Karl Federschmidt
Re: Genealogical archive in Nuernberg
Datum 1998/12/04 17:44:35
Bruno Bauernschmidt
Genealogical archive in Nuernberg
1998/12/13 12:04:02
Rafal Prinke
Stiebar Rittergeschlecht
Betreff

1998/12/02 02:36:01
W. Fred Rump
Re: Genealogical archive in Nuernberg
Autor

www,genealogy.com is dead

Date: 1998/12/03 22:24:39
From: W. Fred Rump <fred(a)...

Hi,
I'm sorry to have to announce that Brigitte and Fred Lloyd
yesterday sold the site name genealogy.com to Broderbund. They
made this decision without consulting with anybody on the German
genealogy team and cut off access to the system to all page
maintainers even before they announced the transaction.

Personally I feel betrayed that not I, not anybody, could be trusted
with this news, so that an orderly transfer could have taken place,
before the actyal access was cut off. The physical name title
transfer will not happen until later this month so that there would
have been plenty of time.

The members of the 'team' have worked for many years to make
genealogy.com into an address most genealogists have in their
bookmark files for easy and quick access. It will provide
Broderbund with easy and cheap access to what will now become
their site. The data is of course not part of the deal and we have
quickly made www.genealogy.net and www2.genealogy.net into
alternative access sites.

As one of your list managers and one of the individuals involved in
building up German internet genealogy from scratch, I must say
that they certainly had a right to sell the name but it will forever
leave black marks on my fingers were I, at any future time, to type
'www.genealogy.com' to access anything there as a Broderbund
URL.

Fred

The Rumps at
Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
4788 Corian Court
Naples, FL 34114-9418
941-775-7838   PS Genealogists live in the past lane