DE7255
WM. RIGGERT Birthplace
Datum 2000/05/11 02:15:12
Rensing512
Re: WM. RIGGERT Birthplace
2000/05/10 02:56:34
Dsryder5
FRUECHTE and WUENNECKE
Betreff 2000/05/19 00:13:22
AnnP42
German Emigration Database
2000/05/05 18:01:12
Stephen Kent Ehat
RE: Osnabrück KIEL 1849 & before
Autor 2000/05/11 21:57:30
Stephen Kent Ehat
RE: GRAUSCHOFF surname Germany?

RE: FRUECHTE and WUENNECKE

Date: 2000/05/11 01:59:18
From: Stephen Kent Ehat <ske(a)...

Dear David (and others possibly interested in using this resource):

You mention the name of the town of origin as "Epstop."  Because I could not
find reference to "Epstop" either on the internet generally, or in the
Family History Library Catalog at the FamilySearch Internet Genealogy
Service, located at

http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearc
h&columns=*,180,0

or on any of the internet map systems, such as MapBlast located at

http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/index.mb

and MapQuest located at

http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn%2Ftwn-map_intl_form2&rando
m=271&event=find_search&uid=r3r2v5w412mbn9ch%3A22dz8aq68&SNVData=3mad3-0.fy%
2528wr0u67_h682u.ne%2528y72%2524mm-g67%253bah7-%253d%253a%2528_%253d%253ar5g
672%253df7su6%2528l%25241w-u&country=Germany&address=&city=&State=&Zip=

I went to the "List of German Municipialities," which is found at

http://www.faerber.muc.de/dmoz/de-gemeinden/

and found two entries for municipalities that are located in Hannover and
that appear to have names similar to "Epstop."  They are "Eystrup" and
"Estorf."  You might want to evaluate the origin of your knowledge that the
town of origin is "Epstop" and consider the possibility that the correct
pronunciation (and hence spelling) of it was perhaps misunderstood by a
person hearing it and writing it down or perhaps that it was misread by
someone reading it.

If you search for either of those two towns in the Family History Catalog,
found at

http://www.familysearch.org/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearc
h&columns=*,180,0

you will not find them (perhaps because they are too small or that records
from those towns have not been microfilmed (or both).  Nevertheless, you can
find them on maps.  For example, you can look at

http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn/twn-map_results&event=find
_select&search=Eystrup,+Niedersachsen,+DE&uid=r3r2v5w412mbn9ch:22dz8aq68&lat
=527833&lng=92166&country=DE&level=6&style=2&width=600&height=600

(which resulted from a search of "Eystrup" in MapQuest) and then after
printing out the map, check the nearby towns, one by one, in the Family
History Catalog, just to see if records in the area have been microfilmed.
If so, because you have an exact name and date, you could order the films
and see if your people are on them.  It's a long shot, considering the name
of the town is only a surmise, but it's at least based on a working
hypothesis and worthy of some investigation.

Steve.