Cherie Richards
Re: I'm back
Datum 2000/05/16 05:16:52
Fred Kattau
Re: I'm back
2000/05/16 04:36:38
Cherie Richards
Re: I'm back
Betreff 2000/05/16 05:16:52
Fred Kattau
Re: I'm back
2000/05/15 05:18:54
Wolfgang Fred Rump
I'm back
Autor 2000/05/16 05:43:34
Wolfgang Fred Rump
Re: I'm back

Date: 2000/05/16 05:14:09
From: Wolfgang Fred Rump <fredrump(a)...

On 15 May 2000, at 8:23, Stephen Kent Ehat wrote:

> I am not sure exactly what his research objective is, but it appears
> from some of his statements of interest that he is interested in
> family history research for his lines in those locations in the
> 1800s.

My interest is only one of general historical inquisitiveness. I think
many of us genealogists share this trait. We look where others
don't
just to see what might be there.

> As to Marshall County, Indiana, on can find twenty-five topics in
> the Family History Library Catalog in the Family History Library of
> the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, all available at a
> family history library nearby Mr. Rump's home.  For example, the
> twenty five topics are:
>
> Place:         Indiana, Marshall
> Notes:         Created 1835 from St. Joseph and Elkhart counties
> Topics:        Indiana, Marshall - Archives and libraries -
> Inventories, registers, catalogs

As I said in my note, there is some information available about the
places I visited in general county and state histories, but nothing
unique to the places themselves.

<snip the list of sources>

> The same results from a search for records for Franklin County,
> Indiana. For example, Mr. Rump does not reveal whether his ancestors
> were Roman Catholic, but if they were, he might find it of interest
> to him that the Roman Catholic Parish registers of the Holy Family
> parish located in Oldenburg, Indiana, recording baptisms,
> communions, confirmations, marriages and deaths for the years 1837
> through 1988 have been microfilmed and are available for research.
> They can be a sort of "history" (perhaps even the type of history he
> is interested in):

My ancestry is scattered all over Germany and Oldenburg is one of
these areas. My interest in going to Oldenburg, IN was strictly to go
see the place and find out a little about its history. The same form
Bremen and other PA Dutch places.

> Sometimes it just takes an introduction to the sources and the
> wonderful new ways to discover them.
>
> Steve.

I'm sure some of us appreciate your 'instructions' but I would
suspect that most of us have been there before.

One does not have to forgo genealogy to be also interested in
places of historical interest or the other way around. The two go
together like apple pie and ice cream. :-)

Fred

normally in Naples or on the road in the Rumplewagen
but presently in Beverly, NJ
609-386-6846
fred(a)...