 1850s and 1860s. But it took me
some weeks (almost months) to find out after the honorary town
archivist himself was sure that they do not have such records in
their holdings.

Well, that`s all for today.

Best greetings from Bremen, Germany,

Jens

P.S.: My wife`s family is from Wechold and Eitzendorf. They were
the owners of the old mill in Wechold for some decades and some
lines of her ancestry go back to 1700 in Eitzendorf.

Date: 2003/09/02 12:23:22
From: Leslie <peas32(a)erols.com>

I'm having the same problem as I don't read German. Which group would
include Bothel,Brokel and Kirchwalsede?
Thanks for any help.
Leslie

Date: 2003/09/02 13:39:47
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Dear Leslie,

> I'm having the same problem as I don't read German. Which group would
> include Bothel,Brokel and Kirchwalsede? Thanks for any help. Leslie

These three villages belonged to the Amt Rotenburg.

The census records of Kirchwalsede (527 inhabitants in 1852),
Bothel (518 inhabitants) and Brockel (312 inhabitants) were not
filmed by the LDS. They are either at the State Archive Stade or at
the Kreisarchiv Rotenburg in Bremervörde.

Date: 2003/09/02 14:16:57
From: Frances Faitt <2franf8(a)vei.net>

Jens,  Thank you for the good advice and for the information provided in
your email.  Understanding the historical background and the socio-political
structure is as important as learning the language.  --Frances

Date: 2003/09/02 16:25:05
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Thanks very much, Frances, for not only the translations but the beautiful maps you also attached. I will be using the "babelfish" link you provided to translate other information that I have accumulated. Again thanks! Newton

Frances Faitt wrote:

Hannover Census Records: The census records that have been microfilmed and
are available at the LDS Family History Library are listed on this page...

http://home.att.net/~arnielang/HannoverCensus.html

[HN] Possible mistranslation of LDS entry

Date: 2003/09/02 17:28:36
From: Robert Block <r.block(a)cox.net>

In the LDS catalog for the city of Venne, Hannover
there is listed the following item

"Die Stammbäume der Venner Vollerben, Halberben und Erbkötter  Mielke, Adolf"

It is a film of a book.

the LDS notes in English say that this is
"Genealogy of the landholders of Venne, Hannover, Germany."

I don't believe it!

Would some kind soul with better German than I take a crack at translating the
German language title given above?

Robert Block
Santa Barbara California

Re: [HN] Possible mistranslation of LDS entry

Date: 2003/09/02 17:55:30
From: Fred Kattau <fred(a)kattslair.com>

The LDS entry is a description, not a translation. Landholders are vollerben = owners of original farm, Halberben = owner of half an original farm, and Erbkotter = small farmers. Actually they probably didn't own it in our sense but that should be close enough. So stammbaume is a listing of families of Venner = Venne of landholders
Another Fred

--
My reality check bounced.

Re: [HN] Hannover Censuses Microfilmed by the LDS Church

Date: 2003/09/02 19:14:13
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Hi Jens,

I appreciate the interesting information on WECHOLD, EITZENDORF and MARTFELD and the recordkeeping of their censuses over the years. It's also interesting to hear of your wife's family connections to EITZENDORF. Thanks! Newton

hrs(a)hist.de wrote:

Hi Frances, Hi Newton,
Dear readers,

The mentioned website

Date: 2003/09/02 19:42:00
From: Wilfried Petersen <Wilfried.Petersen(a)t-online.de>

"Frances Faitt" <2franf8(a)vei.net> schrieb:
> Newton, translation is one thing, and meaning another.  I use Babel Fish
> (http://babelfish.altavista.com) to gain insight into the meaning of various
> phrases.  Babel Fish translation is entered in line below:
>
> On 9/1/03 7:38 PM, "Newton Brand" <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com> wrote:
> > I don't read German and I really need to translate the following words
> > on your list:
> >Volkszahlung
> = People's Payment

Hi,

that's not the right spelling in German. It must be:
Volkszaehlung = Census

Greetings from Germany
Wilfried

Re: [HN] Possible mistranslation of LDS entry

Date: 2003/09/02 19:47:51
From: Fred Rump <FredRump(a)earthlink.net>

On 2 Sep 2003 at 8:28, Robert Block wrote:

 > In the LDS catalog for the city of Venne, Hannover
> there is listed the following item
>
> "Die Stammbäume der Venner Vollerben, Halberben und Erbkötter  Mielke,
> Adolf"
>
> It is a film of a book.
>
> the LDS notes in English say that this is
> "Genealogy of the landholders of Venne, Hannover, Germany."
>
> I don't believe it!

If the title is correct it would definitely be a genealogy of the
main farm groups of Venne. You won't find any landless
people and it therefore is something more like a genealogy
of those who were at the upper end of the social scale and
had land which they could pass onto their children by paying
the Aufahrt taxes.

In other trust the LDS in this case.

Fred

 26 Warren St.
Beverly, NJ 08010
FredRump(a)earthlink.net
609-386-6846
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,
it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain (1835 -
1910)

Re: [HN] Hannover Censuses Microfilmed by the LDS Church

Date: 2003/09/02 20:12:55
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Hi to Wilfried Petersen, thanks for the information and all the best wishes from Newton Brand in Houston, Texas in the U.S.A.

Wilfried Petersen wrote:

"Frances Faitt" <2franf8(a)vei.net> schrieb:
Newton, translation is one thing, and meaning another.  I use Babel Fish
(http://babelfish.altavista.com) to gain insight into the meaning of various
phrases.  Babel Fish translation is entered in line below:

On 9/1/03 7:38 PM, "Newton Brand" <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com> wrote:
I don't read German and I really need to translate the following words
on your list:
Volkszahlung
= People's Payment
Hi,

that's not the right spelling in German. It must be:
Volkszaehlung = Census
Greetings from Germany
Wilfried

[HN] Search in Venne, Hannover

Date: 2003/09/02 20:38:38
From: Carolyn Bening <cbening(a)earthlink.net>

Robert,
I noticed your interest in LDS films for Venne, Hannover.  My husband's
family, in Venedy and Okawville, Washiington County, Illinois, is from Venne
and neighboring villages.  We have corresponded for several years with Udo
Thoerner in Venne, and were able to meet him and 30 family historians from
Venne area two years ago in Illinois.   Udo has been compiling the
emigration records from Venne to US (Illlinois, Indiana, and Texas) for
several years.    He has a web site for Venne, which is very informative:
www.venne-families.de/

I have ordered the LDS films for the church registers in Venne (St.
Walburgis Evangelical Lutheran). They have provided us with several
generations back of my husband's families.

Let me know if you need more information on these films.
Best Wishes,
Carolyn in Missouri
Researching Büning, Tepe, Sachtleben in Venne and Engter, Hannover

Date: 2003/09/02 20:59:59
From: Carolyn Bening <cbening(a)earthlink.net>

Robert,
I failed to mention that I copied from the LDS film the Stammbäume der
Venner ... (about 50 pages) including the table of surnames.  If you send me
the surnames you are researching, I can check the list to see if they are
included.  However, the List of land owners is quite interesting with some
family members going back into the 17th century, and you may want to order
the film just for the chance that you would come across your surnames in the
other genealogies.  The text is in the old Gothic German script.

Also, do you have a copy of "Lists of Emigrants from the Church Parish of
Venne (Hannoveer) to the USA after 1830" originally compiled by Pastor David
Ludwig Stüve (1844-1880)? This is the list that Udo Thoerner is trying to
complete with the help of our generation's family historians.  Stüve's list
if available from The Augustan Society, Post Office Box P, Torrance, CA
90507-0210 and may even be online by now.  It was originally published n the
Germanic Genealogist volu26.

Hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Carolyn in Missouri
> In the LDS catalog for the city of Venne, Hannover
> there is listed the following item
>
> "Die Stammbäume der Venner Vollerben, Halberben und Erbkötter  Mielke,
Adolf"

> It is a film of a book.
>
> the LDS notes in English say that this is
> "Genealogy of the landholders of Venne, Hannover, Germany."
>
> I don't believe it!
>
> Would some kind soul with better German than I take a crack at translating
the
> German language title given above?
>
> Robert Block
> Santa Barbara California

[HN] Hanover Census Question

Date: 2003/09/04 04:59:28
From: JCBLOH <JCBLOH(a)aol.com>

My great-grandparents lived in Hanover. My ggfather is said to have lived in
Mayenne,I am not sure this is the correct spelling.Myggmother lived in Mainz.
Is either of these towns or cities included in any of these census records?
They were married in Frankfort-a-Main in 1853 and emigrated soon after. Any help
will be appreciated,
                                             Thank you
                                                            J C Bloh

Re: [HN] Hanover Census Question

Date: 2003/09/04 05:06:11
From: Fred Rump <FredRump(a)earthlink.net>

On 3 Sep 2003 at 22:59, JCBLOH(a)aol.com wrote:

> My great-grandparents lived in Hanover. My ggfather is said to have
> lived in Mayenne,I am not sure this is the correct spelling.Myggmother
> lived in Mainz.

Same thing and far away from Hanover..

> Is either of these towns or cities included in any of
> these census records? They were married in Frankfort-a-Main in 1853
> and emigrated soon after. Any help will be appreciated,

And that's in Hessen.

Date: 2003/09/04 05:18:55
From: .... valentine53179 <valentine53179(a)hotmail.com>

I am thinking that in one of my families...that a catholic girl married a jewish boy of frankfort a main and left the homeland very shortly after.....
so I too would be interested in what the list suggests...

Date: 2003/09/04 06:53:51
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)comcast.net>

Hello,
     There is a town in  Rheinland called Mayen which is west of Koblenz and
northwest of Mainz. The Mormons have  many records of those two cities. You
might want to look at their microfilms for your research. Maybe they were
born in Mayen or Mainz and later lived in Hannover?
Barbara Stewart

on 9/3/03 8:59 PM, JCBLOH(a)aol.com at JCBLOH(a)aol.com wrote:

> My great-grandparents lived in Hanover. My ggfather is said to have lived in
> Mayenne,I am not sure this is the correct spelling.Myggmother lived in Mainz.
> Is either of these towns or cities included in any of these census records?
> They were married in Frankfort-a-Main in 1853 and emigrated soon after. Any
> help
> will be appreciated,
> Thank you
> J C Bloh

[HN] Wechold

Date: 2003/09/04 14:00:56
From: JRodenburg <JRodenburg(a)aol.com>

Dear Group,

Need to mention to those interested that my Meyer and Zum Mallen familes hail
from Wechold and Eitzendorf. Wechold has a web site I believe. My
great-grandfather was taught by a semi famous German pastor/poet.

Viele Grüße aus Illinois
John Rodenburg
Werner, Brunkhorst, Steinke, Krause
Schröder, Meyer, Zum Mallen, Röhrdanz

[HN] Town of Rehburg

Date: 2003/09/04 16:27:23
From: DeniseTwin <DeniseTwin(a)aol.com>

The family I am researching (Stolberg/Stollberg/Brittman) immigrated from the
town of Rehburg, Kingdom of Hannover, in 1845.  Are there any census records
for the time period before this?  What AFT would Rehburg be in?  (I hope
that's the right terminology!)
Thank you for any help.
Denise

Re: [HN] Hanover Census Question

Date: 2003/09/04 16:57:45
From: Wilfried Petersen <Wilfried.Petersen(a)t-online.de>

<JCBLOH(a)aol.com> schrieb:
> My great-grandparents lived in Hanover. My ggfather is said to have lived in
> Mayenne,I am not sure this is the correct spelling.Myggmother lived in Mainz.
> Is either of these towns or cities included in any of these census records?
> They were married in Frankfort-a-Main in 1853 and emigrated soon after. Any help
> will be appreciated,
>                                              Thank you
>                                                             J C Bloh

Hi,

1797 - 1814 (at the time of Napoleon) Mainz was a part of France and its name in French was Mayence.
There is also a town Mayen stuated about 80 km north-west of Mainz and 25 km west of Koblenz. Under Napoleon it was also french.
Both are situated far from Hannover, but Frankfurt am Main is only about 30 km north-east of Mainz.

Greetings from Mainz
Wilfried Petersen

RE: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/04 18:58:23
From: John Stanton <jrstanton(a)comcast.net>

I'm new at searching for census records in Hannover and having
difficulty in understanding the process. Could someone outline the steps
necessary if one only knows the town names (Schwanewede and Hammersbeck)
and then what is necessary to locate the surname (Bellmer)?  Thanks!

John Stanton
jrstanton(a)comcast.net

Re: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/04 19:33:50
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)comcast.net>

Hi John,
      This is not a census, but this is what the LDS catalog has (church
records):

Kirchenbuch, 1715-1852  Evangelische Kirche Schwanewede (Kr. Blumenthal)

     They don't list Hammersbeck, but since it is close to Schwanewede, they
may have gone to church there as well.
      If you are near an LDS center, it would well worth the effort to order
the microfilm from them to view it yourself.

Barbara Stewart

Date: 2003/09/04 20:19:15
From: John Stanton <jrstanton(a)comcast.net>

Thanks Barbara but I already have the church records from Schwanewede
and Blumenthal for Hammersbeck. Was hoping to find census records for
them.

John Stanton
jrstanton(a)comcast.net
-----------
Hi John,
      This is not a census, but this is what the LDS catalog has (church
records):

Kirchenbuch, 1715-1852  Evangelische Kirche Schwanewede (Kr. Blumenthal)

     They don't list Hammersbeck, but since it is close to Schwanewede,
they may have gone to church there as well.
      If you are near an LDS center, it would well worth the effort to
order the microfilm from them to view it yourself.

Barbara Stewart

[HN] Surname CANANKAMP

Date: 2003/09/04 21:33:25
From: Tamara Kauffman <tkauffman(a)smsgenerators.com>

Good afternoon to all...

My only link to Hannover so far is a notation from the 1880 Federal Census showing that Albert CANANCAMP was from Hannover, Ger. According to said census he was born in approximately 1819. According to an index of Naturalizations, he immigrated to the US and settled in Ohio in 1842. I know he married Maria LAWRENCE in 1845 in Wayne County, Ohio, and there they remained until their deaths.

I have not been able to get a copy of his Naturalization papers yet, but at the same time have not located the port or ship he arrived on.

A few different spellings have popped up for this surname (Caincamp, Canaancamp) but my grandmother spelled it CANANKAMP. I realize that it was probably simplified from its germanic spelling, but does anyone recognize it or can suggest some other spellings?

Even by doing a general Google search I get less then 20 hits <g>

Thanks for the assist!

Tamara

RE: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/04 22:32:17
From: Hans Peter Albers <320097756779-0001(a)t-online.de>

John Stanton schrieb:
> I'm new at searching for census records in Hannover and having
> difficulty in understanding the process. Could someone outline the steps
> necessary if one only knows the town names (Schwanewede and Hammersbeck)
> and then what is necessary to locate the surname (Bellmer)?  Thanks!
>
> John Stanton
> jrstanton(a)comcast.net

Most of this census records are still in the archives, not published, not
accessable by internet. In some cases researchers have made some work on it. To
get knowledge about the existing of such records, you should write to the town
archive or ask the local administration to forward your writing to the right
archive. If their have been publishments on it, try to get into the catalogue of
the most nearby university and statearchive, should be in your case Bremen,
perhaps also Oldenburg and look under the places name or the places, which are
around and might be a regional centre. Nearest by Genealogical Society, in which
library something could be found in case of publishment about it is: "Die Maus,
Gesellschaft für Familienforschung e.V.Bremen, Am Staatsarchiv 1, 28303 Bremen,
http:// www.genealogy.net/vereine/maus.

Sorry, for not being able, to give you something more concrete  Hans Peter Albers

Re: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/04 22:57:59
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)comcast.net>

Hi  John,
    Some one else recently posted this list of those census records in
Hannover which has been filmed by the LDS:

http://home.att.net/~arnielang/HannoverCensus.html

Also, check here:
    http://www.hist.de/edition-hist(e).html

Barbara Stewart

on 9/4/03 10:58 AM, John Stanton at jrstanton(a)comcast.net wrote:

> I'm new at searching for census records in Hannover and having
> difficulty in understanding the process. Could someone outline the steps
> necessary if one only knows the town names (Schwanewede and Hammersbeck)
> and then what is necessary to locate the surname (Bellmer)?  Thanks!
>
> John Stanton
> jrstanton(a)comcast.net

Re: [HN] Town of Rehburg

Date: 2003/09/05 02:16:17
From: R&B Stewart <raybarbara(a)comcast.net>

Denise,
     Perhaps you know this--Rehburg is west of the city of Hannover in the
church district of Stolzenau:
     http://www.hist.de/KB-hannover.htm

     There is a LDS microfilm on the 1852 census for Stolzenau, but I would
not know if that would cover Rehburg:
     Gerichtsakten, 1852-1861  Stolzenau (Hannover). Amtsgericht

Have you looked at the LDS website www.familysearch.org ?  There are many
Stolbergs listed.

Good luck,
Barbara Stewart

Date: 2003/09/05 05:15:06
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

> John Stanton schrieb:
>> I'm new at searching for census records in Hannover and having
>> difficulty in understanding the process. Could someone outline the steps
>> necessary if one only knows the town names (Schwanewede and Hammersbeck)
>> and then what is necessary to locate the surname (Bellmer)?  Thanks!
>>
>> John Stanton
>> jrstanton(a)comcast.net

I don't know the place Hammersbeck, but in Schwanewede you can this addresses at the phone directory: www.teleauskunft.de

Bellmer, Hans  Phone(04209) -3203, Fax -4006
  Damm 20
  28790 Schwanewede

Bellmer, Manfred  (04209) 3861
  Insterburger Weg 10
  28790 Schwanewede

Bellmer, Reinhold  (04209) 4040
  Schumannstr. 34 B
  28790 Schwanewede

Bellmer, Tina  (04209) 931193
  Philosophenweg 26
  28790 Schwanewede

Schwanewede is located north of Bremen.

[HN] Town of Rehburg

Date: 2003/09/05 16:38:21
From: DeniseTwin <DeniseTwin(a)aol.com>

Barbara,
Thank you so much for the information on Rehburg, I have checked
Familysearch.org, and found a few clues there, but I'll definately check out the LDS film!
Denise

[HN] Dohrmanns in Buecken/Bucken

Date: 2003/09/05 23:08:32
From: Mark Dohrmann <mark(a)ergonomics.com.au>

Greetings!  I am a very new subscriber to the list.

In a few days' time (Sept 18-20) I will be travelling to Hamburg (from
Melbourne Australia).   I plan to visit Bucken (Buecken?) and its
neighbour Altenbucken, the reported home town of my ancestor Johan
Heinrich Friedrich Dohrmann (or Dormann), born June 26 1827 at
Altenbucken (Altenbuecken/Altenbuchen?).

His birthplace lies between Bremen and Hanover, on the river Weser.
His birth certificate shows his name spelt as "Dormann";  it appears
that the "h" was introduced in Australia as a result of difficulty or
confusion with the spelling.

He arrived in Australia in 1853 on the Maryann out of Bristol on April
23 1853.  His father was a farmer, but we do not know why his son
emigrated. Heinrich was a Lutheran; he was naturalised a British
subject on February 22 1879, at the age of 51.

We have an old German certificate dated July 7 1849, addressed to "J.
H. Dormann", from the District Commissar at Hoya, exempting him from
military service.

1. Is it difficult to get to Bucken/Buecken from Hamburg?,  I'm told
there are buses, but my time is short.
2. Can anyone point me me at sources of information about "Dohrmann"
in Hanover/Bucken?  I've tried hard for months, but have not been able
to find anything.

Many thanks.

Mark Dohrmann

Web: www.ergonomics.com.au

Re: [HN] Dohrmanns in Buecken/Bucken

Date: 2003/09/05 23:40:42
From: Paul Scheele <pfsco1(a)comcast.net>

I have records of a number of Dohrmann's who immigrated to Missouri, USA.
They came primarily from the villages of Kirchtimke and Nartum which is a
ways north of Bücken. Interestingly, these Dohrmann's usually spelled the
name Dormann after they immigrated.

The trains may be a better way to get to Bücken/Buecken from Hamburg. You
will probably have to go through either Bremen or Hannover as it is on the
route between them but a little closer to Bremen. I believe the train
station is in Eystrup. Should be a short taxi ride from there.

Good luck,
Paul Scheele

Date: 2003/09/06 04:00:27
From: Fred Buck <fredbuck(a)sprynet.com>

Dear Mark

I agree with Paul that the nearest regular train station to Bücken is
Eystrup.  My ADAC Maxi Atlas indicates that a tourist train
(Museumeisenbahn) also runs from Eystrup to Hoya (a distance of about 5
miles/8 km).  Bücken is about 2 miles/3.2 km south of Hoya and Altenbücken
is about 0.5 miles/0.8 km east of Bücken.  You may be able to find out more
(schedule, rates, etc.) about this tourist train via the Internet.

If you are not able to get a taxi or bus in Eystrup, you may be able to rent
a bicycle at the train station.  The region around the Weser River should be
fairly flat.

The Dohrmann name is fairly common in the region around Lamstedt (about 60
miles/96 km north of Bücken).  The family in that region were well known as
millers, both of water mills and I believe wind mills.  This caused the
family to spread out as more mills were being developed in the region.

I myself am a distant descendant of the Lamstedt Dohrmann family and I know
of other descendants (with the name Wilshusen) who moved to Australia in the
late 1850's.

I also wish you the best of luck on your trip,

Fred Buck
Cincinnati, Ohio

Date: 2003/09/06 06:00:51
From: Neil and Marilyn Heimsoth <heimat(a)iland.net>

Dear Fred,
Coincidentally, here in Benton and Morgan Counties of  Missouri we have
Dormann's and Wilshusen's, and at one time the name Buck was also found
here.
> I agree with Paul that the nearest regular train station to Bücken is
> Eystrup.  My ADAC Maxi Atlas indicates that a tourist train
> (Museumeisenbahn) also runs from Eystrup to Hoya (a distance of about 5
> miles/8 km).  Bücken is about 2 miles/3.2 km south of Hoya and Altenbücken
> is about 0.5 miles/0.8 km east of Bücken.  You may be able to find out
more
> (schedule, rates, etc.) about this tourist train via the Internet.
>
> If you are not able to get a taxi or bus in Eystrup, you may be able to
rent
> a bicycle at the train station.  The region around the Weser River should
be
> fairly flat.
>
> The Dohrmann name is fairly common in the region around Lamstedt (about 60
> miles/96 km north of Bücken).  The family in that region were well known
as
> millers, both of water mills and I believe wind mills.  This caused the
> family to spread out as more mills were being developed in the region.
>
> I myself am a distant descendant of the Lamstedt Dohrmann family and I
know
> of other descendants (with the name Wilshusen) who moved to Australia in
the
> late 1850's.
>
> I also wish you the best of luck on your trip,
>
> Fred Buck
> Cincinnati, Ohio

---

[HN] Buck in Benton County, Missouri and in the Parish of Lamstedt in Hannover

Date: 2003/09/06 06:45:51
From: Fred Buck <fredbuck(a)sprynet.com>

Neil and Marilyn,

I know of at least one Buck family who lived in Benton County to whom I am
related.  Gerd Buck was born in Heessel near Lamstedt in 1817, emigrated to
the U.S. in the early 1850's and settled in Cole Camp, Benton County,
Missouri.  He died in Cole Camp in 1892.  Gerd's children moved to Meade
County, Kansas in the 1880's or 1890's.

I am related to Gerd at least six different ways, the closest as a
2nd-cousin, 4-times removed.  I am also related one way to his wife.  Gerd's
paternal grandmother, Catharina Buck, was the daughter of my
5th-great-grandfather, Hinrich Buck, Sr., of Dornsode, a village in the
parish of Lamstedt.  I am more distantly related to Gerd's paternal
grandfather, Maas Buck, who was also born in Dornsode.

Buck is a very common name in Lamstedt -- there are four main lines that
date back to the early 1600's.  I descend from three of those lines on my
father's side.  According to tax records, the Buck name goes back to at
least 1525 in Dornsode.  I also descend on my mother's side from a Buck
family that lived in the village of Hude in the parish of Oldendorf, located
about 8 miles/12.8 km east of Dornsode.  This family was living in Hude in
1525 as well.

I don't believe that I have any Wilshusen ancestors, but I have seen the
name in the parishes of Oerel, Bremervörde, Mulsum and Selsingen.  I know
that many German-born settlers of Benton County came from these parishes.

Fred Buck
Cincinnati, Ohio

Date: 2003/09/06 14:38:07
From: Rolf Schulenburg <rolf.schulenburg(a)t-online.de>

Hallo Mark !
You will find something about the Church in Bücken under
www.kirche-büecken.de .
Possibly there are more Dohrmann in their books. If you want to visit the
church, it will be advantageous so sent a Mail about your coming.
Good luck from Hamburg
Rolf

> Greetings!  I am a very new subscriber to the list.
>
> In a few days' time (Sept 18-20) I will be travelling to Hamburg (from
> Melbourne Australia).   I plan to visit Bucken (Buecken?) and its
> neighbour Altenbucken, the reported home town of my ancestor Johan
> Heinrich Friedrich Dohrmann (or Dormann), born June 26 1827 at
> Altenbucken (Altenbuecken/Altenbuchen?).
>
> His birthplace lies between Bremen and Hanover, on the river Weser.
> His birth certificate shows his name spelt as "Dormann";  it appears
> that the "h" was introduced in Australia as a result of difficulty or
> confusion with the spelling.
>
> He arrived in Australia in 1853 on the Maryann out of Bristol on April
> 23 1853.  His father was a farmer, but we do not know why his son
> emigrated. Heinrich was a Lutheran; he was naturalised a British
> subject on February 22 1879, at the age of 51.
>
> We have an old German certificate dated July 7 1849, addressed to "J.
> H. Dormann", from the District Commissar at Hoya, exempting him from
> military service.
>
> 1. Is it difficult to get to Bucken/Buecken from Hamburg?,  I'm told
> there are buses, but my time is short.
> 2. Can anyone point me me at sources of information about "Dohrmann"
> in Hanover/Bucken?  I've tried hard for months, but have not been able
> to find anything.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Mark Dohrmann
>
> Web: www.ergonomics.com.au

[HN] Inf.-Reg. Herzog Friedr. Wilh. von Braunschweig Nr. 78

Date: 2003/09/06 15:06:34
From: Juergen Drees <J.Drees(a)gmx.net>

Hallo/Hello!

Anbei eine weitergeleitete Nachricht aus der Oldenburg-Liste, die
sicherlich auch hier interessiert. Franz Felschen ist nicht Mitglied
dieser Liste. Anfragen daher bitte direkt an
<mail(a)felschen-haseluenne.de>

This is a forwarded message from Oldenburg list. I'm sure some people
here are interested in it as well. Franz Felschen isn't a member of
this list, so please send your requests directly to
<mail(a)felschen-haseluenne.de>

Date: 2003/09/06 15:18:06
From: Doug Plowman <dplowman(a)newnorth.net>

Rehburg is in included, at least for 1861 as I have searched the 1861 census
for the surname MACKEBEN.

Doug Plowman (Plamann from Drenow, Naugard, Kries Kolberg-Korlin, Mackeben
from Rehburg, Dunker from Schneeren)

Date: 2003/09/07 00:19:45
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Dear John,
Dear Readers,

Just back from a research trip to Hanover and Bodenwerder, I
realize that there have been a number of mails dealing with the
census records recently.

I want to add two comments/answers to your request, first a
special answer for Schwanewede and Hammersbeck, second a
general answer (an attempt to answer) to the question "how to find
the appropiate Census in a particular locality in Hanover".

1. Both Hammersbeck (31 houses/212 inhabitants in 1852) and
Schwanewede (138 houses/848 inhabitants in 1852) had belonged
to the Amt Blumenthal from 1852 on (before 1852 Schwanewede
was an administrative district of it`s own, a so called
"Patrimonialgericht").

The census records of the Amt Blumenthal are surely not in the
State Archive Bremen, but in the State Archive Stade. I do not
know yet if the orginal 1852 census lists of Hammersbeck and
Schwanewede are preserved, but if they are, they are - with a 99%
probability - in Stade. Theserecords were not filmed by the LDS.

2. In order to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in
Hanover one has

a) to know about the administartive district (Amt) this town or
village belonged to at the time of the census and
b) to know about the way the records of the Ämter (plural of Amt)
are organized and preserved at the State Archives (and in which
State Archive).

It would be good if we would have an online database with all
villages, locations and towns within the Kingdom of Hannover (or
other regions) and the administrative they belonged to. We try to
build up such a database (Hannover Location List) on our census
website www.edition-hist.de, but this is only for 1852 and for the
areas we already have in our census database.

There are a number of old printed books which include lists of all
Hannover villages/towns and the Ämter they belonged to. The best
for the 1850s is "the Ringklib" (Statistische Übersicht der
Eintheilung des Königreichs Hannover nach Verwaltungs- und
Gerichsbezirken in Folge der neuen Organisation der Verwaltung
und Justiz, edited by Heinrich Ringklib). There were editions printed
in 1852, 1853 and 1859. These books have a location name index
and they are a key source for all Hannover researchers.

The State Archive in Nidersachsen have most of their Ämter
holdings organized based on the administrative structure after
1859. This means that you will find the census records of the Amt
rehburg in the holdings of the Amt Stolzenau, after the Amt
Rehburg only existed until 1859.

There are other archives in which census records are preserved
(town archives, district archives = Kreisarchive), but this is only the
fact for bigger towns and some "Kreise".

-> In almost all the cases the todays towns neither know if and
where a census of their town exist!
-> often the regional genealogical societies do not know either

I do not say this in order to blame the towns or societies, but only
in order to give you an idea about the very low attention the
German towns and even genealogists pay to the census records.
Often even the archives, who have census holdings do not know
about these holdings or at least not if these holdings include all the
inhabitant or only statistical material.

Even if it is correct that parish register research is by far the most
important genealogical source for German research, this very low
attention (sometimes ignorance) to the census records should be
find an end.

Date: 2003/09/07 00:50:39
From: John Stanton <jrstanton(a)comcast.net>

Thank you Jens your reply was right on target for me.

John Stanton
jrstanton(a)comcast.net

Re: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/07 01:41:31
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Dear Jens,

Can you estimate when the MARTSFELD sections #5, #6 and #7 of the 1852 Hannover Census, which you have currently available in the German version will be available in the English version? And how should we go about paying for them? Do you take MasterCard and VISA and accept orders by telephone?
Thanks,
Newton

Re: [HN] How to find the appropriate Census in a particular locality in Hanover

Date: 2003/09/07 02:47:45
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Dear Newton,

> Can you estimate when the MARTSFELD sections #5, #6 and #7 of the 1852
> Hannover Census, which you have currently available in the German
> version will be available in the English version?

Both the German and the English versions will probably in print
until December 2003.

Please send orders or questions about payments etc. to my private
address after I do not want to fill up the list with private buisiness.
You should have got a private e-mail from me just about one hour
ago.

Date: 2003/09/07 03:05:53
From: Gary Stoltman <stopan(a)optonline.net>

Jens:

Thanks for the info. Would Osnabrück be the "administrative district" for
the town of Gesmold, which is about 10km SE?

Gary Stoltman
Mercerville, NJ

Date: 2003/09/07 03:13:13
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Dear Gary,

> Thanks for the info. Would Osnabrück be the "administrative district"
> for the town of Gesmold, which is about 10km SE?

Gesmold belonged to the Amt Grönenberg.

Best greetings,

Jens

Jens Mueller-Koppe
HISTORICAL RESEARCH SERVICES, Germany (HRS)
Schanzendorfer Str. 9B
D - 28307 Bremen
Germany
www.hist.de

1852 Hanover Census Project
www.edition-hist.de

[HN] Fw: [Les_Fils_du_vent] Canicule => Une minute de silence

Date: 2003/09/08 13:30:08
From: kathpfeil <kathpfeil(a)wanadoo.fr>

Bonjour a tous

je transmets pour info
peut etre que l'eux de vous etez t'ils parents
amicalement
kath

Date: 2003/09/08 19:33:51
From: Gary Stoltman <stopan(a)optonline.net>

Hallo Jens:

I am new to this list. I would be interested in the 1800-1860 censuses for
GESMOLD. Thanks

Gary Stoltman(n)
Mercerville, NJ

> > Can you estimate when the MARTSFELD sections #5, #6 and #7 of the 1852
> > Hannover Census, which you have currently available in the German
> > version will be available in the English version?
>
> Both the German and the English versions will probably in print
> until December 2003.
>
> Please send orders or questions about payments etc. to my private
> address after I do not want to fill up the list with private buisiness.
> You should have got a private e-mail from me just about one hour
> ago.
>
> Best greetings from Bremen, Germany,
>
> Jens
>

> Jens Mueller-Koppe
> HISTORICAL RESEARCH SERVICES, Germany (HRS)
> Schanzendorfer Str. 9B
> D - 28307 Bremen
> Germany
> www.hist.de
>
> 1852 Hanover Census Project
> www.edition-hist.de

[HN] Questions about the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845, and 1848 Hannover Censuses ...

Date: 2003/09/08 19:46:28
From: Newton Brand <nbrand(a)houston.rr.com>

Dear Listers,

Questions relating to the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845 and 1848 Hannover Censuses. Does the LDS Family History Library have microfilm of each of these Censuses? (I have been unable to find them on the "FamilySearch" website.)

I think I read somewhere, probably on this list, that some of the Censuses are principally concerned with "statistics" and, thus, of little value to family research; has any one evaluated each, or any one, of the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845 and 1848 Censuses to determine their value to family research?
Thanks so much!

Newton Brand

Re: [HN] Questions about the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845, and 1848 Hannover Censuses ...

Date: 2003/09/09 17:39:32
From: Maureen <mcshelly2(a)msn.com>

Jens said the 1952 was the most informative by far.
  Questions relating to the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845 and 1848 Hannover
  Censuses.

  Does the LDS Family History Library have microfilm of each of these
  Censuses?  (I have been unable to find them on the "FamilySearch" website.)

  I think I read somewhere, probably on this list, that some of the
  Censuses are principally concerned with "statistics" and, thus, of
  little value to family research; has any one evaluated each, or any one,
  of the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845 and 1848 Censuses to determine their value
  to family research?

  Thanks so much!

  Newton Brand

[HN] Minning emigration Hanover to New Orleans Louisiana USA

Date: 2003/09/10 06:26:46
From: Atwood <atwood(a)garlic.com>

Hi, I am new to this list. I am excited to find some new information that might give me my first documented connection to Europe for my family. I need help in finding the documentation to support these suggested facts:

Fritz or Frederich MINNING - there are two people but I am not clear on the one who is married to Elizabeth HASSENROUGH. The information I found says that Elizabeth and her two sons, Rudolph (b. 1850) and Henrich (b. 1852) emigrated from Germany to New Orleans, Louisiana USA arriving 25 November 1857. She was met in New Orleans by her husband (either Fritz or Frederich) and possibly their daughter, Eliza (b. about 1848). Elizabeth (the mother) was born in 1848 in Germany. She is from Hanoveria (is this the same as Hanover?). The ship was D.M. Watjen.

What would be the likely German names that became MINNING? Is HASSENROUGH truly a German surname or is it misspelled?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on where to find more information.

Mary
in California

Re: [HN] Minning emigration Hanover to New Orleans Louisiana USA

Date: 2003/09/10 06:34:45
From: Mary Atwood <atwood(a)garlic.com>

I forgot to include in my previous post....if Eliza the daughter is the
correct person to be in my family, as an adult she married August MEYERS.
That happened in the 1860s I believe.  They had one child.  August MEYERS
disappears from the picture.  By 1879 Eliza MINNING MEYERS married Johnathan
(John) KOENIG in New Orleans.

Both August MEYERS (b. About 1844 Germany) and John KOENIG (b. About 1848
Germany) are also from Germany, dates of birth and immigration to New
Orleans unknown.

Am also looking for a possible connection to Ferdinand MEYERS, born in
Germany about 1841 and in the US about 1842.

Thanks.

Mary
In California

Researching German origins:  MEYERS MINNING KOENIG RANBARGER

Re: [HN] Minning emigration Hanover to New Orleans Louisiana USA

Date: 2003/09/10 09:27:28
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Try this address:

Udo Thörner
Campemoor 32
49434 Vörden
Germany

Phone 05495-1532

email: udo.thoerner(a)t-online.de

records:
  Minning von 1700 bis 1900 in Venne (Ostercappeln) Landkreis(county) Osnabrück

Date: 2003/09/10 10:30:17
From: Hans Peter Albers <320097756779-0001(a)t-online.de>

Atwood schrieb:
> What would be the likely German names that became MINNING?  Is
> HASSENROUGH truly a German surname or is it misspelled?
Family names today given are:

- HASSENRICK, HASSENRIK, HASSENRÜ(U)CK, HASSERODT, HASSEROTH, no Hassenrough
- about 190 MINNING in the telephoneregister in 1995
- RANEBERG, RANEBURGER should be the origin, respect.German spelling of RANBARGER

Greetings                                                       Hans Peter Albers

Re: [HN] Minning emigration Hanover to New Orleans Louisiana USA

Date: 2003/09/10 19:57:24
From: Maureen <mcshelly2(a)msn.com>

Fritz is a nickname for Frederick.

    Minning von 1700 bis 1900 in Venne (Ostercappeln) Landkreis(county) Osnabrück

  > Hi,  I am new to this list.  I am excited to find some new information
  > that might give me my first documented connection to Europe for my
  > family.  I need help in finding the documentation to support these
  > suggested facts:

  > Fritz or Frederich MINNING - there are two people but I am not clear on
  > the one who is married to Elizabeth HASSENROUGH.  The information I
  > found says that Elizabeth and her two sons, Rudolph (b. 1850) and
  > Henrich (b. 1852) emigrated from Germany to New Orleans, Louisiana USA
  > arriving 25 November 1857.  She was met in New Orleans by her husband
  > (either Fritz or Frederich) and possibly their daughter, Eliza (b. about
  > 1848).  Elizabeth (the mother) was born in 1848 in Germany.  She is from
  > Hanoveria (is this the same as Hanover?).  The ship was D.M. Watjen.

  > What would be the likely German names that became MINNING?  Is
  > HASSENROUGH truly a German surname or is it misspelled?

  > Thanks for any help or suggestions on where to find more information.

  > Mary
  > in California

[HN] Surnames: Voges, du Carrois

Date: 2003/09/10 22:57:08
From: Kevin Voges <kevin.voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz>

Mein Urgroßvater kam vom Hannover 1884 nach Australien. Johann Bernhard Voges geboren am 28 April 1858 in Hohenhameln. Eltern: Schneider Josef Voges und Gertrud du Carrois. Wenn jemand Informationen über diese Familie, setzen Sie sich bitte mit mir in Verbindung.
Kevin.Voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz
Herzlichen Dank,
Kevin Voges

My Great Grand Father came to Australia from Hannover in 1884. Johann Bernhard Voges born 28 April 1858 at Hohenhameln. Parents: Schneider Josef Voges and Gertrud du Carrois. If anyone has information on this family please contact me at
Kevin.Voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz
Thank you,
Kevin Voges

Re: [HN] Surnames: Voges, du Carrois

Date: 2003/09/11 04:03:19
From: MB <mbei(a)freenet.de>

Die Familie du Carrois lebt heute noch in Hildesheim. Adresse: Wolfgang du
Carrois, Siedlungsweg 1, D-31135 Hildesheim.
Aus dem Heiratsregister der katholischen Kirche in Algermissen:
Am 22. Mai 1846 heiratete  Werner Decarois aus Hohenhameln,
Sohn von Johannes Decarcois und Elisabeth Hartmann
Catharina Ludewig aus Algermissen.
Tochter von Andreas Ludewig und Theresia Witte.
Der Name Voges ist hier sehr häufig und die meisten Familien sind
katholisch. . Die Kirchenbücher der katholischen Gemeinden sind im zentralen
Kirchenbucharchiv in Hildesheim: E-Mail: bistumsarchiv(a)bistum-hildesheim.de
Ich bin häufiger im Kirchenbucharchiv und kann für Sie mitforschen, wenn Sie
es wünschen
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Maria Beitzen, Algermissen
Mein Urgroßvater kam vom Hannover 1884 nach Australien. Johann Bernhard
Voges geboren am 28 April 1858 in Hohenhameln. Eltern: Schneider Josef
Voges und Gertrud du Carrois. Wenn jemand Informationen über diese
Familie, setzen Sie sich bitte mit mir in Verbindung.
Kevin.Voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz
Herzlichen Dank,
Kevin Voges

My Great Grand Father came to Australia from Hannover in 1884. Johann
Bernhard Voges born 28 April 1858 at Hohenhameln. Parents: Schneider
Josef Voges and Gertrud du Carrois. If anyone has information on this
family please contact me at
Kevin.Voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz
Thank you,
Kevin Voges

[HN] Most Wanted: Berkhoff

Date: 2003/09/11 10:33:36
From: Marnix Berkhoff <m.w.berkhoff(a)planet.nl>

Looking for: birthplace of catholic Hollandgänger Stoffel (Barent-son) Berkhoff ± 1671 Hamm-Soest, Nordrhein Westfalen or Braunschweig-area, Hanover

L.S.,

During the years our family managed to trace our ancestors back to the city hall of Weesp (a little town near Amsterdam; The Netherlands) 9 November 1698, where Miss Catarina Poppel took the hand of Stoffel (Barent-son) Berkhoff and said yes to her 27 years old lover. In the marriage-certificate we can read further not only that he said yes too, but also that he was born in the area of Munster ("uyt Munsterlant"). So the young girl married a so-called Hollandgänger.

Now we are looking for ´the missing link / birthplace` to get on the road again. From other sources we know Stoffel was a catholic and Internet site www.dastelefonbuch.de shows us a lot of hits (40 out of 99) on our surname in the area of Hamm-Soest, Nordrhein-Westfalen, and around Braunschweig, Hanover (23 out of 99).  So on this basis we do think it is possible that further research could be a success. At this stage however some -German- help is needed.

Does someone have -in his database- the birthplace of Hollandgänger Stoffel (Barent-son) Berkhoff who was born around 1671 in the diocese of Munster (or Hanover), or bring us in contact with people who do have?

with kind regards, Marnix Berkhoff,  NL.  (German language; writing: -- ; reading: +).

[HN] Nachforschungen

Date: 2003/09/11 14:35:41
From: Rolf Schulenburg <rolf.schulenburg(a)t-online.de>

An die Freunde der Liste in Chile !
Ich habe ein ganz spezielles Problem. In die Familienchronik meiner Familie, an der ich z.Zt. arbeite, möchte ich auch den Lebenslauf meines Schwiegervaters HERMANN BRANDT einfügen, der am 11. November 1906 in Altenwerder bei Hamburg geboren und am 5. August 1958 bei einem Verkehrsunfall in der Nähe von Himmelpforten (Kreis Stade) ums Leben gekommen ist. Er ist fast die ganze Zeit seines Lebens zur See gefahren, daher fehlen mir leider viele schriftliche Unterlagen, zumal er während des II. Weltkrieges in "geheimer Mission" unterwegs war und daher fast keine Briefe schreiben konnte. Er befuhr nämlich als Blockadebrecher die Route Europa-Japan-Europa.
Im Sommer 1939 lief er als III. Ingenieur mit seinem Schiff "MS PORTLAND" von Hamburg in Richtung Westküste Südamerika aus und erreichte Anfang September 1939 den Hafen Coquimbo in Chile, wo das Schiff auf Grund des ausgebrochenen Krieges festmachen mußte. Er konnte aber mit Genehmigung der chilenischen Regierung, der Schiffsleitung und der deutschen Botschaft als Assistent des Betriebsingenieurs in der Brauerei "Adolfo Floto Cia." in La Serena arbeiten, um seinen Lebensunterhalt zu verdienen und kostbare Devisen zu sparen.
Ende 1940 - Anfang 1941 hat er Chile wieder verlassen, ob mit der "PORTLAND" oder einem anderen Schiff, weiß ich nicht, mir ist aber bekannt, daß er mit der "MS OSORNO" am 2. Oktober 1943 Kobe in Japan verließ und am 26. Dezember 1943 unter dramatischen Umständen als letzter Blockadebrecher Bordeaux in Frankreich erreichte. Danach hat kein deutsches oder italienisches Überwasserschiff die alliierte Blockade durchbrechen können. Trotz intensiver Suche im Internet und in der veröffentlichten Literatur habe ich keine Hinweise finden können, mit welchen Schiffen er von Ende 1940/Anfang 1941 gefahren ist. Meine Nachforschungen in Chile haben noch keine Ergebnisse gebracht.
Daher meine Frage: Wissen Sie mehr über den Aufenthalt deutscher Schiffe und ihrer Besatzungen in Chile zu Anfang des 2. Weltkrieges ?

An die Listenteilnehmer in Deutschland !
Ich habe mein Problem oben näher geschildert. Wissen Sie mehr über die Fahrten der "MS PORTLAND" und der "MS OSORNO" auf der Route Chile-Europa-Japan und zurück ? Sind Ihnen Personen bekannt, die während des Krieges auf beiden Schiffen gefahren sind oder mit Ihnen auf die eine oder andere Weise (Verwaltung, Marine, Reedereien o.v.a.) zu tun hatten. Es wird immer schwerer, heute noch lebende Zeitzeugen zu finden.

Für jeden Hinweis bin ich dankbar und natürlich zu Gegendiensten gern bereit.

Viele Grüße aus Hamburg
Rolf Schulenburg
Fischbeker Holtweg 58
D 21149 Hamburg
Tel.: 040 - 701 40 86
Fax: 040 - 701 023 83
E-Mail: rolf.schulenburg(a)t-online.de

[HN] Re: Hannover-L digest, Vol 1 #1081 - 4 msgs

Date: 2003/09/11 18:59:11
From: AndiStef <AndiStef(a)aol.com>

In einer eMail vom 11.09.03 12:16:49 (MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerzeit schreibt
hannover-l-request(a)genealogy.net:

> From: "MB" <mbei(a)freenet.de>
> To: <hannover-l(a)genealogy.net>
> Subject: Re: [HN] Surnames: Voges, du Carrois
> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 04:04:28 +0200
>
> Die Familie du Carrois lebt heute noch in Hildesheim. Adresse: Wolfgang du
> Carrois, Siedlungsweg 1, D-31135 Hildesheim.
> Aus dem Heiratsregister der katholischen Kirche in Algermissen:
> Am 22. Mai 1846 heiratete  Werner Decarois aus Hohenhameln,
> Sohn von Johannes Decarcois und Elisabeth Hartmann
> Catharina Ludewig aus Algermissen.
> Tochter von Andreas Ludewig und Theresia Witte.
> Der Name Voges ist hier sehr häufig und die meisten Familien sind
> katholisch. . Die Kirchenbücher der katholischen Gemeinden sind im zentralen
> Kirchenbucharchiv in Hildesheim: E-Mail: bistumsarchiv(a)bistum-hildesheim.de
> Ich bin häufiger im Kirchenbucharchiv und kann für Sie mitforschen, wenn Sie
> es wünschen
> Mit freundlichem Gruß
> Maria Beitzen, Algermissen

Liebe Maria Beitzen,
habe gerade gelesen, dass Sie häufiger im Kirchenbucharchiv in Hildesheim
sind. Nun habe ich eine Bitte: Könnten Sie für mich bei Gelegenheit etwas
recherchieren? Ich bin auf der Suche nach Johann Conrad Habenicht - Töpfer aus
Hildesheim. J.C. Habenicht ist irgendwann nach Hamburg gegangen. Er war verheiratet
mit Anna Maria Dorothea Luise Becker aus Düshorn bei Walsrode. Die gemeinsame
Tochter Metta Catharina Elisabeth Habenicht ist am 6.9.1808 in Hamburg
geboren. Der gemeinsame Sohn Johann Carl Wilhelm Andreas Habenicht ist 1798 geboren
und hat 1832 beim Tod der Mutter in Hamburg gelebt.
Sollten Sie irgendwelche Angaben zu Johann Conrad Habenicht finden können
wäre ich sehr dankbar. Für eventuell entstehende Kosten würde ich natürlich
aufkommen.
Herzliche Grüße aus Hamburg
Andrea Lange

Re: [HN] Minning emigration Hanover to New Orleans Louisiana USA

Date: 2003/09/12 12:38:31
From: Hans Peter Albers <320097756779-0001(a)t-online.de>

Atwood schrieb:
> What would be the likely German names that became MINNING?  Is
> HASSENROUGH truly a German surname or is it misspelled?
Family names today given are:

Don't know haow extended you take in consideration writing errors, but there is
also a HASSEBRAUK, Marianne, *11.5.1923 Braunschweig, who wrote some literature
under the Pseudonym: Marianne Abel. Source: Eymers Pseudonymen-lexikon from 1997.

Greetings                                                       Hans Peter Albers

[HN] Amt Hagen Hannover

Date: 2003/09/12 16:40:36
From: BASchwart <BASchwart(a)aol.com>

Hello folks,  As a fairly new  lister, I appreciate all the helpful resources
that this site offers.

Question:  Is Amt Hagen, Hannover a town, a Kries, the country.  Amt Hagen,
Hannover was listed as birthplace for Heinrich Oltman SCHWARTING in a 1878
church marriage certificate.  He was born 1849, Hannover and married 1878 in
Hicksville, Queens County (later Nassau County) New York.

I would be happy to offer what little information I have been able to
research on him to anyone who could help me.

Barbara Schwarting

[HN] Re: Amt

Date: 2003/09/13 18:59:10
From: A <angie-web(a)webtv.net>

I have a hard time with these also-it seems as though meanings change
over time or they use them interchangeably?

I have ancestors born in Borstel, church at Hagen, Kingdom of Hannover.
My Hagen is the tiny village east of Nienburg in Niedersachsen.

I am betting your ancestor was born in a village somewhere near, but not
neccesarily in, the large city of Hagen west of Nienburg, simply because
my Hagen is too small to be an Amt or at least I think so?

For example:

USA, Midwest, Iowa, Bremer, Douglas, Section #, Siegel, Lutheran,
Missouri.

Country, region, state, county, township, plot of land numbered within
the township, village/parish, church, synod.

Now, Siegel no longer exists officially, but if you say Siegel church
they know what you refer to?

It seems like there are words to describe how the ground is divided, how
the people are divided, how the political structures are divided, and
then historical divisions that may still be used but are no longer
accurate within the language?

In my dictionary:
Amt=section or office
Amtsgericht=district court
amtlich=official

village=dorf
town/city=stadt
community=gemeinschaft
parrish=gemeinde
township=stadtgemeinde
county=grafschaft or verwaltungsbezirk
district=bezirk or kreis
chief town of a district=kreisstadt
countryside=landschaft
country=land or staat

http://www.archive.nrw.de/archive/script/infserv/texte/haupt.asp?Nr=252&Tnr=1134

p.s. :-) anyone know where "going bezerk" comes from?

Re: [HN] Re: Amt

Date: 2003/09/13 19:44:37
From: Fred Rump <FredRump(a)earthlink.net>

On 13 Sep 2003 at 11:59, A wrote:

> In my dictionary:
> Amt=section or office
> Amtsgericht=district court
> amtlich=official
>
> village=dorf
> town/city=stadt
> community=gemeinschaft
> parrish=gemeinde
> township=stadtgemeinde
> county=grafschaft or verwaltungsbezirk
> district=bezirk or kreis
> chief town of a district=kreisstadt
> countryside=landschaft
> country=land or staat

Think of an Amt as a county or district. Later they often
became known as a Kreis with the same borders. There also
is a Oberamt and a Landkreis which is a somewhat larger
area.

All of this developed over time as people needed to be taxed
and managed by those above them. :-)

Date: 2003/09/13 20:40:00
From: J B <johnbrene(a)hotmail.com>

Hey Fred, you are talking about the Germans and not us, right? Just wanted to make sure. ;=)

Jb

Think of an Amt as a county or district...

All of this developed over time as people needed to be taxed
and managed by those above them. :-)

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general

[HN] Bergmann, Witthoeft

Date: 2003/09/14 00:48:59
From: KLile <KLile(a)aol.com>

I would like to begin researching my Bergmann and Witthoeft ancestors. My
GGrandfather, John Witthoeft immigrated to Chicago from Hannover in about 1867.
He was born in Hannover in 1845. My GGrandmother, Dorothea A. Bergmann also
immigrated to Chicago from Hannover in 1866 or 1867. She was born abt 1851. I am
looking for any information or tips anyone might have. I am a novice at this.
Thanks.
Kevin Lile

Re: [HN] Re: Amt

Date: 2003/09/14 01:15:38
From: Bob Marhenke <bobmarval(a)juno.com>

Hey Rod,

Are you out there?? Is the same as our Botstel???Bob Marhenke

Re: [HN] Amt Hagen Hannover

Date: 2003/09/15 01:41:49
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Hi Barbara,
Dear readers,

The Amt Hagen can be found on the way between Bremen and
Bremerhaven. In 1852 this Amt had 9085 inhabitants in 35 villages
and towns.

The census records should be at the Stade Archive Stade, but after
you already know the year of birth it might be as well promising to
check the relevant parish registers (Hagen, Bramstedt, Büttel,
Sandstedt, Uthlede, Wersabe, Wulsbüttel - or with lower priority
after only smaller parts of those parishes belonged to the Amt
Hagen Bruch, Hambergen, Scharmbeck and Stotel)

There were (at least) 11 different towns and villages called Hagen in
the Kingdom of Hanover, ...
But only one Amt Hagen.

Date: 2003/09/15 01:41:50
From: hrs <hrs(a)hist.de>

Dear Readers,

> Questions relating to the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845 and 1848 Hannover
> Censuses.

These censuses are more of statistical value indeed after we can
only find the head of the household and the number of persons per
household seperated in males and females and certain age
columns (0-7, 7-14, 14-20. 20-45, 45-60, more than 60 years).

Compared with the 1852, 1855, 1858, 1861 and 1864 censuses
one can hardly speak of a real census, at least not in the way the
word is used amongst genealogists. Comparing the records for the
1833-1848 census lists can be nevertheless of great value in order
to learn more about the delevelopement of a certain village or
household. One should be aware that the persons who lived in the
household can include farm hands, maids, foster children, etc.

It is by far not all the Ämter for which a complete collection of 1833-
1864 census records exist.

Date: 2003/09/15 05:31:13
From: Kevin Voges <kevin.voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz>

Maria
Thank you for your reply. I have replied in English as unfortunately I don't speak German (I had a friend write the paragraph for me). If you don't speak English, please reply in German as babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) does a reasonable job of translating. I will also try to get my friend to help with the conversation. The information regarding du Carrois was very useful and I will contact Wolfgang du Carrois directly. Thank you for that. Now that I finally have the area my ancestors come from, I hope eventually do some research at Hildesheim personally. In the meantime, if you can help me, I would specifically like to obtain a copy of the birth certificate of Johann Bernhard Voges born 28 April 1858 at Hohenhameln. This should give me more information about his parents.
Thank you for your help.
Kevin

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 02:04 PM, MB wrote:
[...]

[HN] Re: going berserk.

Date: 2003/09/15 05:38:23
From: ghille <ghille(a)neonet.bc.ca>

Whoever is interested:

Berserker = warrior in a bearskin of old nordic saga, a wild-acting man of
extreme violence and fury. Bär und serkr = hemd ( bear and shirt). Going
berserk = acting like a berserker.

Greetings from Canada

Gunter Hille

Re: [HN] Amt Hagen Hannover

Date: 2003/09/15 19:36:21
From: BASchwart <BASchwart(a)aol.com>

Thank you so very much for your information.  You have given me great leads.
I truely appreciate your writing me.  Barb Schwarting

[HN] RE: Hannover-L digest, Vol 1 #1085 - 4 msgs

Date: 2003/09/16 03:40:38
From: Donn Bohde <bohdega(a)wideopenwest.com>

Its been a while since I've posted a msg so I hope I'm doing it properly.
My relatives come from Hajen, found southeast of Hameln on the Vesser River.
As I've run into road blocks trying to link several distinct lines of my
surname, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the 1852 census for Hajen.
(they came to the US in 1854, so it would be very timely).  Does anyone know
of any of the history of Hajen or when its census information may be
available?

Thanks for your help!!

Blessings,
Donn

From: hrs(a)hist.de
To: hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:48:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [HN] Amt Hagen Hannover
Format: QP

[...]

--__--__--

Message: 2
From: hrs(a)hist.de
To: hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:48:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [HN] Questions about the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845, and 1848
Hannover Censuses ...
Format: QP

Dear Readers,

> Questions relating to the 1833, 1836, 1842, 1845 and 1848 Hannover
> Censuses.

These censuses are more of statistical value indeed after we can
only find the head of the household and the number of persons per
household seperated in males and females and certain age
columns (0-7, 7-14, 14-20. 20-45, 45-60, more than 60 years).

Compared with the 1852, 1855, 1858, 1861 and 1864 censuses
one can hardly speak of a real census, at least not in the way the
word is used amongst genealogists. Comparing the records for the
1833-1848 census lists can be nevertheless of great value in order
to learn more about the delevelopement of a certain village or
household. One should be aware that the persons who lived in the
household can include farm hands, maids, foster children, etc.

It is by far not all the Ämter for which a complete collection of 1833-
1864 census records exist.

Best greetings from Bremen, Germany,

Jens

Jens Mueller-Koppe
HISTORICAL RESEARCH SERVICES, Germany (HRS)
Schanzendorfer Str. 9B
D - 28307 Bremen
Germany
www.hist.de

1852 Hanover Census Project
www.edition-hist.de

--__--__--

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:30:17 +1200
From: Kevin Voges <kevin.voges(a)canterbury.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: [HN] Surnames: Voges, du Carrois
To: hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
Format: QP

Maria
Thank you for your reply. I have replied in English as unfortunately I =

don't speak German (I had a friend write the paragraph for me). If you =

don't speak English, please reply in German as babelfish
(http://babelfish.altavista.com/) does a reasonable job of translating. =

I will also try to get my friend to help with the conversation.
The information regarding du Carrois was very useful and I will contact =

Wolfgang du Carrois directly. Thank you for that.
Now that I finally have the area my ancestors come from, I hope
eventually do some research at Hildesheim personally. In the meantime, =

if you can help me, I would specifically like to obtain a copy of the
birth certificate of Johann Bernhard Voges born 28 April 1858 at
Hohenhameln. This should give me more information about his parents.
Thank you for your help.
Kevin

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 02:04 PM, MB wrote:
> Die Familie du Carrois lebt heute noch in Hildesheim. Adresse:
> Wolfgang du
> Carrois, Siedlungsweg 1, D-31135 Hildesheim.
> Aus dem Heiratsregister der katholischen Kirche in Algermissen:
> Am 22. Mai 1846 heiratete  Werner Decarois aus Hohenhameln,
> Sohn von Johannes Decarcois und Elisabeth Hartmann
> Catharina Ludewig aus Algermissen.
> Tochter von Andreas Ludewig und Theresia Witte.
> Der Name Voges ist hier sehr häufig und die meisten Familien sind
> katholisch. . Die Kirchenbücher der katholischen Gemeinden sind im =

> zentralen
> Kirchenbucharchiv in Hildesheim: E-Mail:
> bistumsarchiv(a)bistum-hildesheim.de
> Ich bin häufiger im Kirchenbucharchiv und kann für Sie =
mitforschen,
> wenn Sie
> es wünschen
> Mit freundlichem Gruß
> Maria Beitzen, Algermissen

   =

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: "ghille" <ghille(a)neonet.bc.ca>
To: <hannover-l(a)genealogy.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:17:34 -0600
Subject: [HN] Re: going berserk.

Whoever is interested:

Berserker = warrior in a bearskin of old nordic saga, a wild-acting man of
extreme violence and fury. Bär und serkr = hemd ( bear and shirt). Going
berserk = acting like a berserker.

Greetings from Canada

Gunter Hille

End of Hannover-L Digest

RE: [HN] Minning emigration Hanover to New Orleans Louisiana USA

Date: 2003/09/16 03:51:08
From: Al and Marjorie Rosendahl <mrosend(a)ties.k12.mn.us>

Mary, I am also researching Koenig.....only know a few details:  Freidrich
KOENIG  b 25 Feb 1846, emigrated to USA in 1863, ended up in Oronoco,
Olmsted County MN, married 1873.  I would be interested in communicating
with you further...word has it that he came to USA with 2 brothers, but that
has not been verified.
Marjorie

[HN] Re: going berzerk

Date: 2003/09/16 05:16:22
From: A <angie-web(a)webtv.net>

Thanks for the explanation-I have always enjoyed language, and word
origins. I took german and my roomate took latin 30 yrs ago in
college-we would quiz each other, using flashcards, before tests. She
now works for a german corporation, and they sent her to class to learn
german, and I find myself stumbling thru written latin in microfilmed
churchbooks. :-)

[HN] koenig.....

Date: 2003/09/16 05:59:27
From: .... valentine53179 <valentine53179(a)hotmail.com>

koenig was a name in Schaumburg Illinois, named after SChaumburg Lippe of Hannover...
thee were others how were in schaumburg Illinois and who then went to minnesota...
it might be worth a posting to the list and a check of the archives...
further there are others on the list who have tracked their people from schaumburg to minnesota, so there may be other bits of info there for you

il-cook-schaumburg-L(a)rootsweb.com
to subscribe
il-cook-schaumburg-L-request(a)rootsweb.com with subscribe in the subject and text....

  Mary, I am also researching Koenig.....only know a few details:  Freidrich
  KOENIG  b 25 Feb 1846, emigrated to USA in 1863, ended up in Oronoco,
  Olmsted County MN, married 1873.  I would be interested in communicating
  with you further...word has it that he came to USA with 2 brothers, but that
  has not been verified.
  Marjorie

[HN] Familienbuch Twistringen 1647-1669

Date: 2003/09/16 16:08:15
From: FalkLiebe <FalkLiebe(a)t-online.de>

Neuerscheinung aus dem Stadtarchiv Twistringen:
Quellen zur Familienforschung in Twistringen
Friedhelm Wessels, Familienbuch Twistringen 1647-1669,
Zusammengestellt aus den Tauf- und Heiratseintragungen
im aeltesten Twistringer Kirchenbuch (katholisch,
enthaelt aber auch alle ansaessigen evangelischen Familien), ,
Teilweise durch andere Listen erweitert fuer die Zeit
von etwa 1600 bis 1725, Twistringen 2003, DIN A 4, 115 Seiten,
Die Broschuere ist nach Familiennamen geordnet ,
es gibt auch eine Ausgabe nach Bauerschaften und Hausnummern
auch beides zusammen auf einer CD
Zu erwerben sind diese beiden Broschueren und die CD-ROM im
Stadtarchiv
Twistringen
(Rathaus, Lindenstr. 14, 27239 Twistringen) =96 das Archiv ist
telefonisch erreichbar
Donnerstag 15 =96 17 Uhr unter 04243-413-180

Freitag, den 12. September 2003 beging das Stadtarchiv Twistringen
sein 25j=E4hriges Bestehen mit einer Feierstunde im Ratssaal und
Vortraegen=20
des ehrenamtlichen Archivars Otto Bach (mit Friedrich Kratzsch seit
1978=20
im Archiv-Einsatz) ueber die Entwicklung des Archivs
(s. http://www.twistringen.de/rathaus/stadtarchiv.htm)
und von Dr. Ralf Vogeding, dem Leiter des Diepholzer Kreismuseums in
Syke
ueber die Zusammenarbeit zwischen Archiv und Museum.

Genealogische Gruesse

Falk Liebezeit
Diepholz

The Twistringen city archives have published another
helpful booklet: Familienbuch Twistringen 1647 - 1669
115 pages of genealogical information for that period directly
following the thirty years war
Twistringen belonged to Vechta until 1803, then it became part of
Hannover. It took until 1900 that a lutheran (protestant) vicarage
was established. The main church was catholic, the population
at/in Twistringen was predominantly catholic, the surrounding
villages were mostly protestant but had to pay a fee to the catholic
priest at St. Anna as well.
So this family register is not confined to the catholic population.
You may order it
sorted by last names Euro 13
or sorted by village and house number Euro 13

or both on a CD - please ask for the price
rathaus(a)twistringen.de

The Twistringen city archives have just turned 25 years
on Friday there was a celebration with Sekt, Selters and Saft
(German champagne, mineral water and juice)
at the Twistringen city hall.=20

Take care

Falk Liebezeit
Diepholz
Germany

P.S.:
Danke Juergen Drees - das waere mir aeusserst unangenehm gewesen !

[HN] Volkszählung in Schleswig-Holstein von 1769

Date: 2003/09/17 17:18:44
From: Martinus <meine-ahnen(a)gmx.de>

Hallo liebe Mitforscher,

ich habe für Peter (Voss) einen Artikel aus der Zeitschrift für Niedersächsische Familienkunde (22.Jhg. 1940) kopiert:

Hugo Carstens, "Die Volkszählung vom 15. August 1769 in Schleswig Holstein".

Vielleicht haben noch andere von Euch daran Interesse?

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Martinus
www.arendi.de

Re: [HN] Volkszählung in Schleswig-Holstein von 1769

Date: 2003/09/17 17:50:45
From: Genealogie van Luttikhuizen <genvanluttikhuizen(a)home.nl>

Hallo Martinus

Ja, ich haette auch Interesse.

Gruesse,  Tim van Luttikhuizen (NL)
genvanluttikhuizen(a)home.nl
http://members.home.nl/genvanluttikhuizen

Date: 2003/09/17 19:07:39
From: Klaus Riecken <Klaus.Riecken(a)t-online.de>

Hallo Martin,

meine Vorfahren kommen aus S.-H.
Ich bitte um Übersendung des Artikels.
Danke
Klaus Riecken
www.Riecken-online.de

Date: 2003/09/17 19:44:31
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Könnte ich die email Adresse von Peter Voss bekommenß

Eine Amerikanerin sucht seit Jahren nach ihren Voss Vorfahren.

Gruß Werner Honkomp

> Hallo liebe Mitforscher,

> ich habe für Peter (Voss) einen Artikel aus der Zeitschrift für
> Niedersächsische Familienkunde (22.Jhg. 1940) kopiert:

> Hugo Carstens, "Die Volkszählung vom 15. August 1769 in Schleswig
> Holstein".

> Vielleicht haben noch andere von Euch daran Interesse?

> Mit freundlichem Gruß

> Martinus
> www.arendi.de

AW: [HN] Volkszählung in Schleswig-Holstein von 1769

Date: 2003/09/17 19:46:26
From: Almut Völker <ahvoelker(a)t-online.de>

Lieber Martinus,
auch ich habe Interesse an diesem Artikel,
Danke
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Almut Völker

Almut Völker
Bertolt-Brecht-Str.115
D-49088 Osnabrück
Tele:+49-541-189133
e-mail: ahvoelker(a)t-online.de

[HN] Heinrich (Henry)Tienken b. Nov. 13, 1845, Wollingst, Beverstedt, Hannover, Germany

Date: 2003/09/17 23:42:00
From: Nick & Jane Nielsen <jnielsen3(a)socal.rr.com>

I am looking for information on
Heinrich (Henry) Tienken
Born November 13, 1845 in Wollingst, Beverstedt, Hannover, Germany
Emigrated to the United States in 1863, living in Stockton and San
Francisco, California
Died May 5, 1922 Lindsay, Tulare Co., California, USA

I am interested in the 1852 Census of Hannover, that should give his
Family and ages and names of his parents and any siblings.
His father’s name may have been Martin.
If anyone has access to the 1852 Census or knows how I can get access to it,
Please let me know.  Thanks, Nick ( jnielsen3(a)socal.rr.com
<mailto:jnielsen3(a)socal.rr.com> )

[HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record

Date: 2003/09/18 05:04:54
From: Robert Block <r.block(a)cox.net>

Our ancestor's church record

Venne, Osnabrück, birth/baptism 1865,

says he was born at the location

"Niewedde 2e" .

Niewedde is a small local community right near Venne,
where the Ev.Luth. Church for the area was located.

May I assume (like some other places in those days)
that the "2e" was a complete designation of the house
and its location in Niewedde??

And, if so, how might I find said house today??

Robert Block

Re: [HN] Volkszählung in Schleswig-Holstein von 1769

Date: 2003/09/18 06:41:01
From: Johann W. Schroeder <jschroeder(a)img.net>

    Hallo Martinus,falls ich nicht zu spät bin , ich wäre auch intressiert
an eine abschrift. Vielen Dank im foraus .
 Johann W. Schroeder  jschroeder(a)img.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 8:29 AM

> Hallo liebe Mitforscher,
>
> ich habe für Peter (Voss) einen Artikel aus der Zeitschrift für
Niedersächsische Familienkunde (22.Jhg. 1940) kopiert:

> Hugo Carstens, "Die Volkszählung vom 15. August 1769 in Schleswig
Holstein".

> Vielleicht haben noch andere von Euch daran Interesse?
>

> Mit freundlichem Gruß
>
> Martinus
> www.arendi.de

[HN] Hardenberg (Einbeck)

Date: 2003/09/18 15:19:43
From: Martinus <meine-ahnen(a)gmx.de>

Hallo liebe Listenteilnehmer,

wer Ahnen unter dem Namen Hardenberg aus Einbeck hat, kann eine Stammtafel haben - sie stammt aus dem Buch:

Johann Wolf, Geschichte des Geschlechts von Hardenberg, 1823.

Habe sie für mich und Klaus (Riecken) abgescannt.

Versand per E-Mail als *.pdf-Datei.

Viele Grüße aus Hannover

Martin
www.arendi.de

Re: [HN] Hardenberg (Einbeck)

Date: 2003/09/18 16:16:21
From: Genealogie van Luttikhuizen <genvanluttikhuizen(a)home.nl>

Hallo Martin

Habe eine Frage an Sie

Habe Sie vielleicht ein der folgenden Namen in Ihrem Stammbaum:?

Thieliecke
Meier
Johannsen
Mumm
Spiegelberg
Verspermann

Gruesse aus Holland, Tim van Luttikhuizen
genvanluttikhuizen(a)home.nl
http://members.home.nl/genvanluttikhuizen
<il-cook-schaumburg-L(a)rootsweb.com>; "Mailingliste NIEDERSACHSEN-L"
<NIEDERSACHSEN-L(a)rootsweb.com>; "Mailingliste Hannover"
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 3:16 PM
Subject: [HN] Hardenberg (Einbeck)

Hallo liebe Listenteilnehmer,

wer Ahnen unter dem Namen Hardenberg aus Einbeck hat, kann eine Stammtafel
haben - sie stammt aus dem Buch:

Johann Wolf, Geschichte des Geschlechts von Hardenberg, 1823.

Habe sie für mich und Klaus (Riecken) abgescannt.

Versand per E-Mail als *.pdf-Datei.

Viele Grüße aus Hannover

Martin
www.arendi.de

RE: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record

Date: 2003/09/18 17:43:15
From: Steve Smith <sksmith_nl(a)hotmail.com>

Last time I was in Germany, I had great difficulty trying to do this. As you've indicated, the house number is not like a street address. It's similar to assigning a number to every house in the village, but, I can't tell you if there's any rhyme or reason to the numbering system. You have to locate the maps made of the village during the time period you're interested in - most likely in the same State Archive where the parish registers are stored. It was a few years ago when I did this, but if memory serves me correctly, you have to cross-reference more than one set of books and maps, which eventually might get you to a map of the house, which you then overlay on a modern map of the village. I had to give up after a while. Of course, I can only speak of my own experience - maybe it depends on the records available for your particular village. This might be something better suited for a hired researcher, though they are expensive. I'm sure there are others out there who have a better idea of how this works. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Steve

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:04:54 -0700
From: Robert Block <r.block(a)cox.net>
To: hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
Subject: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record

Our ancestor's church record

Venne, Osnabrück, birth/baptism 1865,

says he was born at the location

"Niewedde 2e" .

Niewedde is a small local community right near Venne,
where the Ev.Luth. Church for the area was located.

May I assume (like some other places in those days)
that the "2e" was a complete designation of the house
and its location in Niewedde??

And, if so, how might I find said house today??

Robert Block

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam

Re: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record

Date: 2003/09/19 00:06:51
From: .... valentine53179 <valentine53179(a)hotmail.com>

what i did find to be nice... is the house number, when you do find it....
etched also into the keystone above the door....

  Last time I was in Germany, I had great difficulty trying to do this.  As
  you've indicated, the house number is not like a street address.  It's
  similar to assigning a number to every house in the village, but, I can't
  tell you if there's any rhyme or reason to the numbering system.
  You have to locate the maps made of the village during the time period
  you're interested in - most likely in the same State Archive where the
  parish registers are stored.  It was a few years ago when I did this, but if
  memory serves me correctly, you have to cross-reference more than one set of
  books and maps, which eventually might get you to a map of the house, which
  you then overlay on a modern map of the village.  I had to give up after a
  while.  Of course, I can only speak of my own experience - maybe it depends
  on the records available for your particular village.
  This might be something better suited for a hired researcher, though they
  are expensive. I'm sure there are others out there who have a better idea of
  how this works.  Sorry I can't be of more help.
  Steve

  >Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:04:54 -0700
  >From: Robert Block <r.block(a)cox.net>
  >To: hannover-l(a)genealogy.net
  >Subject: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record
  >
  >Our ancestor's church record
  >
  >Venne, Osnabrück, birth/baptism 1865,
  >
  >says he was born at the location
  >
  >"Niewedde 2e" .
  >
  >Niewedde is a small local community right near Venne,
  >where the Ev.Luth. Church for the area was located.
  >
  >May I assume (like some other places in those days)
  >that the "2e" was a complete designation of the house
  >and its location in Niewedde??
  >
  >And, if so, how might I find said house today??
  >
  >Robert Block

[HN] Kirchenbücher aus Einbeck

Date: 2003/09/19 00:28:17
From: Martinus <meine-ahnen(a)gmx.de>

Nein, leider nicht.

Es wäre aber leicht, festzustellen, ob es die Name in Einbeck gibt - es
wurden die Trauregister veröffentlicht, d.h. gedruckt.

Da ich nicht weiß, aus welcher Kirche sie stammen - sieh mal selber auf
meiner HP unter der Rubrik "Liste der veröffentlichten Kirchenbücher" nach.
Dort findest Du die Quellen.

Grüße aus Hannover

Martin
www.arendi.de

> Habe Sie vielleicht ein der folgenden Namen in Ihrem Stammbaum:?
>
> Thieliecke
> Meier
> Johannsen
> Mumm
> Spiegelberg
> Verspermann
>
> Gruesse aus Holland, Tim van Luttikhuizen
> genvanluttikhuizen(a)home.nl
> http://members.home.nl/genvanluttikhuizen
Schaumburg-L"

Date: 2003/09/19 04:28:19
From: Dave <davelf2(a)comcast.net>

For some reason, I can get a fairly accurate location from www.msn.maps.com . After that, a local inquiry can usually close any gap...

Dave Fleer
Fleer, Koelling, Kueter, Wahl

Date: 2003/09/19 16:28:05
From: Rose Green <hvozdany(a)hotmail.com>

Last time I was in Germany, I had great difficulty trying to do this. As you've indicated, the house number is not like a street address. It's similar to assigning a number to every house in the village, but, I can't tell you if there's any rhyme or reason to the numbering system.

I don't know about Germany, but in Bohemia, the house number system was actually for conscription purposes. I don't know if there would be any old military maps or documents describing this or not.

Rose Green
(researching HARTWIG and BRUNIGES/BRUNYER)

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Re: [HN] Finding location of Ancestral Home from Church record

Date: 2003/09/19 19:40:23
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

Dear Robert,

Venne have a very interesting website, but in German language, with history (Geschichte).
There you can also find this link:

"Wohnstättenkataster (Ladezeit)", it shows a list about the old and new places of Venne and also Niewedde.

Following you can see the house 2e, today Niewedder Weg 21. Owner today Kamphaus, former Renzebrink.

Gemeinde  Haus-Nr.a/b/c	Name des	Plattdeutsch	Eigentümer	     Anschrift 1999Status	zuerst	Größe
			      Hauses		1999		1892erwähnt1875
									(ha)

Niewedde	2	e	Kamphaus	Hollkamps Kamphus	Renzenbrink, W.	Niewedder Weg 21		1772

I think this help.

Werner

> Our ancestor's church record

> Venne, Osnabrück, birth/baptism 1865,

> says he was born at the location

> "Niewedde 2e" .

> Niewedde is a small local community right near Venne,
> where the Ev.Luth. Church for the area was located.

> May I assume (like some other places in those days)
> that the "2e" was a complete designation of the house
> and its location in Niewedde??

> And, if so, how might I find said house today??

> Robert Block

[HN] Hartwig

Date: 2003/09/19 20:15:35
From: gale <gale(a)bosche.info>

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:28:03 -0500, "Rose Green" wrote:

 (researching HARTWIG and BRUNIGES/BRUNYER)

Hi Rose:

I may have responded to your note on Hartwig before,
but with so much e-mail it is hard to keep track.  Well
here goes:  One of my grandfathers sisters (Sophia
Bosche) married Carl F. Hartwig.  His home town was
Hemsen Amt. Nienburg Hannover.  He was born 12-7-1846.
His parents were Frederick and Dora Hartwig.  There
were nine children. Ernst, Marie, Frederick, Louise,
Henry, Carl, Herman, George and Anna.

Gale Bosche
Walnut Creek, CA

[HN] Obermüller

Date: 2003/09/19 20:31:26
From: James Hayes <James.Hayes(a)downstate.edu>

=_alternative 0065BBF385256DA6_=

I have had some good luck and much help reseaching my family line=20
Oberm=FCller. I wanted to post some of the information I have found in case=
=20
there are other people looking for Oberm=FCller's who may also be related.

Heinrich Wilhelm Oberm=FCller (Henry William Obermuller) was married to=20
Katharina Maria Preckwinkel. They lived in Oldendorf Germany. Oldendorf is =

a little town with 300 people, which is a part of Melle Germany. Melle has =

about 40,000 people living there today. The modern name of the town of=20
Oldendorf  is a combined town name called PREU=DFISCH Oldendorf that is in =

the former kingdom of Hannover Germany. Heinrich Wilhelm Oberm=FCller was a=
n=20
owner of a "sawmill". The family lived in the same place. They had at=20
least four children who were born in Oldendorf: Heinrich August (Born=20
11.Feb 1873) (My great-grandfather), Karl Heinrich (Born 25. Sept 1875),=20
Heinrich Wilhelm (Born 5. April 1877), and Gustav Heinrich (Born 9. March=20
1882).=20

I have made contact with a third cousin who is the great-grandson of=20
Gustav Heinrich born 9 March 1882. His name is Maik Oberm=FCller attending =

architecture school in Germany. My cousin has been over to the church but=20
can not make out the information in the church there to go back further.=20

James Hayes=20

Re: [HN] Heinrich (Henry)Tienken b. Nov. 13, 1845, Wollingst, Beverstedt, Hannover, Germany

Date: 2003/09/20 03:42:49
From: Paul Scheele <pfsco1(a)comcast.net>

The LDS has films of the church records for Beverstedt. I think you would
find a lot more information about Henry Tienken there than you would in the
census.

Paul Scheele

> Born November 13, 1845 in Wollingst, Beverstedt, Hannover, Germany
> Emigrated to the United States in 1863, living in Stockton and San
> Francisco, California
> Died May 5, 1922 Lindsay, Tulare Co., California, USA
>
> I am interested in the 1852 Census of Hannover, that should give his
> Family and ages and names of his parents and any siblings.
> His father's name may have been Martin.
> If anyone has access to the 1852 Census or knows how I can get access to
it,
> Please let me know.  Thanks, Nick ( jnielsen3(a)socal.rr.com
> <mailto:jnielsen3(a)socal.rr.com> )

[HN] Suche nach Müsker

Date: 2003/09/20 12:00:06
From: ferdinand.muesker <ferdinand.muesker(a)ewetel.net>

Liebe Hannover - Freunde,
ich suche im Raume Wolfenbüttel nach

Gustav Gerd Folgert Müsker
geb. 6.8.1885, gest. 15.4.1972 in Schliestedt
Ehefrau Maria Johanne Hermine Hoier
geb. 28.4.1898 in Wolfenbüttel

Die Kinder.
Gustav Gerhard Müsker
geb. 8.7.1917 in Astederfeld, gest. 15.4.1956 in Ahlum
Günter August Müsker
geb. 20.8.1924 in Grabstede, gest. 13.9.200 in Wolfenbüttel
Erwin Müsker
geb. 14.7.1926 in Grabstede, gest. 16.3.1972 in Dettum.

Wer kann nähere Angaben über Kinder, Heirat usw geben?

Herzliche Grüße aus der Friesischen Wehde (liegt bei Varel)
und ein Danke im voraus!

Ferdinand Müsker

[HN] Re: finding old house numbers

Date: 2003/09/20 16:35:47
From: Larry Knigga, Ph.D. <lknigga(a)yahoo.com>

On one trip to Germany, before I left, I e-mailed the
old house numbers to a distant cousin who worked in
the local Rathaus and he got the modern equivalents.
I'm guessing that the local Rathaus would have the
modern addresses.

Larry

Re: [HN] Hartwig

Date: 2003/09/20 18:00:22
From: Rose Green <hvozdany(a)hotmail.com>

Hi Gale,

No, I don't believe we've communicated about our Hartwigs before. Mine are a bit further back, but I'm stumped as to where they originated. I have a Georg Andreas Hartwig who was a lieutenant in Wolfenbüttel in 1700. In 1703 he joined up with the cavalry of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf and was sent as a captain (Rittmeister) down to southern Germany during the War of Spanish Succession. In 1715 he retired and settled in Hessen near a military colleague, the Graf von Erbach. He married Dorothea Sophia Schumacher, who knows where. I'm sure he was from up north somewhere, but there aren't so many microfilmed records from up north as there are in Hessen. Hannover isn't so very far away from Wolfenbüttel/Braunschweig (at least, not compared to the other places he traveled). I think I'll check out the area you mentioned. Do you know if there are any published town histories or Ortsippenbücher/Familienbücher?

Rose

Hi Rose:

I may have responded to your note on Hartwig before,
but with so much e-mail it is hard to keep track.  Well
here goes:  One of my grandfathers sisters (Sophia
Bosche) married Carl F. Hartwig.  His home town was
Hemsen Amt. Nienburg Hannover.  He was born 12-7-1846.
His parents were Frederick and Dora Hartwig.  There
were nine children. Ernst, Marie, Frederick, Louise,
Henry, Carl, Herman, George and Anna.

Gale Bosche
Walnut Creek, CA

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com

[HN] Where can I find a copy of the 1852 Census of Wollingst, Beverstedt, Hannover, Germany?

Date: 2003/09/20 18:11:51
From: Nick & Jane Nielsen <jnielsen3(a)socal.rr.com>

I have ordered the Beverstedt Parish Church Records Microfilm from the LDS,
by I am still interested in a
Copy of the 1852 Census of Wollingst, Beverstedt, Hannover.  I am looking
for the names and birth years
of the parents of Heinrich Tienken, born Nov 13, 1845 in Wollingst,
Beverstedt.

Previous researchers have said that Heinrich is the only child of Martin
Tienken and his wife that he married late in life,
I want to see the ages in the 1852 Census to confirm that information, and
to make sure that I have the correct
Martin Tienken, if I eventually find a Martin Tienken birth record.

Anyway, Is there someone out there for a fee or for free who can look up the
1852 Census record for me, or who can
Tell me who will do it for me.  Also, is the 1852 Census indexed, or do you
have to go through the whole thing.  I have
Been doing genealogy research on my family in the US for over 10 years, but
am just starting in get into the Ancestry
Across the Ocean.

Re: [HN] Hartwig

Date: 2003/09/20 20:50:28
From: gale <gale(a)bosche.info>

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:00:21 -0500, "Rose Green" wrote:
> Hi Gale,
>
> No, I don't believe we've communicated about our
> Hartwigs before.  Mine are
> a bit further back, but I'm stumped as to where they
> originated.  I have a
> Georg Andreas Hartwig who was a lieutenant in
> Wolfenbüttel in 1700.  In 1703
> he joined up with the cavalry of
> Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf and was sent as
> a captain (Rittmeister) down to southern Germany
during
> the War of Spanish
> Succession.  In 1715 he retired and settled in Hessen
> near a military
> colleague, the Graf von Erbach.  He married Dorothea
> Sophia Schumacher, who
> knows where.  I'm sure he was from up north somewhere,
> but there aren't so
> many microfilmed records from up north as there are in
> Hessen.  Hannover
> isn't so very far away from Wolfenbüttel/Braunschweig
> (at least, not
> compared to the other places he traveled).  I think
> I'll check out the area
> you mentioned.  Do you know if there are any published
> town histories or
> Ortsippenbücher/Familienbücher?
>
> Rose

Hi Rose:

I am sorry, I don't think I have anything to add,
except the possibility of checking with the Heemsen
Parish.  Hist.de indicates that there are records going
back to the 1600's.  Since my relationship to the
Hartwig's were through my grandfather's brother in law,
I have not done any reasearch on them. I understand
that they had quite a bit of money and gpa's b-in-law
came to the U.S. to make his fortune (which he did)
rather than to find a better life, like most Germans
did.

My family (Bosche) comes from Anderten, a short
distance north of Heemsen.  I need to contact the
Eystrup parish for information.  In comparing the 1880
U.S. census for Hannover Township, Crawford County,
Iowa to the 1852 census for Anderten, I see a number of
the same people.  Most of them were under 15 in the
1852 census.

Gale

[HN] Hochzeitsdaten Familie Heine aus Groß Hehlen / Celle (ev.)

Date: 2003/09/21 13:17:58
From: Dr. Michael Auf'mkolk <dr.afk(a)t-online.de>

Liebe Liste

Kurze Vorstellung: 49 Jahre, Arzt, verh., 3 Ki, Hobby-Genealoge der
eigenen Familie.

Suche 3 Hochzeitsdaten (ev.) der Familie Heine aus Groß Hehlen. Wo kann
ich fündig werden ?

1) Johann Heinrich Heine aus Groß Hehlen oo vor 1832   Sophie Christiane
Elisabeth Krüger aus Celle

2) Hans Lüdecke Heine Hofbesitzer Groß Hehlen oo  vor 1795 Katharina
Marie Evers aus Groß Hehlen

3) Hans Hinrich Heine Vollhöner Groß Hehlen oo vor 1758 unbekannt

Wer kann mir weiterhelfen mit Daten oder Ratschlägen wo zu suchen ?

Dr. Michael Auf'mkolk
Dortmund
--------------------------------
dr.afk(a)t-online.de

Re: [HN] Hochzeitsdaten Familie Heine aus Groß Hehle n / Celle (ev.)

Date: 2003/09/21 17:31:14
From: Erika Giftge <Giftge(a)t-online.de>

Hallo,

ich sah gerade Ihre Anfrage, zu der ich leider keine Angaben machen kann.
Mich würde aber interessieren, ob evtl. Ihre HEINE  Vorfahren sich bis nach
Eutzen erstrecken, denn ich habe unter meinen Ahnen eine HEINE Linie von
dort.
Viel Glück beim Forschen,

Erika Giftge

Kurze Vorstellung: 49 Jahre, Arzt, verh., 3 Ki, Hobby-Genealoge der
eigenen Familie.

Suche 3 Hochzeitsdaten (ev.) der Familie Heine aus Groß Hehlen. Wo kann
ich fündig werden ?

1) Johann Heinrich Heine aus Groß Hehlen oo vor 1832   Sophie Christiane
Elisabeth Krüger aus Celle

2) Hans Lüdecke Heine Hofbesitzer Groß Hehlen oo  vor 1795 Katharina
Marie Evers aus Groß Hehlen

3) Hans Hinrich Heine Vollhöner Groß Hehlen oo vor 1758 unbekannt

Wer kann mir weiterhelfen mit Daten oder Ratschlägen wo zu suchen ?

Dr. Michael Auf'mkolk
Dortmund

AW: [HN] Hochzeitsdaten Familie Heine aus Groß Hehle n / Celle (ev.)

Date: 2003/09/21 17:50:42
From: Dr. Michael Auf'mkolk <dr.afk(a)t-online.de>

Das wäre mir nicht bekannt, meine Heine "enden" in Groß Hehlen

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Auf'mkolk

Kurze Vorstellung: 49 Jahre, Arzt, verh., 3 Ki, Hobby-Genealoge der
eigenen Familie.

Suche 3 Hochzeitsdaten (ev.) der Familie Heine aus Groß Hehlen. Wo kann
ich fündig werden ?

1) Johann Heinrich Heine aus Groß Hehlen oo vor 1832   Sophie Christiane
Elisabeth Krüger aus Celle

2) Hans Lüdecke Heine Hofbesitzer Groß Hehlen oo  vor 1795 Katharina
Marie Evers aus Groß Hehlen

3) Hans Hinrich Heine Vollhöner Groß Hehlen oo vor 1758 unbekannt

Wer kann mir weiterhelfen mit Daten oder Ratschlägen wo zu suchen ?

Dr. Michael Auf'mkolk
Dortmund

[HN] Info zu Ostfriesland Treffen

Date: 2003/09/24 17:50:21
From: Werner Honkomp <Werner.Honkomp(a)t-online.de>

 ‚Töchter und Söhne Ostfrieslands’ treffen sich in Emden

Zum zweiten Mal lädt Eske Nannen in diesem Jahr Ostfriesen aus aller Welt zu einem Festwochenende vom 03. – 05.10.2003 in die
‚alte Heimat’ ein. Sie möchte die Gäste dieses ‚Familientreffens’ als Freunde für die Kunsthalle gewinnen.

Höhepunkt des Programms ist ein Dinner bei Kerzenschein und Musik mit einem Festvortrag des US-Sprachforschers Prof. Marron C. Fort über die friesische Sprache. Das Forum ‚binnen und buten’ bietet Gelegenheit zu Begegnungen und Gesprächen. Berichte über interessante Lebenswege und Tätigkeiten geben Einblicke in die ostfriesische Identität.

Programme und Anmeldungen sind über die Kunsthalle erhältlich unter Telefon: 0 49 21 – 97 50 12 (Renate Jürgens)

Werner Honkomp                       werner.honkomp(a)t-online.de
Ziegelhofstr. 35b                         www.honkomp.de
26121 Oldenburg                        Tel: 0441-87230, Fax: 0441-883499

[HN] Kirchenbücher Schermbeck Kreis Wesel

Date: 2003/09/25 08:54:17
From: Barbara Eckrath <knickmann(a)gmx.net>

Hallo an alle

Die Kirchenbücher der Gemeinde Schermbeck erscheinen demnächst auf CD und
können bestellt werden.Es gibt jedoch schon eine gedruckte Version.
Bestellungen unter:  ev. Gemeindebüro  (Tel: 02853-2949 )
                              Friedrich Stricker  (Tel.: 02853-4277 )

Die Öffnungszeiten des Gemeindebüros sind mir leider nicht bekannt.

MfG

Barbara Eckrath

--
Barbara Eckrath geb.Knickmann
Alleestr. 36

Suche alles zu Knickmann

[HN] Fehler Kirchenbücher Schermbeck Kreis Wesel

Date: 2003/09/25 11:22:24
From: Barbara Eckrath <knickmann(a)gmx.net>

Hallo an Alle

Die Kirchenbücher von Schermbeck sind Leider nur einzusehen und nicht zu
kaufen. Dies war ein Kommunikationsfehler meinerseits. Es tut mir leid für alle
die Interesse daran gehabt hätten :-((((

Barbara Eckrath

--
Barbara Eckrath geb.Knickmann
Alleestr. 36
46282 Dorsten

Suche alles zu Knickmann

[HN] Web site help?

Date: 2003/09/26 20:42:41
From: DeniseTwin <DeniseTwin(a)aol.com>

I have been referred to this website as having information on a family I am
researching, the ECKERT family.  The Google/Babelfish translation however is
very unclear on where they were coming from, it seems to indicate Dietzenbacher?
 Would some kind soul look at it for me and see if that is correct?  Also it
seems to be saying the ones in the second paragraph settled in Indiana, but
most of the families there I recognize from the Darmstadt, St Clair County
Illinois area.  Am I reading that wrong?  In U.S. census records John Wendel Eckert
states he was born in Hessen Darmstadt as well as his wife Anna Maria
PERSHBACHER. They were the first German marriage in Darmstadt, Illinois March 1, 1839.
Click here: Menschen und Grenzen 10aG 4
you all have been such a wonderful help to me in my search for the Stolberg's
in Hannover that I had hoped someone would help me with this as well.
thank you!
Denise

[HN] Web site help, part 2

Date: 2003/09/27 15:12:00
From: DeniseTwin <DeniseTwin(a)aol.com>

The link didn't work in my prior address, here it is:
<A HREF="http://www.spieltriebgbr.de/plato/antworten/mg10ag4.html";>http://www.spieltriebgbr.de/plato/antworten/mg10ag4.html</A>
thanks for any help
Denise

[HN] neues e-mail-address

Date: 2003/09/29 19:31:52
From: W.A. Ridderbos <w.a.ridderbos(a)xs4all.nl>

Ich empfang keine Forum-berichten auf w.a.ridderbos(a)xs4all.nl

Im voraus viele Dank!

W.A.Ridderbos aus Holland.

Re: [HN] Web site help, part 2

Date: 2003/09/30 19:43:15
From: Klaus Vahlbruch <Klaus-Vahlbruch(a)T-Online.de>

DeniseTwin(a)aol.com schrieb:
The link didn't work in my prior address, here it is:
<A HREF="http://www.spieltriebgbr.de/plato/antworten/mg10ag4.html";>http://www.spieltriebgbr.de/plato/antworten/mg10ag4.html</A>
thanks for any help
Denise

Hi Denise,
did you get any answer about the translation of this text?
Klaus (Vahlbruch)