Re: WM. RIGGERT Birthplace
Re: GRAUSCHOFF surname Germany?
2000/05/11 18:43:42
Re: WM. RIGGERT Birthplace

2000/05/03 04:12:12
Arnold Lang
Re: Theising
Autor 2000/05/20 13:23:42
Arnold Lang
KERKMANN origin in Germany

Re: WM. RIGGERT Birthplace

Date: 2000/05/11 19:53:42
From: Arnold Lang <arnielang(a)...

If you have not done so, I would suggest as a first step to finding
the passenger lists is that you look in Filby's "Germans to America"
to locate your ancestors who arrived in about 1869? I agree with
Diana that you should try various spellings and also check for
Christian as well as William as the first name on the passenger

You should be aware that most passenger lists in that time period
did not include the exact place of birth, but generally only
included the province and country.
To quickly determine if your ancestor's passenger list contained
full information, you may also want to check the following books.
They provide a more complete listing of only those passengers for
whom a specific place of origin is listed in the passenger lists.
Zimmerman "German immigrants; lists of passengers bound from Bremen
to New York 1847-1871". 4 volumes. Baltimore : Genealogical
Publishing Co., 1985-1993.

You may also want to look at Section 4.0 of my Research Guide to
Immigration and Ships Passenger Lists at:  which provides other suggestions for
researching passenger lists in the 1820 to 1891 period.

DE7255(a)... wrote:
> I am searching for the birthplace of my grandfather, William Christian
> Although I have their naturalization papers with the month and year they came
> into New York, I am unable to find them on the ship passenger lists.
> I would appreciate any information as to how to search for my ancestors in
> this area.
> DeEtta (Riggert) Powell

Arnold Lang