[HN] Fw: [OL]Name Oldenburg/Schaefer
Datum 2002/06/19 21:37:21
Susanne Bibrack
Re: [HN] re: the use of the word "uncle"
2002/06/07 01:21:59
Oda
Re: [HN] THANKS! Learning German
Betreff 2002/06/19 21:37:21
Susanne Bibrack
Re: [HN] re: the use of the word "uncle"
2002/06/05 19:53:44
Doris Kirkland
Re: [HN] Dinkgreve, Hoeltermann, Sandt, Hawickhorst, Meyer, Kaetmann, Evers, ...
Autor 2002/06/01 23:40:15
Edlef Pauly
Re: [HN] Oerel/Oerrel

[HN] re: the use of the word "uncle"

Date: 2002/06/19 15:00:16
From: Doug Plowman <dplowman(a)...

Hello:
    I have a question.  Does the use of the word "uncle" in Germany have the
same meaning as the word "uncle" in America.  I have  a situation of a
Heinrich Mackeben born 1825 and my great grandfather Louis Mackeben born
1865.
The children of  Heinrich called my g grandfather "uncle".  A letter from
the church in Rehburg does not seem to confirm that Heinrich and Louis were
brothers. I have not seen the original church book so I have to assume that
the pastor sent me the right information, so my conclusion is that the use
of the word "uncle" has a differant meaning.

Thanks

Doug Plowman