Re: Hesse-KIMPEL (KIMBALL)
Re: NEW TO LIST - SURNAME
Re: MACSHEM (MACHSUM)
Re: NEW TO LIST - SURNAME
1998/09/26 11:23:23
SUSAN EDGELL
Re: Hamburn? may be Handrup
Autor 1998/09/08 14:50:24
Susan Long
Re: KLEEN

NEW TO LIST - SURNAME

Date: 1998/09/03 16:01:36
From: Susan Long <sml8289(a)...

Good Morning,

Below is the only information I have on my German ancestor.  I just
recently received this obituary over the internet.  Just yesterday I
found out that Hannover could mean "city"  - - OR -  -  former "Kingdom
of Hannover".  I thought I knew my history pretty well, but guess not!

My ancestor is - - -   "John Ernest Detrich KLEEN"

                       He was born November 30, 1841 in
                       Hannover, Germany

                       Immigrated to U.S. as a boy and joined Union
                       Army in the Civil War.  39th New York Sate
Volunteers:  "Garabaldi Guards"  They have a
                       very nice web page if interested.

Here is the copy of obituary:

>From an abstract of the "Metz Times" of March 3, 1905; courtesy of the
late Dryden Baze, former publisher of this newspaper and his wife
Madge Baze, which was in "The Suttler":

Ernest KLEEN died at 8:15 Thursday night of lung trouble. He had been
ill several months. Services will be conducted at the home by Rev.
M.A. WOLFE at 2 today. Burial in Balltown Cemetery. John Ernest
Detrich KLEEN was born at Hanover, Germany November 31, 1841, and was
64 years, 3 months and 1 day old. He came to America when but a boy
and located in New York State. In 1861 he enlisted in a New York
Regiment and served three years in the war between the states. He also
served three years in the regular army. He came to Missouri in 1870
and on August 24, 1874 married Miss Mattie CHARLES. Six children born
to them, all of whom were at his bedside with their mother at his
death. They are Mrs. Della BINGLE, Wyandott, I.T., Mrs. Rosa BOWERS of
May, MO, Mrs Birdie DARR and John, Loyd and Arthur KLEEN of Metz, MO.
He was a member of the GAR and was a kind and considerate husband and
father.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Susan Long